PDA

View Full Version : salt dough

Mrs.L.C
18-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi just wondered how every1 else makes their salt dough? I usualy make it like playdough in the saucepan but is there a quicker/easier way?

SimplyLucy
18-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Yes there is a lot quicker way :D

I use the following amazing recipe.

half cup of salt
1 cup of flour
1 tablespoon of cream of tartar
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 cup of boiling water (from the kettle)
a few drops of chosen food colouring added to the water.

Put all dry ingredients into a bowl, add oil and water and mix well. Kneed until fully mixed.

This recipe is so easy and it doesn't make your kitchen smell as much as the one you have to cook!

Mrs.L.C
18-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Brilliant thanks. just made it and the children helped and it was so easy. does this work just as well with playdough (same recipe really isnt it) but in regards to it lasting a long time?

SimplyLucy
18-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Brilliant thanks. just made it and the children helped and it was so easy. does this work just as well with playdough (same recipe really isnt it) but in regards to it lasting a long time?

Oh yes, I've got some in the fridge that was made at the end of the school summer term. It's still good. Just remember to wrap it up in clingfilm or a food bag.

mum2two
18-08-2008, 12:23 PM
We've done this this morning too.

I did:
300g Salt
300g Sugar
200ml water (room temp)

Mix salt & flour, then add water, and knead.

6 kids have made bits & bobs this morning. I'll cook this afternoon, and maybe paint later - or save to paint for another day!

Kelly x

sarah707
18-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Every time I make salt dough it goes wrong...

I will try one of your recipes! Thank you :D

Angela234
18-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Why does mine sometimes get very sticky the clast lot i had to throw away as soon as i made it.
Plan on trying again tomorrow

Angela

Monkey1
18-08-2008, 05:25 PM
I used to make salt dough pieces to sell at craft fairs. I used equal ammounts of plain flour and salt. Tepid water (enough to bind) a tiny dribble of oil. Try adding cloves for eyes in models. Smells lovely!

Mrs.L.C
18-08-2008, 06:59 PM
All went well with the salt dough but when I baked them they rose....even though it was plain flour and the bottom was still a bit soggy