PDA

View Full Version : Activity inspiration!

mumofone
06-07-2021, 11:45 AM
What else should I be doing with the children I look after? This is what I do regularly - park, walks, feed ducks, Reading, puzzles, garden play (inc sand and water), indoor free play, kinetic sand, playdough, messy play, painting, drawing, craft (slightly older ones), baking (in school holidays), sticking, cutting. What else do you all do regularly?

Pixie dust
06-07-2021, 12:07 PM
Sounds like you are doing plenty with your children, as long as they are safe and having lots of fun playing with the added bonus of learning along the way try not to worry too much. Do you do any planting/growing ? Mine love checking the garden everyday for red strawberries at the moment.

loocyloo
06-07-2021, 12:10 PM
all of the above, rinse and repeat !!!!

My older children love a wooden marble run, a gears toy from learning resources, magnet toys/magnet ball and stick construction and knex.

today we've played outside making potions in the sand, and inside with the happyland fairies/little people dolls house and vehicles plus people/animals. all sorts of adventures going on. plus a big singsong with instruments and lots of actions.

they also love my boxes of 'heuristic/loose parts' including old phones and cameras, and now jewellary and purses/cards! they found a few bags, and we've been 'shopping'.

i have 3 asleep, and 4th is making playdough buns and biscuits. She doesn't want me to play :laughing: so i'm looking for some colouring pictures to go with our gnome story! ( and reading the forum! )

Mouse
06-07-2021, 12:43 PM
Each day I try to provide something to do with:

mark making
maths/numbers
small world play
construction
books/reading
singing/music
role play/dressing up
investigation
puzzles
fine motor skills
colours
outdoor play

They're really broad headings and one toy or activity usually covers more than one heading.

In addition we do regular (but not daily) walks, messy play, craft, baking, playdough etc.

mumofone
08-07-2021, 12:12 PM
Sounds like you are doing plenty with your children, as long as they are safe and having lots of fun playing with the added bonus of learning along the way try not to worry too much. Do you do any planting/growing ? Mine love checking the garden everyday for red strawberries at the moment.

We do little, we must do more though that's a good idea. What else do you grow?

Pixie dust
08-07-2021, 03:56 PM
We do little, we must do more though that's a good idea. What else do you grow?

We grow carrots/peas/tomatoes/potatoes/strawberries and this year we have a blueberry plant. We also have flowers growing. Cress is a quick and easy one for children having said that our last lot didn't grow :laughing: