PDA

View Full Version : Do people still eat turnips?

Maza
14-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Random post!

DH has never had one - he was brought up in sunnier climates and so isn't familiar with hardy root vegetables.

I know I like them - but I can't really remember how I would have eaten them.

I used to serve them raw for dd (and me) as an alternative to carrot sticks/cucumber for a snack, and a couple of times I added them to soups.

We're getting a bit bored of our usual veg and so I'm thinking about turnips... do you roast them, mash them...

loocyloo
14-11-2020, 02:15 PM
The question is .... what do you call a turnip?

I would say it's a round hard whitish vegetable with a purply top that you can roast. ... I'm not keen on turnip, they always make me think of a radish! Roasted though, they can be OK!

My sister in law however, calls a swede a turnip! I love swede mashed with lots of butter, or cooked and mashed with carrot.

Dragonfly
14-11-2020, 02:16 PM
It’s not something I buy. I can’t even remember what they taste like.

Mouse
14-11-2020, 02:43 PM
I'm sure turnips and swede are interchangeable, depending where you live!

I think of turnip as being white and swede as more orange coloured, but I know people who call a swede a turnip :laughing:

I do like swede but don't really recall eating turnip. We used to carve them on Halloween, but I don't remember eating them :huh:

Carrot and swede is one of my favourite veg dishes.

Maza
14-11-2020, 03:27 PM
Yes, I see a turnip as white/purple and swede as orange.

I'll try some again and let you know! Although my local co-op only sell swedes. I love swede too.

FussyElmo
16-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Yes we eat turnips or swedes i usually either mash them with potato or roast them with sweet potatoes/butternut squash

SYLVIA
16-11-2020, 10:15 PM
I’ve never eaten a turnip other than in a soup my mum used to make. I don’t like swede but both my daughters do and they like it mashed with carrots

dredm
17-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Yes, I still do eat turnips, swede is often confused with the turnip, though they look quite different.