PDA

View Full Version : arrrggghhhhh obs

emmadines
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I start minding for the 1st time on Monday and am petrified about the paperwork.....

the obs in particular at this point I’m not 100% sure in what they want from us!!!!?????

xx

Spangles
09-08-2008, 11:26 PM
You could do a set activity with him, like painting or messy play or a jigsaw or anything at all really. Just watch him and see how he approaches it, if he's interested, if he has preferences, if he has difficulties, then make notes, type it up and decide if there is any way you can help him with it if he needs it or if you can see a way to develop it or move to the next step, or move to something else that he indicated was an interest. Also try and see which areas of the EYFS areas the activity relates to.

What I did with my little girl that started recently is I noticed for the first couple of weeks things that she could already do like crawl backwards for instance and made a note of it and said what I would do to try and encourage her to move forwards and be stronger. I also put which areas of EYFS this activity related to like physical development, communication, language and literacy in using words to encourage her, congratulate her, KUW in getting to know her surroundings, PSED in learning her capabilities and forming relationship, self-confidence, bla, bla, bla!

Sorry, this is probably no help to you at all is it!

sarah707
10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Nobody knows how much is going to be expected from us because Ofsted refuse to tell us...

Different authorities are busy making up their own rules / recommendations, but these are not what have come from Ofsted.

The only thing anyone can advise is to do enough so that you feel you are meeting the eyfs.

Show you watch and listen to a child, show you read your obs back and use them for future planning and show you plan to take a child forward in their learning and development.

However you do that is right if it works. :D

Mrs.L.C
10-08-2008, 11:31 AM
photos are the best obs and easy. Just have the camera near by, and rem to take it out (make sure u have permission from parents to takes photos though) then little 1 line written obs like Tommy kicked the football with his right foot. He did it again and again. and then once/twice a term write a loner observation. set up an acvtivity or let the hcild chose their own and just write exactly what they do for 5 mins. Eg Tommy pulled the train track set box out and put it on the floor using both hands. He knelt down on the floor looking into the box. using his right hand he took 1 peice out and placed it on the floor. he took out another peice and joined it to the other using both hands. He was sticking out his tongue as he did this. and so on. Just rem not to make asumptions like Tommy looked like he is making the track...if thta makes sence.

Finaly any work that will fit into the folder, incl that aswell. I find alot of the chidlren do more than one painting or sticking picture so they take some home and some go into the folder which goes home to parents when they leave.

emmadines
10-08-2008, 11:50 AM
So basically write it as if ofsted are dumb

e.g. making a cuppa tea using a kettle.

walk north east towards the kettle, lift right hand in an upwards and forwards direction and grasp the kettles handle.
Lift kettle of the stand in an upwards direction then walk to the tap. remove the lid of kettle. Place kettle under tap and turn the tap handle in a clockwise direction to release water, etc, etc, etc,

Mrs.L.C
10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
lol yes basicaly and keep it simple

emmadines
10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
ah I can do that haha:laughing:

miffy
10-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Keep it simple - don't make it too complicated or too long - post-it notes have been widely talked about as a means for recording observations and you can't write much on one of them!

Miffy xx

Mrs.L.C
10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
i think the main thing is to remember to do it. We do it everyday anyway with the children but never write it down so its just making a mental note that if you see the child doing something you havnt seen them do before...jot it down or i usualy write it down later in the evening if i dont get time there and then or when we get back if we are out as little things you remember anyhow. Some people say carry a small pad and pen around with you all the time but easier said than done