PDA

View Full Version : childrens record book

rainbowsdawn
13-08-2008, 01:33 PM
:confused: hi all, just a bit confused on how to lay one out :panic: . each child has a daily diary that i use to write to parents (times of meals, what we done etc)

anyway now we have to do obs for each child, i have got as far as buying each child i care for a folder with plastic covers but not sure what it is need to be recording in these

any ideas would be really appreciated:confused:

mimo
13-08-2008, 02:07 PM
sorry Dawn havent got a clue. this sde of it has got me lost completely. Not sure what i am lookig out for and then how i tie it in with my planning ???? So i will be watching this for help too

Mrs.L.C
13-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I seperate the folder into the 6 areas of the EYFS (prev i did birth to three and the foundation stage) the out all obs/photos/work into the areas they come under

sarah707
13-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Check out the learning and development goals for the child's age and stage of development so you know the kinds of experiences you will be aiming at offering the child ...

Then when you take a photo or spot a wow moment, write it up and put it in the folder along with a link to the EYFS.

Think about how you will extend the child's knowledge using what you have seen and heard in the observation... this is your child-led planning.

Hope this helps :D

2kidsunder5
13-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I seperate the folder into the 6 areas of the EYFS (prev i did birth to three and the foundation stage) the out all obs/photos/work into the areas they come under

I was thinking of doing that but then what happens if they come under more than one area of learning, do you just put them in the main one?

I have done a scrap book for the little one I mind I started it in May and tried to work within EYFS guidelines. I am now thinking that maybe it should be a file seperated into the 6 areas of learning but it seems such a shame as I am really proud of the scrap book.

Diane

sarah707
13-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I have done a scrap book for the little one I mind I started it in May and tried to work within EYFS guidelines. I am now thinking that maybe it should be a file seperated into the 6 areas of learning but it seems such a shame as I am really proud of the scrap book.

Diane

Keep the scrap book!!!!

It's about finding the best way for you to work!

As you make notes in the scrap book just reference them back to eyfs and if that works for you, then it's the right thing for you to be doing :D

2kidsunder5
13-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes it does work for me and like I say I am proud of it but you do start doubting yourself as EYFS does not really give a right and wrong way.

I will keep the scrap book up Sarah thanks for that :) However, I may also start a file with the 6 areas of learning too and just put short obs, a couple lines that I usually write on a post it, along with a photo. I will still keep all his artwork (not that there is much of it :) ) and his main obs in his scrap book with his interests and favourite things - I guess his scrap book is more of an all about me book :)

Feeling much better about things now :)

Diane x

singlewiththree
13-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm only starting the course in Sept but wondered if I am organised to doing the right thing. I have recently purchased a comb binder for home use, have loads of things I want to bind! and photobooks should work out cheaper printed and bound myself hehe

Anyway I was planning on making a book and dividing into the birth to 3 categories and putting obs in that, should I be using the 6 EYFS categories instead. The beauty of the comb binding is I can take pages out, add pages and also do stuff on the computer that I want to add.

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Everyone has some great ideas but I cannot help but read and think that we are all making a lot of the EYFS.

I know there is more to think about but it is only Birth-3 on a larger scale.

Why don't just stick to what you know and adapt it. I am not segregating anything as the parents won't understand what it is when I give it to them to keep (will Ofsted - I doubt it!!)

Debbie

angeldelight
14-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Everyone has some great ideas but I cannot help but read and think that we are all making a lot of the EYFS.

I know there is more to think about but it is only Birth-3 on a larger scale.

Why don't just stick to what you know and adapt it. I am not segregating anything as the parents won't understand what it is when I give it to them to keep (will Ofsted - I doubt it!!)

Debbie

I agree with you 100%

Angel xx