PDA

View Full Version : storing photos on computer

Kaz
12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi - can anyone tell me whether I need to register with data protection if I save photos of minded children on my computer? I don't save names or anything, just the photos. Thanks for your help.

hello kitty
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm not too sure. One of my mums is a solicitor and she said as long as the computer is password protected that should be OK. But I'm not sure and would be interested to know the answer from somewhere official - don't know where. However I think to register it is about £35 ish.

sue m
12-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I'd be interested to know too. I have loads of photos of my lo's and have them under their first names. The parents are fine about it and I put any new photos on to my memory stick and Dad takes it home and puts them onto a disc.

sarah707
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
If a childcare business has information on individuals on computer
they may need to register under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Currently, registration costs £35 per year.

If you store information on a computer you can find out if you are exempt by calling -

01625 545740 or visiting: http://www.dpr.gov.uk

tashaleee
02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
After giving this number a call today it would seem that many of us should be registered since the EYFS introduction (I was told any form of observation kept on the computer - even photos with tags - is enough!) - my local authority seems to know nothing about it though, even though I have asked them several times.

Mollymop
02-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't have thought so, not for pictures - I suppose if there is info with the photos such as the child's last names and dates of birth I suppose we would have to then. Not too sure.

kiddiwinks
02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I was told last Friday by some one from early years that i may need to register, i phoned them when the lady left.

The woman who i spoke to read a statment off for childminders and that said i did need to as even if you just use the computer to print from your camera and then delete everthing off your computer some wizz kid could come along and find everything.
i then asked how it works as on reading notes before i rang it read some where about encripting everything on computer incase it was stolen.
She said that registering with them does not do anything really all it does is if some one complains to them they can say that you on data protection act list.

She then put me through to some one else who said that i would not need to register, he even asked some one else to make sure. He said as long as i got parents to sign about pictures etc it is fine.

I came of phone wondering really if i do or dont need to