PDA

View Full Version : NVQ Level 3 by 2010? Free training?

kellyg
21-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I had an email with regards to the government requiring all childcare providers to be at NVQ level 3 by 2010.

Now, I was not actually going to do an NVQ but seeing as I will have to, I have asked the lady to come round as the course is now free.

What I wanted to ask is, has anyone heard about this becoming compulsary and also wanted to let you know the training is now free (rather than the £600 odd) so you may well want to contact me as I could put you in touch with the people who emailed me - maybe everyone got an email???

Sorry if I am making little sense :panic:

mimo
21-08-2008, 01:25 PM
No i havent heard anything about this .How are they going to get us all through it by 2010 its only 16 months away ??

Mollymop
21-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes I was told this on my icp course last year. I was told that we should get funding for this, but not sure if it would be the full amount that the course costs.
We was told it was the DHC (diploma) which is not an NVQ but is still a level 3 qualification.
I have sent off my grant from to complete the DHC - they pay £185 per unit around here, the units cost £205, so not too much to fork out of my own pocket.

kellyg
21-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I did my ICP at the end of last year and was not told about it?

When I spoke to the lady today she said that the gov have changed it to no fee, she siad well quite frankly they have to if they want everyone to be at that level by 2010.

The lady I spoke to was from a company in Coventry/Rugby who offer childcare training, they will come to me to do the assesments etc so means I dont have to go out to do the training but it may be worth contacting your Early Years Team to discuss, seeing as it is now free - as if we haven't got enough to flipping do :angry: :mad: :(

sarah707
21-08-2008, 02:10 PM
The bit about this in the original eyfs documentation has been removed... it clearly states 'other than childminders'.

Do not be panicked into doing a course if you don't want to do it!! :D

Legal requirements - page 31 of the May edition of eyfs -

Childminders must have attended a training course within six months of registration and must hold a current paediatric first aid certificate at the point of registration. First aid training must be approved by the local authority and consistent with the guidance set out in the Practice Guidance
for the Early Years Foundation Stage.

In registered settings other than childminding settings, all supervisors and managers must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by the Children’s Workforce Development Council (CWDC)) and half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification (as defined by CWDC).

mimo
21-08-2008, 02:22 PM
thank you sarah i will stop writting out my notice to my parents now .Just havent got the time to do my nvq3 .If i had had to do it that would have been the end of my childminding days

PaulaR
21-08-2008, 03:10 PM
i decided about a month ago to do my NVQ3. I made a few phone calls to teh college, filled out a few forms, rang the number the college suggested for funding, filled outthe funding form and I am all enrolled now for September. All the fee is paid and it was very easy to set up

LisaH
21-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I really want to do the NVQ3 too but can't get to college on the night the course is run.:(

Have tried to find a college that offer it via distance learning but no joy. Will have to call CIS and see if they can help, and funding would be nice too!! Lol

kellyg
21-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Not really sure I will have the time (or patience) to do it but seeing as it is free I feel I may be foolish to turn down the free, from home, training - I dont intend on being a chikdminder forever but ould always like to stay working with kids, therfore I think it will only help me for the future.

Deffo worth contacting your early Years team or such like in order to see if you can get training from home like me ;)

Chatterbox Childcare
22-08-2008, 05:20 AM
This has been banded about for some years now and I think that a time will come when a level 3 qualification will be the minimum.

However, I haven't heard that it has to be a NVQ level 3. There is also a home based diploma in childcare that is CACHE certificated and is a level 3.

Of course, there is the foundation stage next...

Will it ever end.

Debbie