PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessments for Eyfs

sarah707
30-08-2008, 06:41 PM
How often should I do risk assessments for Eyfs?

I know this question has been asked before and a good practice advice has been given, but the latest Ofsted guidance now tells us the answer...

'Childminders must undertake a risk assessment of the premises and equipment -

- at least once in each calendar year and

- immediately, where a need for an assessment arises'.

So I recommend you have a piece of paper in your risk assessment folder, ready for if anything happens that you want to risk assess extra to your normal risk assessments eg. you get up and find a fence panel has broken or there is a crop of mushrooms in the garden or a child breaks a toy or the stair gate goes a bit wobbly or an accident report throws up a potential danger ...

You make a note of time, date, risk, what you have done to protect the child in the short term and how you intend to solve the problem (with an intended completion date).

Hope this helps :D

Spangles
30-08-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a clipboard which has the signing in sheet, f/freezer temp log, visitor log, baby sleep record and 'out of the norm risk assessment' sheet.

This is for each day anything that's out of the ordinary - like the other day Darren left loads of army equipment in the back garden (typical!) so I put this on the sheet - put it was a danger and not to use garden until cleared. Then I put the date it was cleared and it was safe - next day.

My inspector was really impressed with this.

ajs
30-08-2008, 07:00 PM
thanks for this too sarah r a's are my current hatred although i did write a few while i was away
using your risk assessment ebook as a starting guidline thanks xx

donnahay0
30-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I do a full risk assessment every 3 months (diarized) - it really doesn't take very long. As part of getting my afterschooler involved and to help teach him safety I intend to get him to help me do the next risk assessment by asking him to point out anything he finds that might be a risk to anybody in the house, especially for toddlers.

I have a daily risk assessment sheet (laminated) with a space on it for writing any risks that crop up during that day - this gets transferred to a risk assessment log but stas on the laminated sheet until it has been seen to.

Mollymop
30-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks Sarah! X

sarah707
30-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Getting older children involved in risk assessments is a great idea Donna!

I find my lot pick up on things I would possibly miss :D

Saz
31-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for this Sarah, great advice. Just need to actually do a risk assessment now to start myself off.

Rubybubbles
31-08-2008, 09:16 PM
thanks sarah, I have your risk assessment ebook:thumbsup:

I laughed tbh at the once and year risk assessment! They need to be done daily, don't get me wrong I do 6 monthly ones for example on outings, such as school run, park ect ect

how boring:laughing: