PDA

View Full Version : I am sooo mad!!!

tomthumb
18-08-2008, 06:11 PM
My dream parent has just turned horrible!
Some of you might remember a couple of weeks ago, my baby caught conjunctivitis and mindee's mum decided not to bring her as she was getting married a few days later. Anyway, I was away for a week and today was my first day back. I gave her the invoice and she texted me when she got home saying she did not understand why she was charged. I replied that she was charged as I was able to have lo but she decided against it. She then texted me that she was not happy to pay when her lo could not attend as my daughter was contagious. If it was the case, she was just going to give me notice tomorrow morning.:eek:
I was so shocked that I tried to call her to discuss it but she did not pick up. I sent her a text telling her that I felt really hurt and that she was overreacting. I just knew it was going to happen. People are always lovely until something they don't like happen and they turn nasty. :angry:
She has just texted me to say we can discuss it tomorrow face to face and she didn't mean to be hurtful. Well, if at the first disagreement she threatens me like that without even trying to discuss it shows doesn't it???

Sorry a bit long but feeling maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddd!!

Elodie XX

LOOPYLISA
18-08-2008, 06:13 PM
:angry: :angry: This is the part of the job im NOT looking forward to, good luck for tomorrow ! x:thumbsup:

Nicki L
18-08-2008, 06:22 PM
What is in your contract - all mine state that if i can not mind their children because of me or my children then i will not charge them. If she agreed to a charge on her contract then there is not a thing she can say, she must have read it!!!

Good luck for tomorrow, i hope she has calmed down xx

Nicki L
18-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Sorry - just re-read your post, i read it wrong the first time!. She deceided not to send her then too right she should be charged.
xx

Mollymop
18-08-2008, 06:31 PM
It must be shocking for this to happen, you get on well with the parent and they are a dream and then when they don't get their own way they turn on you all for the sake of a days pay?
MAke her understand when she comes tomororw that it was her decision and you were open to her for business.
I hope she calms down and realises that she is in the wrong and it is not worth falling out with you about.
But now, i suppose you feel that your professional relationship with her has been tainted, which is such a shame.
I have one pain in the butt parent and one lovely one, i don't know what I would do if my lovely one turned nasty! I feel for you.
I hope you get it sorted with her
Good luck

flora
18-08-2008, 06:31 PM
This is always the most difficult part of the job.

If I was in this postion I would probably charge her half fee for that session. As she had the wedding so close to your lo getting it the chances are her lo would have too. So you can see why she decided to keep her away.

At the end of the day, it's your business and so therefore your rules :thumbsup:

Does seem like she overreacted, hopefully you can sort it face to face :thumbsup:

Good luck, let us know how you go.xx

miffy
18-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't have charged for this - I would have closed because conjunctivitis is so contagious - I would not expect to have to look after a mindee with it and if my own children had it I would not work and so would not charge.

I suppose it depends on what is written in your contract and although I have some sympathy for this parent I don't like the way she has reacted.

Hope by the morning you have all calmed down and can sort it amicably

Good luck

Miffy xx

Bushpig
18-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Goodness, well this isn't right. She's trying to pull a fast one. She should pay you if you have it in your contract she pays for days when off sick. Please let us know how you resolve this.

childminder54
18-08-2008, 10:24 PM
sorry i agree with mom if your child had conjunctiveitus you should have not had the children as they could catch it of your child.or have i got it wrong.

veronicaxx

sarah707
19-08-2008, 06:51 AM
I suppose by charging full fee on the invoice you've left yourself in a good negotiating position if you want to go down to half to keep her happy.

Good luck with the meeting!

singlewiththree
19-08-2008, 06:58 AM
My personal take on it is that babies tend to get conjunctivis, all 3 of mine have and as long as your baby isnt near their child then their child shouldnt get it providing appropriate hygiene is in place. My other children never caught it when their sister had it.

As a good will gesture if it was me I would probably go for half fee but state the contract to her, afterall its bullying and if she is going to do that at every eventuality life will be difficult.

wishing you lots of luck
Paula

charleyfarley
19-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Just want to say good luck with your meeting :thumbsup:

Carol xx

angeldelight
19-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Sorry I read this wrong the first time around

I would not have charged her either

Good luck hope you sort it out

Angel xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
19-08-2008, 07:05 AM
This is so hard.

When you speak to her ask her if the child would still of come to you if she wasn't getting married! This will make her think.

On the other hand was your child still contagious and if so, I would have closed and wouldn't charge.

Hard one but I am sure once you talk it will be sorted but set some ground rules for the future to stop it happening again.

Maybe don't send an invoice and then go on holiday as she has had a week to mull it over and that it probably why she is overreacting.

