PDA

View Full Version : Food programme on Chan 4

buildingblocks
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
About ready meals looks interesting as possibly something about healthy ready meals and how unhealthy they are. thought I would post in case someone was interested

sarah707
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes we've got it on in the background... interesting!

buildingblocks
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Its quite scary when you think about it. I knew about the 'diet' stuff often being worse than 'normal' stuff when a friend told me about the WW rice pudding and the Sainsbury one being less in something - not sure if fat or sugar

Tily Bud
10-01-2008, 09:24 PM
mmmm might switch over and watch it - anything to do with food is interesting at the moment lol lol lol lol .................

Minnie Minx
10-01-2008, 09:28 PM
hahahaha cheryl what are you like lol, i can't watch it but it does sound really interesting, i know that some of the dyes in convienience food are not very nice, wasn't there one last year that got in and it was industrial strength dye and not for human consumption?

xx

buildingblocks
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
THe worrying thing is when you try and do your best health wise e.g. they have just said more salt in All bran than ready salted crisps. Madness. I do try and read labels on food but now it seems you can't even trust those.

The thing is I do try to eat fresh where possible but once watched a programme on food where it showed the label on soe pork chops. I had never read labels on 'fresh' meat in supermarkets after all it is just meat. But they add water, etc even to fresh meat.

It makes you wonder why we bother to eat healthily at all lol.

manjay
10-01-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't "do" ready meals but the thing I found most disturbing was the leeway manufacturers are allowed when stating the fat/sugar content of products. Depending on the fat content in a product they are allowed up to a 20% allowance either way so even if you do read the labels they are not accurate.

Liked the idea of a couple of chickens in the garden for fresh free range eggs but not sure hubby would go with that idea!

amanda xx

Minnie Minx
10-01-2008, 11:47 PM
i've wanted chickens for ages amanda, to get rid of my slug problem but i don't think the neighbours would approve :)

xx

manjay
10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
i've wanted chickens for ages amanda, to get rid of my slug problem but i don't think the neighbours would approve :)

xx

It sounds good in theory but I couldn't even bring myself to pick up our hamster so I don't think I could look after chickens

amanda xx

Minnie Minx
10-01-2008, 11:56 PM
oh there's nothing better then looking after chickens, when i was little i had a hen called Hettie and a duck called donald, he was a black and white one like daffy duck. Unfortunatly donald was killed rather horribly by our rescue collie, I still remember collecting newly laid eggs that were still covered in goo and warm. We had a huge chicken range thing, i'll dig out some photo' and scan them, oh they were they days. The only thing i couldn't do was dig for worms for them, i left that to my mum :)

xx

buildingblocks
11-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Liked the idea of a couple of chickens in the garden for fresh free range eggs but not sure hubby would go with that idea!amanda xx

That is what I want but hubby said no and its not often he puts his foot down. Seems to think the deeds of the propeerty said no chickens - I know the old house's did. Mind you I think it is more to do with the fact that ge knows he would have to deal with them as I don't do animals lol

manjay
11-01-2008, 02:29 PM
That is what I want but hubby said no and its not often he puts his foot down. Seems to think the deeds of the propeerty said no chickens - I know the old house's did. Mind you I think it is more to do with the fact that ge knows he would have to deal with them as I don't do animals lol

I am so glad I have found someone else who doesn't do animals. My friends think it's really weird how i can't even touch one. I have a complete phobia about dogs as I was attacked when I was little (not badly but enough to scare me) but I also think I have OCD about germs. It's like I don't see an animal just a whole heap of germs!! Sorry if I have offended all you animal lovers!! No offence intended.

amanda xx

littlestar
11-01-2008, 03:00 PM
did anyone catch a glimps at the program that was on last nite kill it eat it the title put me off i couldnt believe it they showed some baby lambs only 6weeks old and they informed us they would be slaughtered at the end of the program and someone would eat them i couldnt bare it and switched it off:angry: