PDA

View Full Version : DBS updates

mumofone
24-06-2022, 08:28 AM
Does anyone still use this forum??!!

I cant remember what the rules are surrounding DBS checks.....do we need to be signed up to the annual update service still or was it decided this was no longer necessary??

moggy
24-06-2022, 04:38 PM
The update service is optional, but they don't make that very clear!

loocyloo
25-06-2022, 07:32 AM
Forum is very very quiet these days :(

mumofone
25-06-2022, 06:00 PM
The update service is optional, but they don't make that very clear!

Ah is it? I remember it used to cost us about £10-£13 to do it. Is it written anywhere we don't need it any more?

moggy
26-06-2022, 09:02 PM
Ah is it? I remember it used to cost us about £10-£13 to do it. Is it written anywhere we don't need it any more?

DBS checks for childminders and childcare workers - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/criminal-record-checks-for-childminders-and-childcare-workers#dbs-update-service)
You have never 'needed' to do it, I believe. They just want you to, bit of a money spinner for them I guess! But it depends on your situation, it is worthwhile if you need to get yourself DBSed for other roles. Explained here.

Mouse
28-06-2022, 09:57 AM
My daughter is registered as my assistant and I keep her on the update service. I thought it would be useful if she worked at other places, but everywhere she's been, she's had to have a new DBS done. I'm not really sure what advantage there's been to her being on it.

mumofone
29-06-2022, 07:40 PM
My daughter is registered as my assistant and I keep her on the update service. I thought it would be useful if she worked at other places, but everywhere she's been, she's had to have a new DBS done. I'm not really sure what advantage there's been to her being on it.

Thanks Mouse, thats interesting. Yes good point!

mumofone
29-06-2022, 07:41 PM
DBS checks for childminders and childcare workers - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/criminal-record-checks-for-childminders-and-childcare-workers#dbs-update-service)
You have never 'needed' to do it, I believe. They just want you to, bit of a money spinner for them I guess! But it depends on your situation, it is worthwhile if you need to get yourself DBSed for other roles. Explained here.

Thanks Moggy. Oh I don't know why I thought we had to have it. I wont bother anymore, it will save me some money!