PDA

View Full Version : drumming up business

crumpet54
21-03-2016, 07:37 AM
I've been registered 6 months now and still only got the 1 year old if signed up with on day 1!
I did have a baby but he only lasted until the settling in period as dad lost his job.

I search childcare.co.uk and message parents in the area I've just looked and this month alone I've messaged 17 parents and only had 1 reply! ! How frustrating!
I've got a business page on f a c e book, which i share updates of activities and outings etc (no photos of children just activities /room/ outings etc) I share this on local selling pages regularly at different times of the day to catch different people etc.
I'm in touch with local childminders which have passed my number on but I don't get a call! (2 this month)
I have a car sign advertising my childminding business and also a t shirt printed which i wear whenever I go out etc,
I tell everyone that I'm a childminder, I've got business cards printed and advertising in local shops, post office, doctors, schools etc

I really am so disheartenend and fed up, any advice would be great, thanks

alex__17
21-03-2016, 07:45 AM
Could you get old parent and existing parent to write you reviews for your childcare.co.uk profile? I found a couple of good reviews in the early days helped massively with getting replies from new parents when I messaged them!
Have you left your details in local schools/preschools you collect from?
Tell all your friends, although sounds like you are doing, all my work came from friend recommendations and childcare.co.uk

crumpet54
21-03-2016, 07:58 AM
Yep got brilliant reviews from existing parents and even one from a parent that came for a viewing but then partners working shift changed so she didn't need me (genuine reason ) , she wrote a fantastic review on both sites,

Friends have been sharing my page, leaflets up in their place of work etc
Yep been in regular contact with local community centres, nursery schools , library etc everyone knows me lol

I'm on the local authority database for parents looking , regular contact with my development officer,

Also got adverts on i child, care , netmums, mumsnet etc

loocyloo
21-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Do you go to any toddler groups etc?

I moved to an area where I knew no one and my children were at school. I used to go to a variety of toddler groups on my own! ) I did explain to those running it why I was there! - I volunteered to help set up/do refreshments/hold babies so mum could have a hot drink etc. It helped me get out and meet people and then all those at toddlers could tell other people about me!
I also talked to everyone everywhere and told them what I did ... queues, post office, drs, coffee shops etc. I have a fleece that says childminder on the back and always wore it. i carried business cards in my pocket to give to anyone vaguely interested.
It was hard, because I'm really quite shy, but I needed to get some work! It took me about 6 mths to get a selection of LOs. Most of them came through word of mouth or FIS. (Although some had also seen me on childcare.co.uk)

Good luck xx

crumpet54
21-03-2016, 08:15 AM
Do you go to any toddler groups etc?

I moved to an area where I knew no one and my children were at school. I used to go to a variety of toddler groups on my own! ) I did explain to those running it why I was there! - I volunteered to help set up/do refreshments/hold babies so mum could have a hot drink etc. It helped me get out and meet people and then all those at toddlers could tell other people about me!
I also talked to everyone everywhere and told them what I did ... queues, post office, drs, coffee shops etc. I have a fleece that says childminder on the back and always wore it. i carried business cards in my pocket to give to anyone vaguely interested.
It was hard, because I'm really quite shy, but I needed to get some work! It took me about 6 mths to get a selection of LOs. Most of them came through word of mouth or FIS. (Although some had also seen me on childcare.co.uk)

Good luck xx

Yep I've taken my own daughter to toddler groups since she was very young, so they all know that I'm up and running now etc. Also at soft play etc they all know me , i have my flyers advertised there also.
Myself and my partner tell absolutely everyone, in the supermarket checkout etc lol
I find it easier when I'm with my daughter as it's easy to start a conversation with her around!

Mouse
21-03-2016, 08:37 AM
It took me months and months to get started, so I have every sympathy.

You say you're in touch with local childminders so does that mean you actually meet up with them? I found that was the only way to get work in the end - go along to their meeting every week and play the sympathy card! Luckily one of them felt very sorry for me and passed on the next call they got. They signed up and I've been busy ever since.

I've found that a lot of the children I've looked after don't actually live near me, but parents travel through this way on their way to work. Are there any big businesses near you that might be worth thinking about? I'm on a direct route to a couple of big employers so have had a lot of work from people working there. I've never needed to advertise with them, but if I did I'd contact the HR department to see if I could leave my details or put a leaflet on their noticeboard.

