PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessment - can you check mine

Tammy
12-09-2008, 08:20 PM
This is the first risk assesment I've done. Could I email it to anyone willing to read it to make sure I'm doing the right thing?

Also when you risk assess places that you visit ie. toddler groups, parks etc do you risk assess in advance remembering what is there or literally walk around with a pen and paper risk assessing when you arrive? I can imagine that's quite a strange thing to do?

Sam

Chatterbox Childcare
12-09-2008, 08:56 PM
I have done one risk assessment for walking and another for the car.

When I do a risk assessment to the park I put see Outings:Walking and then any hazards getting to the park and in the park (see Bromley).

That way I don't keep repeating the same thing

I have done only a few:

Cinema, swimming pool, others houses, parks, shops, non routine, indoor play areas

Hope that helps

mertonparker
12-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi There,

I have done risk assessments for the sch runs, both in the car and walking. all toddler groups we attend as each setting is different. libraries, park, lakes, other childminders house for coffe mornings & all outings to beach, farms etc etc.
I used a template off bromley and then adapted to suit the various settings.

good luck with yours

mertonparker.x

mummyroysof3
13-09-2008, 12:37 PM
hi this might seem a strange question but im still really stuck with doing my outings risk assesments

i went to monkey mania our local soft play area and saw loads of things that could be risks, my children found them all lol

they dont shut the gate that leads to behind the counter and kitchen area

because the handles are low on the toilet doors and yo cant see the toilets from the seating area, worried about them disapearing into them on their own

gate that leads out of soft play area has a broken latch

what shall i do? at the moment i run round like a looney stopping the kids playing with the bin etc

how do word a risk assesment like that? am i suposed to ask them to shut gate/mend latch etc?

charlotte x

Tatia
14-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I'd ask the staff to fix it or maybe change their policy, definitely. But if they don't, then note on your risk assessment that you are aware of the problem and then state how you intend to keep the children safe despite the problem. What are you doing at the moment to compensate for safety hazards?

miffy
14-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I'd ask the staff to fix it or maybe change their policy, definitely. But if they don't, then note on your risk assessment that you are aware of the problem and then state how you intend to keep the children safe despite the problem. What are you doing at the moment to compensate for safety hazards?

I agree with Tatia, although you have your basic risk assessment you should also be noting when other risks/hazards occur together with what you did or need to do about it and if you need to do something about it a note to say when you've done that

Does that make sense?

Miffy xx

Tatia
14-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Perfect sense, Miffy because you cannot remove ALL risk (and you shouldn't). The risk assessment is about showing how you will manage to reduce the chances of a child being harmed because you are aware of the potential dangers like traffic (wrist straps, teaching children to walk with you, hold onto buggy, stop when you say) or climbing frames (supervision, age-appropriate, soft play surface to land on).

All the stuff we ask ourselves and now muct committ to paper!:rolleyes: