PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Help needed please!

Schnakes
11-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi everyone. I had a little girl start week, full time...really lovely family etc. BUT! Mum has just told me that the childs grandmother will be looking after her for a month, and she wants to take leave on top of that. )So basically no pay for Nov and Dec) Her contract clearly states that the discount period only covers 4 weeks of annual leave (and for all new contracts I shall be adding that the leave IS NOT to be taken consecutively!!!). I will ask her in to discuss this when she collects her daughter this afternoon, but I also want to write a letter to re-iterate my point.

Im so :censored: off. She didnt mention this at all before - probably cos she knew I wouldnt take her on!!! Anyway - Im pretty desperate to keep her on (financially) so although I want to be quite firm about this, I also want to treat the matter with kid gloves!!

Any tips on how to deal with it?

Cheers,

Sx

sarah707
11-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Sounds like she's trying to save money :(

I suppose it depends on how much you want to push it...

You could say you've got the money earmarked with Christmas coming up and wouldn't have taken her on if you'd known - maybe you had another child waiting in the wings but chose this one because it was one more day a week or something?

Otherwise push your contract... one month off a year, so the other month has to be paid. Would it be easier for her to pay 2 weeks from each month, to balance out the payments...?

Hope this helps :D

miffy
11-09-2008, 07:30 AM
I think you're right to discuss this with mum but think you will have to point out what she's agreed in the contract so if child is looked after by gran for 4 weeks that's it and if mum then takes leave in December she will still have to pay.

I think I might use the angle that it would be disruptive for the child if she has just settled with you and then doesn't come for 8 weeks, but however you choose to approach it I think you're going to have to be very firm here.

Good idea to put in writing afterwards whatever is agreed and keep a copy

Good luck

Miffy xx

Pedagog
11-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Tricky one, no help I'm afraid, but I would be pretty annoyed too.

angeldelight
11-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I think you're right to discuss this with mum but think you will have to point out what she's agreed in the contract so if child is looked after by gran for 4 weeks that's it and if mum then takes leave in December she will still have to pay.

I think I might use the angle that it would be disruptive for the child if she has just settled with you and then doesn't come for 8 weeks, but however you choose to approach it I think you're going to have to be very firm here.

Good idea to put in writing afterwards whatever is agreed and keep a copy

Good luck

Miffy xx

I have to agree with Miffy

I would def make her pay for December its her problem not yours

I had a parent like this ages ago - the gran was always having the child - in the end I got rid of her I think she just used me when the gran couldnt have the child

So I hope your parent is not going to be like this

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xxx

katickles
11-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Oh thats a hard one, I have no additional advice but just wanted to say goo dluck with mum this afternoon x

Bushpig
11-09-2008, 08:07 AM
I mentioned a situ (which I currently have) where mum asked me if gran could look after her for 6 weeks as she was holidaying with them, and I told her she'd lose her space. (There is no way I can just have my salary cut willy nilly due to family visiting! Family visit often and there has to be a firm rule on this one area) Plus she knows I have a waiting list, so knows she would lose it immediately. It was her choice, and she stayed.

Stick to your guns, keep it businesslike and try not to let her know you are desperate, even if you are :( Parents do put us in rather awkward situs sometimes to save money.. but they need to realise it's our LIVING. I doubt she'd like her boss to tell her there was no work for the next 2 months, so no salary either...

Tell her you cannot have your income affected so much and that you would have no choice but to advertise the vacancy and there was a good chance she might then lose her place with you. I would also let her know you are disappointed she never mentioned this before signing. Then the balls in her court as to taking that chance.

Schnakes
11-09-2008, 11:35 AM
If anyone has a minute I would be grateful if you would check out the letter I have typed and let me know what you think. Ive put it in the members only area.

Thank you for all your replies. Im still livid but much calmer than I was this morning so cheers. :)

Sx

Chatterbox Childcare
11-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I would advise mum that you are working to the terms of the contract and if she removes her for 4 weeks for gran then that would be taken as leave and that you would require payment for December.

Mollymop
11-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I've just read your other thread - letter. I think the letter is great.

Just wanted to say - good luck, I hope the parent is fine about it, after all most childminders do charge full fee for holidays, so you are helping her out and she should be appreichative of that x

angeldelight
13-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Good luck next week now

Angel xx