PDA

View Full Version : Allowable business miles?

claireLouise
15-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Hi Guys,

I am currently having a "debate" with my hubby.

I plan to claim to 40p per mile for business trips and plan to buy a mileage book from Staples. I was only going to claim trips exclusively for my childminding e.g. trips to zoo etc. However my hubby says I can claim for trips to the supermarket. As I do the mindees shopping and my family shopping together I did not think this was allowed.

What do others claim?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Claire

Jules27
15-09-2008, 06:07 AM
This was covered on my ICP course and I believe our tutor said if this was the case you could claim half the petrol costs. Maybe someone else will be along soon with more knowledge than me!!!!:)

Bushpig
15-09-2008, 06:26 AM
I agree with your hubby! :) I had never thought of it myself...

sarah707
15-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Anything you buy, anywhere you go, anything you do which benefits the minded children...

You claim either the full amount or a %, depending on whether you'd have bought it / gone there / done it anyway :D

wendywu
15-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Yes this is correct. I used to do this but now claim half of the delivery charge and order it online.

I put through petrol and parking if i go into yown on a sat or sun to buy a item for minding. :)

NikNak
15-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I put in as much mileage as possible. As long as its reasonable how can the tax inspector argue! You can also argue that you went to the shop/town/park etc purely for mindees. I certainly do.x

Chatterbox Childcare
15-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I agree with hubby and if I did a big shop I would put the mileage in. However, if I nipped into the local supermarket/spar shop for something I had forgotten or needed for the weekend I wouldn't.

If it is for the mindees - claim it

claireLouise
15-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks everyone, will start claiming those miles

Claire:)