PDA

View Full Version : Interest.

shelly04
30-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas as how to get a 9,7,6,2 and 1year old into multi-cultural activities etc and to keep them interested. Some do get bored easily as I have said in previous threads.

Shelly
:)

Chatterbox Childcare
30-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I have done place mats. Asked parents to bring postcards back off of their holidays to show the food, homes and dress of the locals. We laminate them and the children use them for food times.

We also made faces out of plates, stickers and wool for hair.

If they are not interested, you have tried various activities, try something else that does interest them.

sarah707
31-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Good ideas there from Debbie...

It's not really about getting children to do something multicultural... it's more about being multicultural and disability aware in everything you do...

So if you are baking, compare eggs for colour, shape and size and marvel at the fact they are all the same inside... if you are making a picture, use some skin tone crayons or pencils and discuss which coloured skin / hair / eyes / clothes they will give the people... in September, you can have fun celebrating Mexican Independence day - photos of children in sombreros, make and smash pinatas... in October collect some tubes with parents support and make a big column with Nelson on top, looking out over France to celebrate Trafalgar Day... have posters with children of all nationalities, colours and abilities 'just there' not specially placed for show...

It's about your enthusiasm as well... if you say you are going to cover some festival from another country, get your planning in place and ask children whether they would like to bake, colour, make or do... you are enthusing them to choose and have fun.

Hope this helps :D

Spangles
31-08-2008, 08:37 AM
As Sarah says, don't just think about 'an activity', try to just blend it into every day.

I.e. books - just get your usual story books but that have pictures of people of different colour, abilities, etc.

I have a scrapbook which we stick pictures of people cut out of magazines in - in there we have people of all ages, colours, abilities, cultures, doing different things, etc.

Have welcome posters with people or languages on.

Have jigsaws with different people on.

Have musical instruments from different countries.

Play music from different countries in the background.

There are loads of things to subtly have going on around you that are multi-cultural but not actual activities if your children get bored or are hard to involve.

shelly04
31-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Thank you all for your help, good ideas there. :clapping: