PDA

View Full Version : Accident & Incident Book Empty

brighter
10-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Hello,

I am minding for a few months now and have never used the Accident and Incident book before. When I child falls (which happens quite frequently I suppose) is that an incident? If there is no bruise or blood to see, do you think I need to put this down in the book? As I am a bit worried that maybe I should have put that down.

Many thanks!

Spangles
10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I asked my dev officer about this and she said that you have to use common sense with what you put in the accident books.

I don't put every single little knock in there as that would be ridiculous and a full-time job in itself for some children!

I have put a couple of head bangs in and a child banging his knee on the hearth but apart from that I don't have anymore. I would probably write down anything where the skin was broken because of infections etc and anything that caused great stress or marked if you see what I mean.

That's just what I do though, everyone has different ideas about what counts as an accident.

Chimps Childminding
10-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't put every little knock in or it would be full in a week. I alway put bumps to the head, anything that draws blood or breaks the skin. Also any wasp/bee stings.

Pudding Girl
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I asked this very same thing not so long back and wouldn't you know it as soon as I asked it, I had something to fill in my accident book lol!

Have yet to put anything in the incident book yet though

Heaven Scent
10-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't put every little trip into it especially if there is nothing to see but I would start putting the odd thing in as ofsted like to see how you respond to things - I also put things in my existing injuries book when the children arrive with marks - again not everything but I do that to cover myself because parents are great at pointing the finger and forgetting injuries that happen when the children are in their care and only ever remembering what happened when they are in your care - even the nicest of parents can turn on us when the mood takes them - they may even just be having a bad day and if you can show them evidence then they may calm down quickly. I haven't got much but I have an equal record of both.

miffy
10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't put every little knock in or it would be full in a week. I alway put bumps to the head, anything that draws blood or breaks the skin. Also any wasp/bee stings.

I do the same but would also write up any heavy or awkward falls/bumps even if there were no obvious signs of injury - I think you have to use a bit of common sense and if you are unsure then record it.

Don't worry if you have nothing in your accident book - an inspector might ask you questions to see if you know what sort of things to record but they can't mark you down for taking such good care of the children.

Miffy xx

mimo
13-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I have been childminding for a good few years now and have not got many accident forms filled in at all . If you fill one in for every little tumble it coul affect the care you are offering the child.One child i mind has cerebal palsy and therefore is constantly falling over He fell over about 40 times during my last inspection i pointed out to the inspextor that if i were to fill aform in every time he fell i would spend no time with him just filling in the forms ,she was fine with this. If there is blood or a mark or a significant bang to their head i fill a form in.