PDA

View Full Version : Sucking

Maza
19-10-2021, 01:14 PM
I know it can vary massively, but roughly what age would you say children stop sucking/mouthing resources?

I don't think it is teething related with this particular little one, but they constantly seem to be sucking on something. I have a couple of easy washable teething rings that I give them if they are sucking something that I really don't want them to suck, but it is pretty constant. Little one is very settled and happy, so not desperately trying to seek comfort.

Mouse
19-10-2021, 05:52 PM
I look after a child who is 22 months old and has permanently got something in his mouth. Last week he was walking round with a small plastic spoon in his mouth. When I took that away, he picked up some of the plastic tweezers and put those in his mouth instead. I keep saying "out of your mouth", so he'll take whatever it is out, but just put something else in! I don't think it's teething with him either. More like it's a sensory need.

How old is your child?

Maza
19-10-2021, 06:04 PM
Mine is 18 months old Mouse. Yours sounds just like mine! He can't resist sand and paint either.

Pixie dust
19-10-2021, 06:31 PM
Mine is 18 months old Mouse. Yours sounds just like mine! He can't resist sand and paint either.

I have a 3 year old that loves to put sand in their mouth, they look to see if I am looking and when they think I am not you see them lick it off their fingers !

Dragonfly
20-10-2021, 04:50 AM
Oh my gosh, this is such a common thing. I have 2 years that do it it’s a sensory thing, but I do find it irritating and like you, say out of the mouth but I may as well talk to myself.