PDA

View Full Version : Petrol receipts

Mrs M
28-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi, I use my car a fair bit during the week as I do collections. Therefore, should I be keeping my petrol receipts for my accounts? I have most of them but not all of them so have included bank statements and circled the petrol station outgoings. Do you think that's ok?

sarah707
28-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes that's fine... so long as you can prove you've spent the money :D

Wiggly
28-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I may be wrong but I thought you put through your expenses so much per mile - think it is 40p. Keep a log of mileage.

Ive never saved any petrol receipts. Ummm, be interested to see answers on this one.

Wiggly
x

Mrs M
28-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Yes it's 40p per mile but I think you still need to prove that you really are filling your car up regularly and that you're not making up the amount of mileage you do.

miffy
28-08-2008, 03:24 PM
More fiddly bits of paper flying around :rolleyes:

Sorry don't know the answer - just thought I'd moan :laughing:

Miffy xx

Wiggly
28-08-2008, 03:38 PM
More fiddly bits of paper flying around :rolleyes:

Sorry don't know the answer - just thought I'd moan :laughing:

Miffy xx

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

christine e
28-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes it's 40p per mile but I think you still need to prove that you really are filling your car up regularly and that you're not making up the amount of mileage you do.

Your MOT certificate records the amount of miles you do each year so that is evidence (make sure you don't put down more miles than you actually do) if you sold your car during the year you could declare this on the log book when submitting to DVLC but I keep my cars years so not a problem to me

Cx

Chatterbox Childcare
28-08-2008, 03:53 PM
You have 2 options:

1. .40p per mile and this covers all expenses including petrol (no receipts required) but you must have a mileage log to prove where you have been

2. Depreciation where you claim for all expenses relating to the car and you need to keep receipts and have a mileage log to prove where you have been

Mrs M
28-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Thank you for the advice. I have a mileage log plus I'll keep on collecting the receipts.

cloud9
28-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Even if you claim the 40p a mile (i do it seems easier) you still have to keep all your petrol receipts to prove you are filing up.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Even if you claim the 40p a mile (i do it seems easier) you still have to keep all your petrol receipts to prove you are filing up.

Conflicting reports from the tax office I think - I will investigate and put on a separate thread

If we need to keep receipts for petrol we must also need to keep them for services, mot etc,,,,

sarah707
28-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I think it's all clear on Pauline's tax office link here -

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM47701.htm

Saz
29-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Hi, I've just been looking on the link kindly provided by Sarah and I can't see exactly what I need to record.

Should I create a mileage log sheet to record all business mileage? I was thinking that I need to record date, mileage, journey (eg. home - early years centre) and purpose of journey. Is there anything else I need to include? Should I create a new log each month?

I am still waiting for my NCMA purple box so is there anything in there for this purpose?

Daft question now but once I have a mileage log where do I actually write my mileage into my accounts?

Thank you for all your advice!