PDA

View Full Version : sef ratings

mimo
21-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Does anyone have the same problem as me when it comes to filling in your grade on the sef form, I never know what to put dont want to put outstanding as they might find somthing i could do better and dont want to look like a big head. Dont want to put good as i am so much better than that:D and if i put good they might only give me that as that is all ive put. i have never been good at selling myself and this bit is driving me mad

sue m
21-08-2008, 09:24 AM
ME Jackie! It's really hard for some of us to say we are outstanding, specially those of us who are really nervous and think an inspector might not think we are anywhere near outstanding. I sat all yesterday afternoon and last night till about 11pm wondering abut it. :D

sarahb
21-08-2008, 09:29 AM
i no im having same problem with this bladey form,trying to do it online now but its making me look REALY THICK!! i run my mother inlaws nursery and i just no shes going to be on my back if i get it wrong!!anyway please if u can help me with any advice on how to make my inpection run smoothly,i dont no why but it makes my heart beat fast and gets me all nervie when it comes to the inpection!! i think iv got everything coverd but i dont want to miss anything!is there anything you can point out to me that thay will ask or look for!thanks sarah!x

miffy
21-08-2008, 09:36 AM
But mimo you've already been judged outstanding so why would you want to put anything less on your sef form?

Can't have Ofsted thinking you don't believe in yourself :)

Miffy xx

mimo
21-08-2008, 09:50 AM
but Miffy its ok for someone else to tell me i am outstanding but i feel like i am blowing my own trumpet if i give myself outsanding :blush: and then if i do what do i put in the how can i improve bit .Surely if i can put somthing in there i am not outstanding but if i rate myself as good ofsted might not rate me higher . Or do i put good and in 6 months time put putstanding so i look like ive improved ??????:panic: :panic: :panic: oh its all to confusing what to do what to do.

sue m
21-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I know, I'm with you on this. I didn't realize you had already got an outstanding Jackie! I hadn't looked.lol I lack confidence, if I put outstanding I think the inspector will think, she's rubbish but then I know I'm not. I just get so terribly confused with the paperwork cos we didn't have it when I was working many years ago. I keep thinking I've done too much of the same stuff and not enough of what ofsted want. I've done the daily diaries, a scrap book for when they leave to take with them and a very similar sort of thing for ofsted to see. then I panic cos I haven't lined it properly, I've put KUW when it should be something else. I've never had any confidence in myself and always been shy when it comes to 'selling myself'.

sarah707
21-08-2008, 10:14 AM
If you can prove you are good, then put good... if you believe you are better than good, put outstanding.

Have a read through some reports on the ofsted website and ask yourself if you are better than them!

Pauline
23-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I know just what you mean. It is so difficult to sell yourself.

When I had my inspection I didn't tick the grading boxes until about half an hour before she was due to arrive! I was having this big argument with myself about whether to put good or outstanding.

I kept reading my own notes on why I believed I was outstanding and how and why I had come to that conclusion, but still found it hard to tick the boxes.

In the end I thought well, if I don't think I'm outstanding then she won't either so ticked the boxes!!

The rest is history. So make sure you believe in yourself is my advice! :)

miffy
23-08-2008, 04:50 PM
but Miffy its ok for someone else to tell me i am outstanding but i feel like i am blowing my own trumpet if i give myself outsanding :blush: and then if i do what do i put in the how can i improve bit .Surely if i can put somthing in there i am not outstanding but if i rate myself as good ofsted might not rate me higher . Or do i put good and in 6 months time put putstanding so i look like ive improved ??????:panic: :panic: :panic: oh its all to confusing what to do what to do.

Ofsted HAVE told you you're outstanding so you are just going to fill in your sef to remind them why they told you that :D :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Spangles
23-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I would put outstanding if I was you because you got it last time so you must be.

I ticked all goods on mine and the inspector last week said she thought I was better than that so gave me 3 outstandings and 2 goods so whatever you put I don't think they'd stick to it if you've undersold or oversold yourself if you know what I mean.

Bushpig
27-08-2008, 09:08 AM
It's normal and usual to under-appreciate what we accomplish. On the one hand we try to be assertive and confident, and on the other hand, humble and not big headed.

It comes down to us being honest with ourselves about our service, our attitude... how we speak into our minded childrens' lives.

A huge part of my relief post inspection was not just that it was OVER :eek: but that a third party, and a third party in-the-know (inspector!) valued and appreciated what I do with the children in my home. That meant the world to me, as I had also underestimated my worth. I know the parents are happy and the kids are happy, and this, for me, was the final seal of approval.

So I won't hold back on the SEF form, if I think I am outstanding, I will mark it so! :blush: :clapping: