PDA

View Full Version : Nurseries and food

Maza
07-06-2023, 10:23 PM
I know all nurseries are different, but does anyone know what a nursery does in terms of providing food for children who are allowed a very limited diet?

I have one who isn't allowed wheat, dairy, eggs, bread of any kind, processed food or tuna from a can. I am going round in circles with my own menu and so I have been looking online at nursery menus and this little one would barely be able to eat any of the meals on them. All the nurseries provide a vegetarian alternative (my mindee isn't vegetarian), but would they really go out of their way to cater for a child with so many restrictions to what they can eat? This child doesn't have allergies, by the way.

Pixie dust
08-06-2023, 12:12 PM
Sorry Maza I don't really know but I expect parents may be asked to provide their own food if the diet is that limited. I often look at local nurseries for meal ideas and am often surprised by some of the meals considering we are always being told to give children healthy options.

Maza
08-06-2023, 12:52 PM
Thanks Pixie. Yes, I also look at nirsery menus and am surprised at some of the things they serve. Sometimes, I think the food is leaning towards convenience/processed, and then other times I think that they have made it sound very sophisticated, and I wonder just how many of the children eat it! It's always a tricky balance.

Mouse
08-06-2023, 06:08 PM
I've got similar concerns about a child of mine who will be going to nursery in September.

They have a very limited diet and parents provide food. Mum is happy to carry on providing food when the child moves to nursery, but the food they eat needs heating and I can't imagine the nursery doing that (I know the nursery!)

I've told mum she needs to speak to them now rather than wait till September.

loocyloo
09-06-2023, 08:01 PM
I provide all food for regular and vegetarian children. For all medical conditions (dairy free, gluten free etc) I provide most food, with parents supplying some bits.

Anything else that is just parental preference, they have to provide.

A few of the local day nurseries/preschools I know, ask parents to provide all food/ snacks etc, for a whole day, and I don't think they heat food up.