PDA

View Full Version : Snow watch

FussyElmo
25-04-2017, 06:34 AM
I wasn't expecting to do know watch but with our crazy unpredictable weather who has snow?

We woke up to it disappearing now just on rooftops, garden toys etc.

If it wasnt for the snow it would look like a beautiful sunny day but I'm guessing it's cold out there.

loocyloo
25-04-2017, 06:58 AM
oh my goodness!

we don't have snow, but its bitterly cold outside. Beautiful sunny day though, with big blue skies. The gritters were out last night, so I should have known it was going to be cold!

SYLVIA
25-04-2017, 08:29 AM
No snow in Kent. Biting wind though and lovely and sunny

BallyH
25-04-2017, 09:47 AM
What? Did I read that correctly?

No snow here. Also cold but a beautiful sunny day.

FussyElmo
25-04-2017, 12:19 PM
What? Did I read that correctly?

No snow here. Also cold but a beautiful sunny day.

Yes we have just had another wintery shower. It madness sitting outside on Sunday planning for the garden play this week. Our focus has changed from planting back to ice play

bunyip
25-04-2017, 01:25 PM
We've had a brief snow flurry, some short showers of freezing rain, and a couple of spells in the garden in t-shirts with full, warm sunshine.

Not sure why this is seen as such an unusual event..... every year.

IIRC the weather records show that it snows in England in April more often than not. Met Office records indicate more days and more depth in snow on average for the last week of April than the last week of November in most years.

FloraDora
25-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Years ago ( early 80's) I painted the window frames on my house in the Easter holidays and the backs of my legs got scorched whilst I was up the ladder, it was so hot. The following year we decided to have a camping holiday....In April Easter holidays....our tent zip froze over and it snowed.
I have never trusted the April weather since, April is always unpredictable weather in my experience, interesting fact that statistics show that snow days at the end of April more than November, I would have lost money on that! Good research Bunyip.

SYLVIA
25-04-2017, 07:03 PM
9 years ago, tomorrow, I had to have my dog put to sleep and the last photo I have of him is him laying in the snow on the 16 April. And by contrast my DD1 got married 6 years ago 23 April and we had just had a 2 week heatwave and we were all in summer dresses

sarah707
25-04-2017, 07:11 PM
We've had a few storms today - a big one just before tea time which covered the garden in hailstones - came with a huge clap of thunder and crash of lightening as well!

Some of the children were a bit frightened but they loved watching it out of the patio doors :D

loocyloo
25-04-2017, 07:13 PM
9 years ago, tomorrow, I had to have my dog put to sleep and the last photo I have of him is him laying in the snow on the 16 April. And by contrast my DD1 got married 6 years ago 23 April and we had just had a 2 week heatwave and we were all in summer dresses

My ds was born 15 yrs ago and I had tan lines from sunbathing before he was born! It was glorious for the next 3 days whilst I was in hospital. The day they finally let me out .. it was very cold and wet and continued like that for days!

6 yrs ago we moved house early April, and didn't see any rain (and it wasn't cold) till mid May!

Been talking to a farmer friend who was planning on putting his lambs out today! He's holding off for a day or 2 now.

Dragonfly
26-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Hail stones in south east

bunyip
27-04-2017, 05:59 AM
On morning school/preschool run we had an air temperature of 2degrees C, with wind chill bringing that to a "realfeel" of zero degrees.

Parents were, as usual suitably prepared. Between four children, they sent: one woolly hat, one glove (singular), two sun hats, and two bottles of sunscreen. One little girl arrived with only one item of clothing that had sleeves: a thin kagoul.) :eek:

BallyH
27-04-2017, 01:54 PM
On morning school/preschool run we had an air temperature of 2degrees C, with wind chill bringing that to a "realfeel" of zero degrees.

Parents were, as usual suitably prepared. Between four children, they sent: one woolly hat, one glove (singular), two sun hats, and two bottles of sunscreen. One little girl arrived with only one item of clothing that had sleeves: a thin kagoul.) :eek:

This made me smile. So another normal day then.

loocyloo
27-04-2017, 03:58 PM
This made me smile. So another normal day then.

Made me laugh too!
Mine all came with suncream and sunhats!

Then, this morning when it was raining ... i had 2 with no coats and another in canvas slip ons!