PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessment for changing nappies?

cherry
19-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I've just had my Surestart Outlook magazine and there is a suppliment called
Personal care policy.

Under Health and Safety it says "A risk assessment for changing and disposal of nappies should be carried out"

Does anyone know if this relates to just nurseries and schools or are childminders expected to have one.

melanieabigail2004
19-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't have a risk assessment but I do mention it under safety and health in my policies.

I mention that gloves are worn, nappies disposed of in outside bin, changing mat cleaned down with antiseptic spray after each use etc. Shows good practice for Ofsted.

Mel

Mollymop
19-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh great - another risk assessment to add to my ever growing "to do list" haha

Heaven Scent
19-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I got something about it on Bromley Childminders web site they have policies for just about everything you could think of - I'm not sure if they have one regarding numbers of squares of loo paper mindees should use or removal of own ear wax :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but most other things are covered - Well worth a look

brillminder
19-09-2008, 04:41 PM
we could get the children to change own nappies , but they must be over 18 lol

crazybones
19-09-2008, 04:52 PM
A couple of the nappies I changed today from my teething lo could have done with a Government Health Warning let alone a risk assessment. Have used all her change of clothes up and sent her home in my son's old PJ's as they were the only thing that fitted her. :rolleyes:

mertonparker
19-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi, probably going to be another usless piece of info but feel the urge to pass it on just in case it isnt if you know what I mean:o Ive read somewhere but sorry cant back it up by saying where...It said that you must dispose of the nappies in nappy sacks and that you have to DOUBLE bag them before dispoing of in an outside dustbin with a lid on for health & safety, hygiene reasons. Sorry cant quote from anywhere though...Has anyone else heard/read about this?

mertonparker.x

Chimps Childminding
19-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi, probably going to be another usless piece of info but feel the urge to pass it on just in case it isnt if you know what I mean:o Ive read somewhere but sorry cant back it up by saying where...It said that you must dispose of the nappies in nappy sacks and that you have to DOUBLE bag them before dispoing of in an outside dustbin with a lid on for health & safety, hygiene reasons. Sorry cant quote from anywhere though...Has anyone else heard/read about this?

mertonparker.x
Not sure about double bagging, but does anyone have wheelie bins? We are due to get ours in the new year and it appears that the bin you would put the nappies in will only be collected fortnightly :panic: does anyone else have this and if so does the bin STINK???????? sorry just needed to ask! :D

fiona
19-09-2008, 10:03 PM
hello... we have wheelie bins and the smell is rank, it is worse in the summer months (or should i say the warmer weather) i have also heard they should be double bagged something to do with bodily fluids, we were told this on our ICP course along with wearing gloves and a apron to feed a baby expressed breast milk!!!!!!!

so another risk assesment to write... i ask all parents to provide a small changing mat, so i have one for every child, i clean them after each change and put them in the washing machine on a friday night.

ty
fin

crazybones
20-09-2008, 06:39 AM
My inspector said double bag and outside bin. I didnt have any needing changing while she was here so she asked what I did with nappy changing. I told her the routine and she prompted me saying "Is that 2 bags then?" So I agreed with her and she said that was great.

We have a 2 week collection and the wheelie bin stinks but not as much as the food caddy and that gets collected weekly :panic:

sarah707
20-09-2008, 06:57 AM
I've heard the double bagging one before as well...

We wash out my wheely bin with disinfectant after every collection and it still stinks :(

christine e
20-09-2008, 07:03 AM
I have my wheelie bin cleaned by bin cleaning co and put this down on my expenses.

Cx

miffy
20-09-2008, 07:15 AM
I've never heard the double bagging one before - how am I supposed to save the planet if I do that? :laughing:

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
21-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Oh great!!! at the moment we have a brown wheelie bin for garden rubbish and that smells bad enough!!!:laughing: So by the time I have got all these smelly bins outside my house, I won't need to worry about the nappy's stinking because no one will come within 100 yards of my house never mind leave their children with me!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

sue m
21-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I've heard about double bagging too. I put one nappy in my bin on Friday and opened it to put something else in yesterday and it nearly knocked me over! If you have a 'solid poo' :panic: it can go down the loo can't it but not when they're 'runny'. Sorry if you've just eaten!! I have. :D

sarah707
21-09-2008, 05:06 PM
I found this... it is not my work! Hope it helps!

Bushpig
21-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I've heard about double bagging too. I put one nappy in my bin on Friday and opened it to put something else in yesterday and it nearly knocked me over! If you have a 'solid poo' :panic: it can go down the loo can't it but not when they're 'runny'. Sorry if you've just eaten!! I have. :D

I pop nappy in one deodorised bag, then in the black bag in the bin.. is this not double bagging then? Are they meaning we should put two deodorised bags over the nappies... then we'd have three bags in the bin...??

