PDA

View Full Version : What's the latest on daily diaries?

Maza
08-09-2020, 08:27 AM
Does anyone still do daily diaries for the kids to take home? I used to quite enjoy doing them, the parents loved them and I found them to be useful reminders of what we had done.

I know we are meant to be reducing the stuff we have going back and forth from setting to home. I wouldn't find doing it electronically as convenient, but obviously I will if that's the way forward.

What do you all do?

chris goodyear
08-09-2020, 09:09 AM
Yes I'm still doing them but only for under 2 year olds only one piece of paper so don't think that makes much difference. I have only ever done for this age group as sometimes it was hard remembering who had how many/dirty nappies, who slept when/how long, and who ate what, when we had more than one under 2!

Mouse
08-09-2020, 09:10 AM
I stopped doing daily diaries a few years ago.

When I was inspected several years ago the inspector asked why I did them (she was having a moan at me for having too much paperwork.) I said parents liked to read about what their children were doing each day and she said "don't you talk to them then?" I said they liked to see photos as well, so she said find a different way of sharing pictures that doesn't take up so much time. I didn't want to agree with the inspector (we didn't hit it off!), but I could see she had a point so I gradually phased them out.

For babies I had been doing them daily and then as the child got older I would start doing them weekly. It was OK when I only had a couple of children here, but once I had more it became impossible to get them done on time. I switched to monthly, but even that became a chore and I'd often find myself behind with them.

Since I stopped doing them I've had several younger siblings of children who used to have diaries. I wondered if parents would expect them for the younger siblings because they'd had them for their older children, but none have ever even mentioned them!

Once I stopped doing diaries I started using WhatsApp. I've cut back even more now and just use my FB business page. I blank out faces but parents message me if they want the original picture of their child.

Mouse
08-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Yes I'm still doing them but only for under 2 year olds only one piece of paper so don't think that makes much difference. I have only ever done for this age group as sometimes it was hard remembering who had how many/dirty nappies, who slept when/how long, and who ate what, when we had more than one under 2!

I didn't use mine to record nappies, sleep or food. Mine were a round up of what we'd done during the day with any funny quotes from the child, any new achievements etc. It's no wonder they took me so long to write! :laughing:

Dragonfly
08-09-2020, 09:44 AM
I still do them every day. Most parents like them, others you find in the bag untouched.

loocyloo
08-09-2020, 11:45 AM
I still do them every day. Most parents like them, others you find in the bag untouched.

Same here. One mum I've taken to saying 'it's in the diary, I can't remember off hand' ! As she always asks for a rundown on the day, so at the moment with limited time / other parents waiting it's useful.

I find them useful to look back over myself!

I use an A5 ringbinder folder and put a new sheet in each day. Then, if folder is forgotten, I can still send a sheet home. I didn't use folders over lock down but parents added the sheets at home. I also have a couple of plastic wallets at the back to put notes/ medical forms/ any other bits and pieces, plus have a sheet for parents to write me notes. Some do and some don't !

I thought about doing them online, but I write faster than I type and I have been writing them so long, it's no bother!

I tend to write a brief synopsis of the day, from the child's perspective and try to mention something particular child has said or done. I write them until child is only coming after school!

Pixie dust
08-09-2020, 12:35 PM
When lockdown started I switched from handwritten to online as I use the Tapestry online journals anyway and have found parents read that more than they did the written ones....Its not too bad once you get used to it plus I only have to type some things once and it can be written in all diaries at the same time meals etc.