PDA

View Full Version : E123 and E124...together

Nix
21-08-2008, 01:09 PM
:eek:

Hello again girls.

The OU have written advising that because the course is changing I should do E123 and E124 together this year. Has anyone else done them at the same time and how was it?

I'd felt that with full time minding and studying one course that would be enough. How likely am I to be able to manage both??

Any help, ideas and suggestions welcome...

Thanks
Nix,x

Kelly
21-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi there

I did both together as I was advised it was OK to do so by the OU. My E124 tutor said that he felt you should not do both together, but I continued anyway.

I found it hard going, but it was do-able. As a guide I found I needed about 6hours a week for each course, more when TMA's were due in, which I found took up most of my weekends as I was too busy (and tired) to do it during the week.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Kelly

CCJD
21-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi, I have just completed the E123 on it's own ,although I know that alot of the women on my course did both. I think it depends on how much you are prepared for it to take over your life. Doing one kept things fairly sane - there is a fair amount of work to do and bearing in mind I work mon-fri 7.30am-6pm and have two children and a household of my own - I think I would have found doing both a struggle.
Also when a piece of work was due in (only four pieces in total but each very involved) I found that I would write a first draft and the darn peice of work would completely occupy my mind until I had it rewritten several times, gettting the word count down and getting it right. I cant imagine how I could have given each TMA the right amount of time and application if I were juggling two.
As I said, plenty of women in my group did both (dont know how they got on though) but my friend and myself both agreed doing two would have been a mistake for us.

mrsbumbles
21-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I am starting the E123 in oct and had the same letter today, Lou lou is also doing it in oct and she gave the ou a call today and they told us that the E124 will still be available for those who have started the E123 to do the E124 oct 2009.
But they didnt really seem to know what they were talking about:panic:

Loulou was left on hold for 5 mins and passed to three different people before we got any sort of answer :rolleyes:

Nix
22-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Mmmm I wish they had told me when I registered.

What are you two planning to do?

Nix,x

Tatia
22-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Don't panic. Honestly, as long as you keep up with the reading of the study chapters and make good notes in the margins (so you can find quotable material for the TMAs) then you'll be fine. I haven't found it all that difficult, truthfully. I spend one week concentrating solely on E123 however far that takes me and then I spend the following week on E124 and get as far as I can. So long as you don't fall behind, you should be okay.

And here's a naughty tip that I shouldn't pass on.;) But don't worry overly much about each activity they want you to do within the study chapters. Nobody is ever going to look at them. Just read and re-read the criteria for the TMA you're working towards and keep that in mind as you read.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck!

I'm actually contemplating overlapping two 600 point courses!!:panic: E115 starts in October and then the next one begins on January so for a few months, I'll be crazy busy. :eek:

Nix
22-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Just spoke to the OU and said I would do them both and then they said...I don't have to I can do E124 next year.:angry: Apparently the letter isn't very clear!! :rolleyes:

Now I'm still undecided...

Nix,x

Tatia
22-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I just want to get it over with which is why I'm doing them both plus I've studied full-time at Uni level. However, if you have any doubt whatsoever and now that you have the option, then you might be better off just doing E123 so you can ease back into study.

You're gonna arrive at the same destination. Just might take that little bit longer.:)

Nix
22-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah I studied with the OU before and did two courses but I had one day off a week to 'study'! It was manageable but I work a long five day week now which was my reason for doing them one at a time...perhaps that is still my best option. Like you say Tatia, I'll still gonna end up in the same place.

Thanks.
NIx,x

Teresa
22-08-2008, 02:14 PM
i have signed up to do both i am now hoping i have not bit off more then i can chew, its been 8 years since i studied.:panic: :blush: