PDA

View Full Version : 4 weeks notice!

barbarella68
17-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi I am being a bit previous but I have just had a lady see me and she wants care for a 6 year old during holidays and half terms and teacher training days,she was really happy with me and is coming on saturday to introduce me to her daughter and to sign contracts but a question has just popped into my head,as I will not see the lady for probably weeks on end does the 4 week rule still apply for both sides, so if she gave 4 weeks would she still have to pay me 4 weeks money.
This is the first holiday cover I have done and usually only do term time only,also how can I give her 4 weeks notice if it is term time(am I explaining this right)and I couldn't fulfill my end of the bargain as the child is at school.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I use NCMA contracts and I would say that 4 weeks notice is required and that is time worked.

fluffysocks
17-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Hmm, thats a difficult one. Sorry only just getting started and haven't thought that far ahead. Maybe a phone call to NCMA might help you.

devoncm
18-09-2008, 09:01 AM
not sure on this one hun, i would probably think from when starting tho.

CCJD
18-09-2008, 07:29 PM
I personally would say notice of 4 normal calendar weeks (not working weeks) needs to be given to terminate the contract- if these 4 weeks fall during term time then obviously no payment is due, if the 4 weeks falls over a period of time where you are due to care for the children then payment is due. I view notice periods as an opportunity for you to fill the vacancy that will be left and for her to find alternative care if you can no longer accomodate - I would see no reason why either of us couldn't give notice during term time when the children were not with me.
No doubt other childminders will do this differently which is why you are right to consider how you are going offer this service so that you and mum fully understand this point (4 working weeks notice could span several months and mum may not be prepared to do this).
Good luck whichever way you choose.

miffy
18-09-2008, 08:29 PM
I agree with CCJD and this is what the NCMA advises too - see page 58 of their handbook

Miffy xx

Tatia
21-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I agree with CCJD and Miffy except I only ask for and give 2 weeks notice (NCMA contracts advise min of 2 weeks, max of 4). I have some children only during term time and others only durings hols and if I or the parent needed to give notice, I'd accept it from the time they gave it to me, not when they are next expected to be with me.

It gets grey when you are having the child regularly and planning a holiday. You can't use that holiday period as notice and neither can the parent (unless you both agree).