PDA

View Full Version : Confused... Every child matters/EYFS

balloon
24-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Hi

I thought I had got this sussed. Thought I understood it. Deliberately didn't learn the B23 stuff cos I knew I would be operating under EYFS. Should be easy shouldn't it?

And it was until the very helpful post about keeping policies in line with Every Child Matters. I downloaded the booklet and printed it out to make things easier but now I am really confused. Does ECM work alongside EYFS or does EYFS replace it? I can see that in the booklet that lots of things are in the EYFS P to P cards but that means some of the P to P cards are left out - does that mean I do not have to write Policies and procedures on them? Also I read somewhere that CMs do not have to write policies so why are we all doing them?

Should I just be trying to work all this out from the foundation booklet that they sent me, and is the fact that I am so flipping confused now an indication that I will not be able to cope if and when I do get children and have to do all the other paperwork? Am I just being a lazy so and so coming to you for help and not trying to work it out myself? (that's a rhetorical question, lol!).

I guess I'm petrified of leaving something vital out, so will some kind person out there please take pity on me and tell me if I am supposed to organising my pol's and pro's in line with ECM or EYFS or both?

miffy
24-08-2008, 07:51 AM
EYFS does not replace ECM - it's aim is to help young children achieve the 5 ECM outcomes - staying safe, being healthy, enjoying and achieving, making a positive contribution and achieving economic well-being.

EYFS replaces Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage, the B23 Matters framework and the National Standards for Under 8's Daycare and Childminding but elements of all of these are found within EYFS.

Childminders do not have to have written policies under EYFS BUT will be required to explain their procedures for example, on safeguarding children so it's best to have them written down but it isn't a legal requirement

HTH

Miffy xx

Pauline
24-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Miffy I think your explanation should be kept for posterity, printed, faxed, copied, shared and sent to everyone. (Especially Ofsted :))

It explains things in a nutshell, brilliant :thumbsup:

I need to update the website to bring it in line with EYFS is it ok to use your wording? :)

Nicki L
24-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Miffy I think your explanation should be kept for posterity, printed, faxed, copied, shared and sent to everyone. (Especially Ofsted :))

I need to update the website to bring it in line with EYFS is it ok to use your wording? :)

Pauline, very true - although you missed out LAMINATED!!!!!:laughing:

Nicki L
24-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Miffy

Thank you - that made perfect sense:clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
24-08-2008, 10:16 AM
EYFS does not replace ECM - it's aim is to help young children achieve the 5 ECM outcomes - staying safe, being healthy, enjoying and achieving, making a positive contribution and achieving economic well-being.

EYFS replaces Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage, the B23 Matters framework and the National Standards for Under 8's Daycare and Childminding but elements of all of these are found within EYFS.

Childminders do not have to have written policies under EYFS BUT will be required to explain their procedures for example, on safeguarding children so it's best to have them written down but it isn't a legal requirement

HTH

Miffy xx

Well said - sums is all up

Debbie

balloon
24-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks Miffy

Now I understand and cannot believe I was being so dumb! :blush:

miffy
24-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Oh thank you Pauline - of course you can use it :)

Miffy xx

themrs
09-06-2011, 10:21 PM

HTH

Miffy xx

I noticed this was posted back in 2008, does this still apply?

I understand that the 5 outcomes from ECM are:
- staying safe
- being healthy
- enjoying and achieving
- making a positive contribution
- achieving economic well-being

but the four themes of the EYFS are:

- a unique child
- positive relationships
- enabling environments
- learning and development

As you can see the ECM outcomes and the EYFS themes overlap? So if i want to file my policies do i file them according to EYFS or ECM? Also when i talk to the Ofsted inspector do i say my setting is based around ensuring i cover the EYFS themes are the ECM outcomes...

Am i making sense?