PDA

View Full Version : news letter

jellytot
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
hi would really like to do news letters for parents but have not got a clue how to go about it. would any1 be kind enough to let me see an example of yours for some ideas.

DudleyChildmind
07-09-2008, 08:09 AM
I'd be interested too please :)

sarah707
07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
My newsletter – ideas for contents :D

•Themes from last month and what we did / enjoyed including festivals we have celebrated;

•Themes for this month;

•Other things happening eg World Book Day, school stuff;

•Outings – have we been anywhere exciting? Are we planning an outing this month?

•Children’s news including birthdays, welcomes and goodbyes;

•New toys, equipment, games etc added to resources and an explanation of their benefits to the children;

•Achievements of individual children in or out of the setting;

•Dates for diary - term dates for school children, my holidays, any time off or days not free in the future month?

•Business news - what have I been reviewing from my paperwork during the month? Have I done any training?

•Policies & procedures – changes or updates;

•EYFS information;

•Toddler or singing groups news;

•Childcare news – from Ofsted, parent websites, other bits and bobs I've spotted they might be interested in reading;

•Weather needs – depending on weather, don’t forget hats, gloves, sun cream every morning etc;

•Requests – items I might need for crafts, bread for the ducks etc;

•Messages to all – don’t forget if you arrive early I might not be up; pay date this month is … if different; can everyone remember to close the gate; problems with dog mess on road outside, please be careful etc…

•Occasional health reminders – sickness, head lice;

•Recipes – for messy play / things children have enjoyed doing / food etc;

•Vacancy information;

•Poems or jokes.

Jules12Wed
07-09-2008, 08:53 AM
I was going to ask for ideas too but think you have given enough to write a book each month for parents! Thanks.

Tatia
07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you a few copies of my newsletter to give you some ideas. I use text boxes for the content and add lots of clip art, photos and tidbits to mine. Obviously, what you write will be individual for your setting but I always like looking at other people's for inspiration.

jellytot
07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
thanks sarah gots loads of ideas there

:thumbsup:

miffy
07-09-2008, 08:48 PM
WOW Sarah - I couldn't fit all that into my newsletter!

I only like to do one A4 sheet - I reckon parents will be bored if it's any longer than that :laughing:

Miffy xx

angeldelight
08-09-2008, 07:11 AM

•Themes from last month and what we did / enjoyed including festivals we have celebrated;

•Themes for this month;

•Outings – have we been anywhere exciting? Are we planning an outing this month?

•New toys, equipment, games etc added to resources and an explanation of their benefits to the children;

•Dates for diary - term dates for school children, my holidays, any time off or days not free in the future month?

•Business news - what have I been reviewing from my paperwork during the month? Have I done any training?

•EYFS information;

•Childcare news – from Ofsted, parent websites, other bits and bobs I've spotted they might be interested in reading;

•Weather needs – depending on weather, don’t forget hats, gloves, sun cream every morning etc;

•Messages to all – don’t forget if you arrive early I might not be up; pay date this month is … if different; can everyone remember to close the gate; problems with dog mess on road outside, please be careful etc…

•Vacancy information;

•Poems or jokes.

Blimey Sarah thats more than our local school does ha

Angel xx

sarah707
08-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Blimey I don't put all those every month :panic:

It's only one side of A4...

I just use that as my ideas in case I'm short of something to write :D

angeldelight
08-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Thank goodness for that haha

Angel xx

PaulaR
08-09-2008, 08:02 PM
That's put me off doing a newsletter :)
I might do one this month adn they'd expect teh same next month

DudleyChildmind
09-09-2008, 05:40 AM
I usually tell the parents things like that but I did my first newsletter yesterday and I really enjoyed doing it :thumbsup:

polobear1970
09-09-2008, 07:17 AM
been thinking about doing a news letter, after all whats a bit more paperwork:eek:

jellytot
09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
done my first newsletter, just hope the parents actually read it now

donnahay0
09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
I just handed my first newsletter out at the beginning of this month and will do one quarterly.

Only one parent commented and she only said "oh this is posh" - not one comment - makes you feel like why should we bother. Still now my first one has been done it shouldn't take long to do the next one.

Still waiting for my son to finish my web site - I don't expect the parents will care about that either.

For the record I liked my newsletter, so did my neighbour (who proof read it) and I feel quite proud.

Jules12Wed
09-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I've done mine too but mine is for October, didn't think it was worth doing one for this month as its almost over and I'd be be doing another in about two weeks so i'llhave to wait for another couple of weeks to see what my parents responses are!!

jellytot
10-09-2008, 01:01 PM
how often do you do a newsletter i was thinking monthly

HilaryT
10-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi

I do a newsletter termly. I have just given my parents the autumn one, with details of the EYFS again for them, as well as my holiday arrangements for Christmas New Year, and next summer.

I keep my letters very short and to the point, as most of them don't want long epistles as they're too busy to read! I also put a funny photo in, to help it go down well.

Hilary

DudleyChildmind
10-09-2008, 07:02 PM
One of my parents didn't comment on the newsletter; one of them said it was good and the other said it was alright :rolleyes:

I will send them out when I have any news to report.

tashaleee
11-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I found it varies with my parents. Some I print off and hand over, some I email. On the last one I did something wrong with the email and 2 of the parents actually told me they couldnt read the newsletter and could I please resend it as they enjoy seeing them. Was surprised as Ive had parents in the past who I reckon just binned it and never read it....:rolleyes:

Andrea08
11-09-2008, 10:46 AM
WOW FAB IDEAS BUT IM LUCKY IF PARENTS WILL BE INTERESTED
or just put it in the bin? ill ask but it would be interesting if i could do one and put it on d notice board and if parents want a copy i could print one off!!

ok so who wants to be my secretary?

think by the time i have finished it will be time to start again ...

ill give it a go did you use power point ?

carlen222
25-01-2010, 09:26 PM

•Themes for this month;

•EYFS information;

•Vacancy information;

•Poems or jokes.

fantastic!!! wish id come acrosst his earlier, then my 2 newsletter i have produced would be much more interesting!!!! xx