PDA

View Full Version : Toughened glass

littlegems
26-08-2008, 10:09 AM
hi
i am just starting childminding and was told at my icp course that my glass windows and doors need to be toughened glass, or i need to put safety film on it. i have two sets of patio like doors, do i have to safety film the whole height of them? or just to a certain level? do they need to be done inside and out?
is there a place that tells me this that i have missed as i cant find it!
thanks xx

katickles
26-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I would say that the whole height as if something was thrown at the door at the top it could still shatter it. And yes both sides.

I got mine from B&Q

Nicki L
26-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Do your patio doors have the touchened glass symbol in top corner? Most patio doors have them these days. If they do then you dont need to do them, if not then it is advisable to do the whole door in the safety film

hth

sue m
26-08-2008, 01:24 PM
My patio doors have the kitemark thingy on them but I have a wall unit/bookcase thing and I've had that screwed to the wall at the top so it doesn't fall over when children pull themselves up on it and I've used that stuff like cling film for the glass doors on it. Horrible stuff!!! :D

mummyroysof3
26-08-2008, 05:04 PM
hi, i asked about this at my pre reg inspection my back door has a full length glass panel but is double glazed so is ok but the singlt pane glass doors i have in lounge and kitchen need it on. They have 15 panels but she said only to cover the bottom 9

charlotte x

angeldelight
26-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Mothercare also sell this

Angel xx

littlegems
26-08-2008, 07:52 PM
i have been looking in to this and to cover one of my patio doors inside and out is £46 then the other one the same so £98 then one of my back windows another £30, so £130 ish, seriously i do not have that money, anyone any ideas ???
have looked on ebay.
feeling very flat now and defeated.
xx

Chatterbox Childcare
26-08-2008, 07:54 PM
How old are your doors? It has been some 10 years plus I believe since the toughened glass was brought in.

If you are unsure, contact the suppliers and ask and then get it in writing to show the inspector. I cannot see patio doors being normal glass.

Debbie

littlegems
26-08-2008, 07:59 PM
good plan, however we've only just moved in this last xmas and have no idea who / where they came from!
aaahhhhh!

sue m
26-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I would imagine as Debbie says that patio doors will be double glazed. That should be ok.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-08-2008, 08:09 PM
As the cost is high I would wait for the pre inspection and see what Ofsted say. I would have thought that a sticker on the door to stop them running in would be sufficient.

You could always ask a company to come out a give you a replacement quote and gently ask if it is already toughened - cheeky but worthwhile!

Debbie

littlegems
26-08-2008, 08:27 PM
they are definately double glazed but obviously older so no kite mark, we have a glazier up the road so i'll give them a ring in the morning.
thanks for you help
xx

mummyroysof3
27-08-2008, 06:45 AM
there is someone selling this for £4.99 for 61cm x 1m roll at the moment, ive just emailed to ask them if its suitable to use on my small panels

hope that helps someone
charlotte x

littlegems
27-08-2008, 08:54 AM
i had a man come around this morning from the glazier he said it wasnt toguhened typical!
he worked out a quote for all windows i need done - £710!!! :panic:
i think not so looks like its down the safety film route still expensive but not as expensive.
xx

Ripeberry
27-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Ahh great! I'm going to be using an ALL GLASS conservatory for childminding.
It has been standing for almost 30yrs and is single glazed with toughened glass (still have the original docs), but i am going to be putting safety film on the bottom windows but do we SERIOUSLY need to do the outside as well?
The whole point of the film is that it is sticky and will hold the glass in place.
It's going to be a nightmare applying it the the outside! And it will cost a fortune as one piece of glass on the side is 10 feet tall!:panic:

littlegems
27-08-2008, 10:01 AM
exactly!
it will cost a fortune! as i am finding out.
yes it definately needs to be inside and out, thats what i have been told anyway.
but if yours is toughened glass and you can prove it you'll be ok.
xx

Ripeberry
28-08-2008, 09:55 AM
The paperwork for the extension says it's toughened glass but it does not have any kitemarks or BSE numbers.
It has had some hard knocks in the past, my darling daughter threw a stone at it and it did not crack or anything.
It will be a shame not to be able to use that space as it is very large and runs the whole lenght of the house.

littlegems
28-08-2008, 11:35 AM
i think you'll be ok with a letter proving it is, i talked to dev worker who said if i could prove it via a letter from glazier / installer but i can not! why don't you just phone local childminding team they should know as you dont want to pay for loads of safety film if you dont have to not likes its cheap £5 job!
xx

littlegems
28-08-2008, 08:48 PM
well i have just ordered all my safety film - £61 :panic:
lets just hope its not a total nightmare to fit, think i will leave that til kids are in bed i dont think helping hands will help much on this ocassion!