Blaze
21-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I knew about double bagging, but nappies go in the inside bin (lidded)...which when full is transferred to the outside wheelie bin...if this isn't good enough then tough...I am not trapsing outside with every nappy change!:p

sue m
21-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Gawd knows! I put them in a nappy sack - don't they smell lovely! - and then in a carrier bag and then in my wheelie bin.

kiddiwinks
22-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I never heard of double bagging the nappies but i always do or even put in 3 with really smelly nappies. I do find this helps when going to the bin a little while after as you dont get knocked out by smell.

jmoff
22-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Gawd knows! I put them in a nappy sack - don't they smell lovely! - and then in a carrier bag and then in my wheelie bin.

the same here...

I have been told this by my network co-orinator

Jana x

PaulaR
22-09-2008, 05:53 PM
thanks for that Sarah. I didn't realise I was doing so many important things when I changed a nappy.

Twinkles
22-09-2008, 06:01 PM
OH good grief !!!! Where will it all end ? Maybe they should issue us with napalm guns and we could give the nappies a blast before we triple bag them and call the bomb squad :panic:

Lincsminder
22-09-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't have any mindies in nappies at the moment but when I did I used to send the nappies home. I was told we shouldn't put human waste into a house hold bin and I can't afford to have the yellow bags taken away for disposal so found this was the easies option.

Amaranth
22-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I double bag nappies but they go in my inside bin. I thought that we were not supposed to leave children alone? Surely that's what would be happening every time we change a nappy? What would happen if we went outside in the rain, slipped and knocked ourselves out? the child would be left in the house alone. Surely there's more of a risk doing that than putting it in a bin inside? I know I'm being a bit dramatic, but it could happen!!:eek:
Can you tell that I'm trying to get my answer ready for when the dreaded ofsted come (My last inspection was 3 yrs ago today and I'm hoping they are running well behind!)

Rubybubbles
22-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I single bag wee nappies and put inside bin (I have one for nappies! otherwise my bin would fill tres quickly) I double wrap pooey ones and put straight into outside bin (which I also have a huge black bag in:o )

Hubby was home today and said I frgot how much nappy sacks make you think of poo:laughing:

buildingblocks
24-09-2008, 11:18 AM

mertonparker.x

I have also seen this somewhere but no idea where if anyone knows would be grateful but bang goes my green policy what a waste of nappy sacks.

lauredt
29-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Now I hear you all say yuck, but when I change bums upstairs (before naps, for example) the poey ones usually gets chucked out of the bathroom window, as they are too smelly to stay more than 3 mns in the house. They fortunately usually miss the porch roof and land on the recycling bins by the front door, where I will tend to forget them until it is time for the school run. Just in case you came for a visit, remember to take cover!!!

sue m
29-09-2008, 09:22 PM
LOL, I have a 14 month old and a 2.5 year old who still poos in his pull ups so I open the patio doors and put them on a changing mat,
very near the door (!) change their nappies, wiping down between each one mind even though they are brother and sister and then put the nappies in the nappy sacks, put them in another bag and sling them out of the door onto the drive until I go out and put them in the bin when the children have gone.

Bushpig
30-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I have a 10 litre bin in my kitchen for kitchen waste and then another like it which I keep just outside balcony doors to the side (out of sight)... so I just lean out and to the side - and am never away from the kids, plus bin is outside... the kids cannot get into this area as there is a child gate.

At the end of the day I take all nappies from this bin and waste from the other in the kitchen and pop into yet another black bag and pop it outside in the giant proper bin.

donnahay0
30-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Don't know if it is right or not but I double bag soiled nappies and single bag wet ones.

I don't know quite what we are supposed to do because we are meant to have a positive attitude to being environmentally friendly. Not only do I have to chop down a tree on a daily basis to do my paperwork I now have to use more plastic to double bag a nappy - to be honest if one isn't good enough then the manufacturer should make them thicker in the first place. :angry: It gets right on my wick.

sue
22-10-2008, 09:54 PM
I found this... it is not my work! Hope it helps!

thank you alot of help and will be very useful:)

mummyof3
22-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't get it!?!? Why 2 nappy sacks if they are placed in a bin that is kept outside? They stink by the way, I have a 2yr old and after a week of placing his nappies in the bin when you open the bin the smell hits you really hard!

I had to laugh, we just got the new wheelie bins and they were doing spot checks by a man in a suit to check no products for recycling were in the bin - he opened my bin and his face was a picture as the smell of my sons latest nappy at the top and a week of poo's hit his nostrils. I hadn't laughed so much in ages :laughing:

DudleyChildmind
23-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Are we supposed to put nappies straight outside?

If I do that I would have to go out the front door and walk back up the drive to put it in a bin liner. I don't want to have to leave the children to do that.