PDA

View Full Version : what course??????

kindredspirits
15-08-2008, 12:37 PM
:blush: i'm lost!!! i want to make the most of the opportunities the council are giving me to continue to train, but what course do i start with... i don't start working with children until end of october (unless anyone else comes up) and i'd quite like to have the option to work towards being able to work in other settings, i.e. a nursery or somewhere similar.
who do i approach, am i too early to think about this?? i got a leaflet thru the post today about level 2 qualifications which said you ought to have been working with children for 2 years first. :rolleyes: confused!

hillbilly
16-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi :)

All the courses can be very confusing! I would say that if you want something that is transferable into other practitioner roles then an NVQ would be a good place to start. You can do it in your own home, attendance at training sessions will depend on which college/provider you go with. If you havent got much experience of working with children you might start with the level 2 Children's Care Learning and Develoment NVQ. Alternatively you might wish to do the Diploma in Home based childcare (sorry if the name has change, but this is how I know it!) It will give you a good understanding of working as a childminder, and then you could go onto a level 3 NVQ as you will have had the experience and underpinning knowledge.

If you take a look at the Childrens Workforce Development Council website www.cwdcouncil.gov.uk you can look through a range of NVQ qualifications. Alternatively, the NCMA website has lots of info about training and qualifications www.*************

Hope this help

Kelly