PDA

View Full Version : That Sunday Feeling...

Maza
21-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Do you get that horrible Sunday feeling?

We had friends who used to do weekends away/big days out on Sundays and would stay out until the evening. They felt it made their weekend longer. A couple of times we went away with them but we found that we were itching to get home early on the Sunday so that we could get stuff ready for work and have time to get our heads around the week to come. Although I do love days out I find it depressing traveling back late on a Sunday evening.

Another lovely couple that we hang out with suffer and moan so much about Sunday blues that we avoid seeing them on Sundays now because they drag us down too. We saw them on Saturday this weekend and they were much more cheerful!

I'm finding it really hard to shake off the Sunday blues today. I don't think I suffered as much from it when I was a childminder, although maybe I'm remembering it through rose tinted glasses! Do you suffer from it? If so, how do you combat it?

FloraDora
21-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Oh how I do not want that feeling again.
You are not alone I am sure.
The good news is when you retire that feeling goes!
Sorry to mention it but it is the one thing DH and I love...no Sunday blues.
For a while we met up with teacher friends who suffered from the same issue and always had an afternoon tea, just round at ours but it did end Sunday nicely ....we used to have one glass of wine before they left and all was relaxed.
I always had a routine of Friday night before children’s bedtime we did all homework, ours included if we could, if not Sun morning before the family emerged was our next planning slot. So no panic, tears, annoyance last minute HW on Sunday afternoon / evening. All uniform, lunches for Monday were done early.
Our family routine emerged...later when the boys were teenagers we sat with diaries/ calendars and planned the week together, clubs, who needed lifts, who was home when, meals sort of planned...it meant that Sun eve was planning free and, in theory, cleared our minds.
DH and I, when the boys left home, would plan our Sunday nights, a sort of date night in. Film, music evening, a craft activity that we liked to do together...we had to get clothes and packed lunch for Monday ready and bags packed and in the car first - so all that we could conceivably do that weekend for work on Monday was done. This stopped thoughts wandering to the dreaded work.
It worked most weekends but it was sometimes too forced and the Sunday night regretting not having done that work, worried about the weekend slipped in.
I think when childminding the feeling was still there, but we were much more in control of the week, so not so pronounced.

loocyloo
21-01-2018, 08:14 PM
I like Sundays... but I don't work Mondays!

If we've been out or away, I like to be home early evening as usually spend early evening with DD and DS packing their school bags, ironing uniform and generally talk through week so I have a vague idea of to needs to be where and when!

Pixie dust
21-01-2018, 10:05 PM
I have tried to make Sunday a work free zone as I was finding myself doing planning/accounts or just looking online for ideas. I think when you work from home its hard to escape work as its always there!

FussyElmo
22-01-2018, 07:41 AM
I didn't get the time to get the Sunday blues.

It's dhs weekend so that makes organisation easier. Though it's been so cold this weekend after football and rugby it's been hot baths, pjs and snuggles on the settee. I will regret the lack of doing stuff probably mid week :laughing::laughing:

BallyH
22-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Maza I know what you mean. If we have a busy weekend planned I try to see friends on a Friday and Saturday evening. I like Sunday's free to potter and get sorted and my fix of being a couch potato on a Sunday evening. We watched some Ski Sunday yesterday and the scenery and speed was amazing.