PDA

View Full Version : Frog spawn in in the pond already!

Maza
09-03-2017, 10:53 PM
I've just mentioned this in Fussy's post about Spring, but I thought I would give you all the heads up. I noticed frogspawn in our local pond today - don't remember it being so early last year, but maybe it was. Just thought I'd let you know incase you have a pond near you so that you can start checking it with your little ones roundabout now. It's such a short period and it's a shame to miss it. One year we were lucky enough to pop by when loads and loads of frogs were in the water mating/laying eggs (do they mate in the water?) but we have missed that this year - with all the terrible weather we have had recently I hadn't thought of checking the pond just yet. Have you guys noticed any near you yet?

FloraDora
10-03-2017, 06:03 AM
I have a 'buried bucket' pond near the compost bin, in an area the children are not allowed to go unsupervised in my garden. DH said he saw a frog there last week.....I will pop out to see if we now have frog spawn. We had some the year before last but not last year, but the children and I built makeshift steps to it last year in our efforts to entice, perhaps it worked. Thanks for the heads up.

moggy
10-03-2017, 08:08 AM
We have some in our pond. It is not early really- In 2013 and 2014 we had some this week in March too. It was slightly later the last 2 years.
Looking forward to watching the tadpoles!

Maza
10-03-2017, 09:38 AM
We have some in our pond. It is not early really- In 2013 and 2014 we had some this week in March too. It was slightly later the last 2 years.
Looking forward to watching the tadpoles!

I keep saying I must make a nature diary to record dates of significant changes. Maybe we can use one of DDs many notebooks that she has lying around and start one today. x

FussyElmo
10-03-2017, 10:16 AM
I want frogspawn mmmm maybe need to go and try and source some this year :thumbsup:

loocyloo
10-03-2017, 11:58 AM
I want frogspawn mmmm maybe need to go and try and source some this year :thumbsup:

My neighbour has lots in her pond... I'm debating having some to 'hatch' at home ...

FussyElmo
10-03-2017, 12:02 PM
My neighbour has lots in her pond... I'm debating having some to 'hatch' at home ...

My neighbour has a pear tree 😂😂😂 wish they had a pond.

I wonder if the park pond will have some in I know there were baby frogs a few years back

mama2three
10-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Mine loved watching them last year , we took them back to a friends pond when they started hopping out of the tank! Havent completely decided whether to do it again this year. They have them in school so wouldnt miss out. We are away for the whole easter break and certainly wouldnt trust my ''grown up'' sons to feed them!!

BallyH
10-03-2017, 08:23 PM
My neighbour has a pear tree 😂😂😂 wish they had a pond.

I wonder if the park pond will have some in I know there were baby frogs a few years back
My neighbour has far too many cars for their driveway and park all over the place. Wish they had just a pond! lol.

Dragonfly
13-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Always have frogspawn this time of year in my pond. Sheltered garden.

Ripeberry
15-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Our frogspawn has already 'hatched' and the whole pond is wriggling with them.

loocyloo
15-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Our frogspawn has already 'hatched' and the whole pond is wriggling with them.

Oh wow!

The frogspawn in our local pond has vanished ... but the pond is in a field that has recently had cows in it ... i wonder if the cows have drunk it!

watford wizz
15-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Oooo will look out for them in our morning milk!!

Dragonfly
17-03-2017, 09:34 AM
After a while the frogspawn sinks down off the surface of the water making it harder to see.

FussyElmo
31-03-2017, 08:40 AM
I've just mentioned this in Fussy's post about Spring, but I thought I would give you all the heads up. I noticed frogspawn in our local pond today - don't remember it being so early last year, but maybe it was. Just thought I'd let you know incase you have a pond near you so that you can start checking it with your little ones roundabout now. It's such a short period and it's a shame to miss it. One year we were lucky enough to pop by when loads and loads of frogs were in the water mating/laying eggs (do they mate in the water?) but we have missed that this year - with all the terrible weather we have had recently I hadn't thought of checking the pond just yet. Have you guys noticed any near you yet?

I blame you lot for the bucket full of frog spawn in my house.

A mindees mum had lots in her pond so brought me some. Very excited children who want to see the tadpoles growing

Maza
31-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Oh that's brilliant Fussy! They will remember that forever.

We got some tadpoles last year but sadly they didn't live for very long, so I'm reluctant to do it again. I felt awful.

Maza
05-04-2017, 02:01 PM
How are they doing Fussy?

We have ended up with some now after all. DD just collected tadpoles a while ago whilst out on a bike ride.

FussyElmo
05-04-2017, 05:34 PM
How are they doing Fussy?

We have ended up with some now after all. DD just collected tadpoles a while ago whilst out on a bike ride.

Living I have quite a few with tails now. The children give me regular updates and I mean at 15 minute intervals

FussyElmo
06-04-2017, 11:19 AM
On reflection I have approx 60 tadpoles I'm slightly worried if they all develop into frogs I'm looking at the divorce courts.

Even the minders mum was surprised they had all hatched as most die when in her pond :eek::eek:

Maza
21-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Are they still going strong Fussy?

Ours are doing really well, but no legs yet.

FussyElmo
22-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Are they still going strong Fussy?

Ours are doing really well, but no legs yet.

Oh yes no legs yet though. Im hoping a few do survive to become full on frogs :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
23-04-2017, 04:01 PM
I have about 15 froglets in my house!