PDA

View Full Version : Playing with books

Mouse
21-09-2021, 10:30 AM
What's your view on children using books for things other than looking at?

I've got a little boy at the moment who uses the board books as ramps. I usually stop him and give him other things to use (cardboard boxes, pieces of wood etc), but am I stopping his creativity by not letting him use the books?

I think it's fair enough when I stop them from standing on books, but wonder if I'm being too harsh stopping them from using them in other ways.

I'm interested in what you all think.

Ellisha
21-09-2021, 10:55 AM
I think I would be ok with it, as long as it's the more robust board books. I'm pretty sure I let my own children use books for ramps!

Maza
21-09-2021, 01:09 PM
I think I would be fine with it too, as long as the books weren't in danger of being ruined.

I remember when I was little, I was ALWAYS getting told off for drawing in books (especially the title page or the pages next to it which tend to have more space for drawing). I literally remember looking at my dad as I was being told off and thinking "well where else am I supposed to draw?" I had an innate desire to draw but hadn't been provided with any paper.

I do have one who likes to suck/chew books, and that is a definite no no!

Dragonfly
21-09-2021, 02:12 PM
I think every one has different rules, I don’t like seeing books littering the floor being walked on. I’d provide other things for ramps, bits of wood , cardboard etc and leave it where he can find it.

Pixie dust
21-09-2021, 07:32 PM
I think every one has different rules, I don’t like seeing books littering the floor being walked on. I’d provide other things for ramps, bits of wood , cardboard etc and leave it where he can find it.

That's the problem I am having with my new little one, she takes all the books out of the basket so she can climb in it. She is only 1 but it's a constant battle as I don't want to take away the books as it's not fair on the other children.

Dragonfly
22-09-2021, 07:04 AM
I have that with my one year old,I’m constantly picking books up . But also some of the older ones just drop books on the floor, say my 2.5 year old. I don’t think a lot of parents teach looking after books like us 😊.

Maybe a box or different basket would help you for the child to sit in / play with? Don’t hold your breath though they will still probably want the book basket .

Pixie dust
22-09-2021, 10:40 AM
I have that with my one year old,I’m constantly picking books up . But also some of the older ones just drop books on the floor, say my 2.5 year old. I don’t think a lot of parents teach looking after books like us 😊.

Maybe a box or different basket would help you for the child to sit in / play with? Don’t hold your breath though they will still probably want the book basket .

This made me smile Dragonfly as we had a delivery with a lovely cardboard box which I thought the little one would live to climb in and out of but no they weren't interested in that at all:laughing: