PDA

View Full Version : What to charge for Just after School??

chez1373
08-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi all,
I have a little girl just starting school and i am to pick her up from school and have her untill 8pm 4/5 days a week there not set days as mum is on a rota so my quetion is what do i charge just for after school is there a minimum i should charge or should i just charge my normal hourly rate??

So there not set days so thats a problem already
an do i put set days down an if she doesnt need it she still pays or should i just do it every day mon-fri if she needs it she can if not she still pays??

I also have her old brother 4 til 8pm same nights??

Help please mum is waiting for me too tell her an i dont want to underrcharge or over charge thanks in advance

Pipsqueak
08-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Personally I charge my normal rate for before and after schoolers (£3.50 ph per child including snacks and drinks), I also charge more after 6pm £4ph per child. I also charge extra for an evening meal. This is just me though.

charmed3ps
08-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi
Its really up to you! - That makes it even harder eh?
What you could do to make it easier is charge a flat weekly rate regardless of hours and you can come to an agreement between you what this would be - what the parent has to remember is that you loose out because you are very unlikely to be able to fill that gap with another child. Personally I would charge a higher rate after 5 or 6 pm anyway and I would probably go down the route of charging for 4 and a half days every week which should balance out. However you are entitled to charge for the whole 5 under the circumstances. Basically it is what you feel comfortable with and what the parent is happy/can afford to pay. I already charge a higher rate for part time children and you can charge for the time you are travelling to school to collect and if you collect by car then you can also charge 40 - 45p per mile mileage.
Hope this helps
Sara x

chez1373
08-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Well im not happy at all...

Told mum id put her on mon to fri 3.30 - 8pm charge her the normal rate i always do and she wasnt happy...

I dont have her son on contracted hrs ive got him on as and when required but he always comes so i thought id put him on the contract ie the hrs he normally comes

oh no he has to stay on the as an when required so basically im workin 16hrs ish a week for one child an as an when required but she gets 26hrs each child in tax credits im fuming im sooo mad i cant tell you.

Ive had to come away as i just wanna cry these are my only 2 children the min and i rely on their fees

Minstrel
08-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Surely she cant tell you what to charge. I agree negotiate but thats taking the p***. I would tell her son goes on contract or you cant have him. You will be missing out on hol and his sickness pay too if he isnt even contracted whilst she'll be quids in!
Advertise like mad and get yourself better parents!

Pipsqueak
08-09-2008, 05:09 PM
You should have a contract for each child - even if its an as and when situation.

Tell her that you have reviewed the situation and each child will be have a contract. Sounds like she wants it her way, fair enough compromise if it suits you but its your business your rules. If she don't like it she can goes elsewhere but I think she knows she is onto a good thing here.

I would charge a flat rate for variable hours I think, or put in minimum hours charged for to cover the weeks you perhaps don't have them so often. You can make it sound really attractive by saying that you will only charge min hours for one child and keep the other on a as and when contract basis. This is the flat rate for xx child £xx and this is per hour at a discount price (knock 25p or so off) for second child - but this is the way its gonna be

chez1373
08-09-2008, 05:49 PM
The son does have his own contract but where it says hrs its just says as and when required ive tried to tell her i need to put him some hrs in there but she just said she would prefer it if he stys on as and when required im just soo gutted ive just set my own group up on facebook and ive phoned to update my details on the childcare link website im gonna print some flyers off and go around my local shops etc

Ive got to do something im gonna have to get another job at this rate lol
right rant over thanks for all your advice im not gonna get it myown way im too soft but one day when they least exspect it ill be there to say NO....

Pipsqueak
08-09-2008, 06:14 PM
the thing is chez you can get it your way and you can say no. I know perhaps the thought gets you trembling now but once you've done it......:)
I think she knows she is onto a good thing - and I think she will struggle with finding alternative childrcare at the conditions she is setting on you. I think you will find you have the upper hand here - you are allowing her to think that she is your be all and end all.

chez1373
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
the thing is chez you can get it your way and you can say no. I know perhaps the thought gets you trembling now but once you've done it......:)
I think she knows she is onto a good thing - and I think she will struggle with finding alternative childrcare at the conditions she is setting on you. I think you will find you have the upper hand here - you are allowing her to think that she is your be all and end all.

You are right in every word u have said and i know this and she knows this too.
I think i will give it a week and see how it goes but she is claiming 52hrs a week and only contracted to 18 at the min it is goin up tomorrow to 26hrs a week

Chatterbox Childcare
08-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I would charge until 6pm £14.00 for the first child and £12.00 for the 2nd per night including tea. From 6pm I would charge time and half based on £3.50 per hour

Each night would then be £47.00

chez1373
08-09-2008, 07:43 PM
I think she would pass out if i charged that lol

I charge £4 an hour for each child so that 8£ an hour,
So if i give u an example of next week.. which will be in the school time

Tue 3.30pm-8pm 4an half hrs (5yr old)
4pm - 8pm 4hrs (12yr old)

Wed 3.30pm-8pm 4 an half hrs (5yr old)
4pm- 8pm 4 hrs (12yr old)

Thu 3.30pm-7.30pm 4 hrs (5yr old)
4pm - 7.30pm 3 an half hrs (12)

Sat 12-8 8hrs each

thats 16 an half for 5yr old
15 for 12 yr old

so thats no where near 26 each and i know that the 12yr old will not come 4 til 8 as mum will say he is old enough to look after himself for that time (she has done this before)

So i am likely to do 16hrs a week and she will pocket the rest im just gob smacked an i dont know what to do really im sorry if im just goin on an on but i just feel used an abused

On a lighter note ive just had an enquiry but not holdin my breath

cloud9
11-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I think she would pass out if i charged that lol

I charge £4 an hour for each child so that 8£ an hour,
So if i give u an example of next week.. which will be in the school time

Tue 3.30pm-8pm 4an half hrs (5yr old)
4pm - 8pm 4hrs (12yr old)

Wed 3.30pm-8pm 4 an half hrs (5yr old)
4pm- 8pm 4 hrs (12yr old)

Thu 3.30pm-7.30pm 4 hrs (5yr old)
4pm - 7.30pm 3 an half hrs (12)

Sat 12-8 8hrs each

thats 16 an half for 5yr old
15 for 12 yr old

so thats no where near 26 each and i know that the 12yr old will not come 4 til 8 as mum will say he is old enough to look after himself for that time (she has done this before)

So i am likely to do 16hrs a week and she will pocket the rest im just gob smacked an i dont know what to do really im sorry if im just goin on an on but i just feel used an abused

On a lighter note ive just had an enquiry but not holdin my breath

She cant pocket the rest as at the end of the year she can only declare what she has actually paid and she will then have to pay back overpayments. if she lies about this then she risks more trouble!

chez1373
11-09-2008, 10:28 AM
She cant pocket the rest as at the end of the year she can only declare what she has actually paid and she will then have to pay back overpayments. if she lies about this then she risks more trouble!

So at the end of the year she has to declare what hours she has used etc???
If this is the case i need to tell her really i dont want her to get in trouble but if she is claimin it i want it the min hours to my contract.