PDA

View Full Version : Funding

mumofone
08-07-2023, 03:02 PM
Does everyone expect to offer the new funding?

loocyloo
08-07-2023, 03:27 PM
It depends how much it is, and what restrictions are put on delivering it!

I will offer it for current children, but won't particularly use it as a selling point for future children.

Maza
08-07-2023, 10:11 PM
Sadly, I don't think we'll have much choice. If everyone else is offering it in our area, then why would parents choose someone who doesn't - even if they really like the provider, they just couldn't bring themselves to pay.

Maza
09-07-2023, 07:41 AM
If we charge separately for food, can we still put food down as an expense on our tax return?

loocyloo
09-07-2023, 11:13 AM
If we charge separately for food, can we still put food down as an expense on our tax return?

I would still put any food bought for childminding down as an expense regardless of if the child was funded or not.

Pixie dust
09-07-2023, 07:03 PM
I am waiting to hear what our LA our going to say re funding and what the rates will be. I currently have children who are funded but they are all ones that started as babies with me and have stayed. I may not have choice as I feel parents will go where they can get the funding and things have gone very quiet here.

Mouse
14-07-2023, 10:10 AM
I already offer funding so will carry on doing it.

I was talking to someone from our LA recently. They said their expectation is for the new 2 year old funding rate (from April) to be about £2 an hour more than our current 2 year old rate. Then the rate for under 2s will be about double the current 2 year old rate. But he said parents will need to fit the same criteria as they do for the current 30 hours funding, so both parents or a single parent working for 16 or more hours a week.
If they only meet the criteria for the current 2 year old funding, that's what they'd get.

As I see it, we'd have qualifying under 2s on a really good rate. Then a drop in the rate for 2 year olds and another drop for 3 year olds. How's that going to work for childminders? In a nursery, under 2s would move into the 2 year old category and they could take on more under 2s. So they know they can always have X number of under 2s, Y number of 2 year olds and Z number of 3+, giving them a constant income.

But for childminders we can't do that. If I have 3 under 2s, they'll all become 2 year olds (so the rate drops) then 3 year olds (when the rate drops even more). I just can't see that being sustainable.

mumofone
15-07-2023, 03:20 PM
Sadly, I don't think we'll have much choice. If everyone else is offering it in our area, then why would parents choose someone who doesn't - even if they really like the provider, they just couldn't bring themselves to pay.

Yes that's how I feel too Maza!