PDA

View Full Version : mindees holidays

ziggy
16-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Just thinking about my contract for mindees starting in September. Have decided to charge half fee for mindees holidays or days off (if giving 4 weeks notice) but wonder if I should have limit of say 4 weeks per year. Here in Ireland kiddies have 2 months off in the summer and families quite often ask friends or extended family to help out with childcare. So I could end up with very little work over the summer.
I am not charging for my own holidays or sick days.

What do others do?

Sandra
xx

Dragonfly
16-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi, I charge for when they are on holiday for the reason you said. They could have loads of time away/holiday and you have got no wages coming in. I do not charge if I am not working holiday/off sick and I do put on my contracts 4weeks holiday per year.
Hope this helps.

katickles
16-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Mindee's are allowed 4 weeks - FULL FEE

I take upto 4 weeks - NO FEE

School Holidays - 1/2 rate retainer

This is how I work out holidays etc

Occasional days off mindee - Full fee, myself no fee

hth x

Heaven Scent
16-08-2008, 06:40 PM
If you are not charging for your holidays then I'd charge full for theirs. or I would do half for both - If they are paying full then they won't use friends and family. Also that way it doesn't matter how many holidays they take also it doesn't matter how many days hols they take.

I think no matter what you do you can't keep all the people happy all the time but you need to put proceedures in place so that you don't feel resentful towards the parents - there will be einough things that will pop up to do that.

tulip0803
16-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I did not specify an amount of weeks when I first registered last time and found that I was having this problem. The next year I put 4 weeks at half fee, which was better, but as you said if you let them have 4 weeks at half fee and all your mindees want the same weeks you could have a nice break BUT you income will halve. Not good if you have bills to pay

I am now re-registering again and it will be full fee for mindees holiday so I am not specifying a set amount of weeks for them as they will pay me fully whether they are there or not.

I do not charge for my time off.

Mrs M
18-08-2008, 08:35 AM
I charge full fee for their sickness and none for mine.
1/2 price for their hols but they are limited to four weeks per year and no charge for mine which are also limited to four weeks per year.
I also work their fee out over the year (taking into account four weeks at 1/2 price) and charge them a monthly amount. This way, when they're off and you're having a bit of a break, you're still earning the same as if they were there. It works out great for me as one of my mindee's parents is a school teacher so he does take him away a fair bit but I'm still earning the same.

Seonaid
26-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi
I'm getting myself in a total muddle with money. I want to work out the fees over the year like you do so I'm always earning but I can't quite get my head around how to calculate this. I'll be taking 4 weeks holiday a year with no fee but I'm charging full fee for the mindees holiday for 4 weeks. Please can someone clarify how I work it out?
Thanks x

tinkerbelle
26-08-2008, 08:59 AM
hi i charge full fee for childs hols and nothing for my hols we are both limited to 4 weeks each per year and most of the mums try to take their hols when i take mine this gives them 2 free weeks care as i am not working.
never had any problems with holidays this way hope it helps

Chatterbox Childcare
26-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I charge full fee for their sickness and holidays. If you start half fee and they take advantage of it you could work for 10 months of the year.

What about full fee for their hols and none for yours but if you can both organise your holidays at the same time half and half.

Debbie

LisaH
26-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I charge full fee for mindees sickness/holidays and no fee for my hols. Also only up to 4 weeks per year. Used to do half fee but stopped it when I had a parent who was always going on a holiday!! Definately a costly option.

I just think that the parents get holiday pay from there employers so there is no reason why they can't pay you. :)

Seonaid
27-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi
Thanks for all the help. I think I have it sussed now! Am going to deffo charge full rate when they are on holiday and nothing for mine. Seems like the most economical option.
Thanks