Good luck and I am sure you can sort it out amicably.

Debbie

chels55
19-08-2008, 07:14 AM
just wanted to wish you luck, i hope you can sort thing out

tomthumb
19-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. She texted me last night asking if lo could start earlier and finish earlier as she had something to do. I said, no problem and we can discuss in morning.
Anyway, she came in this morning and I explained to her why she had to pay, reminding her that when her lo had conjunctivitis, I did look after her. I also told her it was in the contract. She didn't realise that she would have to pay if she doesn't bring her child, so she said that in that case, she will look for some other place! I said to her that whether she looks at nursery or childminder, she will have to pay if place is booked and she doesn't take her child. She wants to double check and get back to me tomorrow. She will pay fee though.
I can't believe that it turned so sour at the first hurdle! I know that I have had to take a lot of time off since I started as my dd was ill a lot and went into hospital but I have always been really fair and looked after her lo even if she is not well, or tried to have her more if she needed me to.
To be honest, I think she will hand me her notice, which is probably better as I don't like being treated like that. Next time, I will keep my distance with the parents!
By the way, I checked the infectious disease guidance thingy and it does state that children with conjunctivitis can attend setting as long as they are being treated. I also did 50% off on first day as good will gesture and I told her I was prepared to do 50% for the other 2 days as well but she refused. She also had the cheek to tell me that she wouldn't have brought her daughter to me even if she wasn't getting married, which is such a lie as the first thing she said to me was 'if I wasn't getting married in a few days, it would be no problem....'. Too bad, it will be her loss....
Thanks again for reading my rant!! Feeling better.

Elodie XX

FizzysFriends
19-08-2008, 11:56 AM
To be honest if I was the parent I wouldn't have paid either as conjunctivis is contagous (sp) and I wouldn't want to risk my child getting (shes had it loads from nursery and it was horrid).

caza
19-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Sorry things have got a bit difficult for you. Hope things sort themselves out in the end :)

sue32
19-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I do not take children who have conjunctivis as it is highly contages. My contract states that I can take upto 2 weeks paid sick leave for myself or my children and I make sure parents know. I also say that I dont do conjunctivis and D and V bug for their children for 48 hours,

devoncm
19-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I kind of agree about not coming due to infection but to say she is going to find somewhere else where she wont have to pay is rediculous surely she knows she has to pay for booked days if not turning up.
Tbh if she's like this now it would probably only get worse.
I am sorry she is looking elsewhere.

Straws
19-08-2008, 03:10 PM
I wouldnt charge if there was a infectious illness. Baby O came down with impetigo last week he was been treated for another skin infection turns out it was misdiagnosed and its impetigo, On sunday my son had a lesion in his head, phoned around the parents and told them he was contagious for 48 hours no charge.

Straws xx

BTW what would you all do if other children catch it?, would you still charge? I'd feel abit awkward charging as they would have caught it from my home

tomthumb
19-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Quick update, she has just decided to give me notice!
She sent me a text also blaming me for having to take time off (my baby was hospitalised) and making her life difficult....some parents!! I am just so shocked as to how quickly some parents can turn on you!!!
I am so much better off without her if that's the way she is!
She did seem to forget that I did take her child when she had conjunctivitis...
She has also asked me not to call her but to email or text her??? How childish is that?

Elodie XX

angeldelight
19-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear that Elodie

Seems she is taking things to the extreme a little

Hope you are ok

Angel xx

tomthumb
20-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks Angel. She has really overreacted. Normally people try to talk things through but she is refusing to talk. She has asked me to only contact her by mail so it is making things awkward. I opened the door today and didn't let her in as I normally do and same at pick up time. Wrote everything I needed to tell her in the diary. She looked really ill at ease! It is a shame because the lo is so cute and I really cared for her. My daughters also both really love her. Never mind, it is her loss!! :)

Elodie XX

cloud9
20-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I think you are better off without her and if i were in your situation if i could afford it i would give her notice first! If this is how she treats you you are better off out of it.
Although if it is my children with an infectious illness i would close and wouldn't expect the parents to pay. sorry

Tatia
21-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't have charged, either. But I'm sorry it's all gone pear shaped for you. Hope you get a new mindee soon.

Eli035
21-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum.

I have it in my policies that its not necessary to exclude because of conjunctivitis as long as its being treated.

I would have done the same as you and charged. My service would have been open and she chose not to send her wee one. My daughter has also had this and her brothers did not catch it.

You are well rid of her if she can behave so childish and not talk to you face to face.

It leaves a sour taste though, doesn't it.

I'm sure you will replace her with a much nicer parent:laughing:

Eli x