PDA

View Full Version : Getting registered

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I am looking ay becoming ofsted registered as my sister-in-law has asked me to look after her little girl on a permenant basis and i wondered if any of you know if i have to be registered in order to recieve the benefits she gets for being a single mom and at university. Thank you X

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Katie - so long as your SIL is using reg'd childcare she should still get (if she is entitled too) tax credits or what ever else she is applying for (bursary etc).
So yes you would have to be a registered childcarer.

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Katie - so long as your SIL is using reg'd childcare she should still get (if she is entitled too) tax credits or what ever else she is applying for (bursary etc).
So yes you would have to be a registered childcarer.
i thought i would have to be registered. Do i have to be registered as a childminder if can i go to her house and do it as a nanny? How would i get the payment and how do i become registered?? SOmeone also told me that they wont let her have benefits paid to me coz im family? ANyone know any more about this?? she is entitled to benefits as where she lives now, she is recieving them. Thank you X

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 12:56 PM
If you go to her home and care for the child then it will be considered nannying. Different kettle of fish.
If you are caring for the child on your premises then you will need to be a reg'd childminder - if you are interested speak to your local childrens information service and they should be able to advise you on the process.

As for SIL not getting the benefits because you are family - I don't think that is right - many people childmind for family.

LOOPYLISA
08-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi im looking after my neice 4 days a week at the mo, you do not need to be registered as she is family, however to be entilted to tax credits you will recieve this when you become registered, i was told at my pre reg this week to treat my neice as i would the minded children as in paperwork etc x:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Just to clarify what Lisa is saying though

taken from Ofsted guide to registering:

Who needs to register as a childminder:

People need to register if they look after 1 or more children under the age of 8. This is for a total of more that 2hrs a day on domestic premises for reward. Reward can be money or payment in kind.

you do not need to register as a childminder if you are:
parent or close relative.

You could always check with Ofsted Katie for yourself - 08456 40 40 40

You are saying though for you SIL in to get her benefits or financial help though - you would have to be registered

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 01:45 PM
thank you both. Yes to pay for the childcare of her little girl, she gets childcare vouchers i think so it looks like yes i will have to be registered. I will call ofsted myself to find out some more info and will speak to my sister-in-law. Thank you again X

LOOPYLISA
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Your welcome good luck x:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
You are more than welcome!

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Your welcome good luck x:thumbsup:

thank you. Can i just ask how you get paid for looking after your niece then? thank you X

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
The parent(s) apply for the tax credit/bursary/grant and then tehy get the money paid to them and parent pays you

LOOPYLISA
08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
thank you. Can i just ask how you get paid for looking after your niece then? thank you X

I don.t........................................:eek:

As soon as registered then will be x

Hope this helps x:thumbsup:

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 02:41 PM
The parent(s) apply for the tax credit/bursary/grant and then tehy get the money paid to them and parent pays you

Just had this confirmed off my sister in law and as long as im ofsted registered she can pay me so im gonna get registered and look after niece at her house but also sort out my childminding stuff as well and then can look after her at mine eventually. so my next question, can i register with ofsted without being a childminder??

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 02:47 PM
You'd have to talk that through with Ofsted.
I suppose to register with Ofsted as a nanny you'd have to be a qualified nanny (NNEB or similar) but they won't register you unless you are becoming a minder.

You can look after your neice until your registration comes through (this involves going through the process I have described ICP, First Aid, CRB, pre-reg etc) at her own home though I guess

LOOPYLISA
08-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Just had this confirmed off my sister in law and as long as im ofsted registered she can pay me so im gonna get registered and look after niece at her house but also sort out my childminding stuff as well and then can look after her at mine eventually. so my next question, can i register with ofsted without being a childminder??

Good luck with it all x:D

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 03:02 PM
i currently work as a nanny and am a quailified nursery nurse. So long as im registered with ofsted, all will be ok with payments X

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Can't advise on nannying I'm afraid and the payment side of things - perhaps Ofsted will be able to advise or I am sure you know the process if you are already nannying.
If you check out NCMA (national childminding association) they have NCMA Nanny section - give them a call or the website and you will find info

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Although as far as I know Nannys aren't regulated by Ofsted as far as I know

buildingblocks
08-08-2008, 08:40 PM
thank you both. Yes to pay for the childcare of her little girl, she gets childcare vouchers i think so it looks like yes i will have to be registered. I will call ofsted myself to find out some more info and will speak to my sister-in-law. Thank you again X

Also if you register then you will also be able to look after other children as well and earn a fairly good income. I do this job because I love working with children but I could never have earned this kind of money as a nanny unless I left hubby and went to London (what do you mean Gary has gone to buy me a train ticket)

KatieMarks
09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
i earn good money as a nanny now so need to make sure they money i get from this is enough to cover my bills etc. I am going to register as a home carer so i can look after my niece at her own home while my application to become a childminder goes through.