PDA

View Full Version : 2 childminders working together

curly_whirly
24-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi,

I am thinking about becoming a childminder. I have worked as a Deputy Room Leader for a year and feel that childminding would be better suited to me. I have read that 2 childminders can work together so does this mean that the amount of children you can care for is increased and if so to how many?

Thanks!

Pauline
24-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi

If you are both fully registered then you can care for the amount of children you are each registered for.

If you have no conditions set at the time of registration either due to the ages of your own children, or size of home to be used, then you would EACH be able to care for up to 6 children aged under 8, 3 of these could be under 5, and 1 under one.

What you are allowed is always dependant on what Ofsted say at the time of registration and the above is only for guidance.

Hope that helps :)

cloud9
24-08-2008, 10:04 AM
When my hubby registered with me but as a childminder in his own right i was advised all along that Having 2 people registered does not immediately double your numbers in this way it completely depends on the size of your house, and also the experience of the people asking for the request. After all you aren't go to increase your numbers to allow 12 children if you have a regular sized 2 bed house they would never fit!

Chatterbox Childcare
24-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi

You can have registered assistants working with you and have increased numbers but the numbers are at the descretion of Ofsted.

However, as of 1st September if you work with 2 or more at the same time your are no longer seen as a Childminder and have to register on a different register and I think that we encompass a lot of extra work and probably cost; planning permission etc...

Best thing to do is call the Ofsted helpline and they will advise. 0845 404040

Debbie

Pauline
24-08-2008, 12:39 PM
However, as of 1st September if you work with 2 or more at the same time your are no longer seen as a Childminder and have to register on a different register and I think that we encompass a lot of extra work and probably cost; planning permission etc...

Best thing to do is call the Ofsted helpline and they will advise. 0845 404040

Debbie

In the past it was 3 or more - must have bought it down! - that will cause a lot of problems for some minders I know already working with 2 assistants! :eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
24-08-2008, 08:52 PM
In the past it was 3 or more - must have bought it down! - that will cause a lot of problems for some minders I know already working with 2 assistants! :eek:

I had a letter on Friday stating that if I worked with 2 or more (i.e. 3 of us) then we would be domestic...... but it all had to be at the same time. Luckily mine are at different times

Debbie

Pauline
25-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I had a letter on Friday stating that if I worked with 2 or more (i.e. 3 of us) then we would be domestic...... but it all had to be at the same time. Luckily mine are at different times

Debbie

So 3 of you working together is domestic not business? You've got me confused now!

Chatterbox Childcare
25-08-2008, 12:47 PM
So 3 of you working together is domestic not business? You've got me confused now!

Sorry it is working as a business on domestic premises and this is different to childminding.

Debbie

Chatterbox Childcare
26-08-2008, 08:46 PM

Just got this from the evaluation document 080124 which inspectors use for guidance:

Childminder
A person who is registered to look after one or more children, to whom they are not related, under the age of eight on domestic premises for reward and for a total of more than two hours in any day.

Childminders: care for children on domestic premises that are not the home of one of the children or care for children from more than two families wholly or mainly in the home of one of the children and

work with no more than two other childminders or assistants.

Debbie

lottie271100
13-02-2011, 05:19 PM
i ahve having a major problem at the moment we are 2 reg childminders who now want to work out of the same home (mine) we have LOADS OF SPACE and ofsted really happy and allowed us max numbers .... BUT OUR COUNCIL HAVE ASKED FOR FULL PLANNINIG PERMISSION from us....
£170 to apply
£300 for full house plans to be drawn up
and he even said maybe employ someone to help fill out the forms due to them being "quite tricky!!!"
ohhh and to top it there are aparently NO GUILDLINES,....A DN EVERYTHING IS OPEN TO INTERPITATION AND DOWN TO WHICH PLANNING OFFICER COMES OUT !!!!:mad: :panic:

work that one out ..... we are hacked right off ....

sarah707
13-02-2011, 07:49 PM
i ahve having a major problem at the moment we are 2 reg childminders who now want to work out of the same home (mine) we have LOADS OF SPACE and ofsted really happy and allowed us max numbers .... BUT OUR COUNCIL HAVE ASKED FOR FULL PLANNINIG PERMISSION from us....
£170 to apply
£300 for full house plans to be drawn up
and he even said maybe employ someone to help fill out the forms due to them being "quite tricky!!!"
ohhh and to top it there are aparently NO GUILDLINES,....A DN EVERYTHING IS OPEN TO INTERPITATION AND DOWN TO WHICH PLANNING OFFICER COMES OUT !!!!:mad: :panic:

work that one out ..... we are hacked right off ....

I am afraid that is quite common when you get involved in planning applications for extending minding.

They might spend time writing to your neighbours as well to see if they object to your business expanding.

The price you have been charged is about average too.

Good luck with it all :D