Is there a baby clinic near you? Some won't let you leave a business card, but some will.

crumpet54
21-03-2016, 08:46 AM
It took me months and months to get started, so I have every sympathy.

You say you're in touch with local childminders so does that mean you actually meet up with them? I found that was the only way to get work in the end - go along to their meeting every week and play the sympathy card! Luckily one of them felt very sorry for me and passed on the next call they got. They signed up and I've been busy ever since.

I've found that a lot of the children I've looked after don't actually live near me, but parents travel through this way on their way to work. Are there any big businesses near you that might be worth thinking about? I'm on a direct route to a couple of big employers so have had a lot of work from people working there. I've never needed to advertise with them, but if I did I'd contact the HR department to see if I could leave my details or put a leaflet on their noticeboard.

Is there a baby clinic near you? Some won't let you leave a business card, but some will.

Yes sorry I should have said I meet up weekly /fortnightly with cm i go to a group, meet some others at soft play, i bumped into one last weekend and she said she had passed on my number to a parent but they've not called.
There's a new big business development site close by and I've contacted them with my details.
Yep the baby clinical is in the doctors surgery which is based in a community centre type building, i am advertised on the notice board.

Mouse
21-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Yes sorry I should have said I meet up weekly /fortnightly with cm i go to a group, meet some others at soft play, i bumped into one last weekend and she said she had passed on my number to a parent but they've not called.
There's a new big business development site close by and I've contacted them with my details.
Yep the baby clinical is in the doctors surgery which is based in a community centre type building, i am advertised on the notice board.

It sounds as if you're trying absolutely everything you can :(

We have one cm here who sounds just like you. She's lovely and we all pass on her number, but parents either don't contact her, don't turn up, say they will use her then don't, or leave after a very short time. She's about ready to give up now, which is a real shame.

You do find that some times of year are busier than others. I went for a while with no enquiries, but at the moment I'm getting them daily. Unfortunately all you can do is wait for the rush to start.

alex__17
21-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Children's centre? Or any baby groups like newborn to walkers, children's centre and NCT both run a couple near me, as parents will often discuss childcare when thinking about going back to work after maternity, if you could arrange to go and introduce yourself and hand out leaflets or cards with references you'll stick in their mind when they need to find someone

crumpet54
22-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Children's centre? Or any baby groups like newborn to walkers, children's centre and NCT both run a couple near me, as parents will often discuss childcare when thinking about going back to work after maternity, if you could arrange to go and introduce yourself and hand out leaflets or cards with references you'll stick in their mind when they need to find someone

I'm in contact with nct but they don't allow cm to advertise :(
Yes I'm known at children's centre etc, it's just so hard I'm literally doing everything I can.
Absolutely skint now , my car insurance is up for renewal, card just declined no money, then just had email my dbs is up for renewal is can't believe it's been a year and I'm still not earning! I literally get 50 a week from current mindee , I've never been this skint in my life, im in tears this morning just don't know what to do, can't get any help etc as partner works, it's just not fair we're meant to be able to live off his wage,

Sorry for the rant just so blooming fed up

Mouse
22-03-2016, 10:12 AM
I'm in contact with nct but they don't allow cm to advertise :(
Yes I'm known at children's centre etc, it's just so hard I'm literally doing everything I can.
Absolutely skint now , my car insurance is up for renewal, card just declined no money, then just had email my dbs is up for renewal is can't believe it's been a year and I'm still not earning! I literally get 50 a week from current mindee , I've never been this skint in my life, im in tears this morning just don't know what to do, can't get any help etc as partner works, it's just not fair we're meant to be able to live off his wage,

Sorry for the rant just so blooming fed up

:(

I'm sorry to hear things are so bad for you.

I don't think anyone ever tells you how tough it can be to get started so it can come as a bit of a shock when the work doesn't appear.

I know it completely defeats the object of registering as a childminder, but could you look for some temporary work to help you out? And have you checked that you're definitely not entitled to any benefits? Did you receive the childminding grant after you'd registered (is it £250?) I know it's not a huge amount but it all helps.

k1rstie
22-03-2016, 10:39 AM
It might be worth crafting your local school again. Not sure of everyone's dates, but our local authority lets their parents know their primary school place on the 18th April. After the schools are announced, there can often be a flurry as parents are getting sorted for September, or child may start after Easter.

I have a very good relationship with my local school, my daughter is in year 5, and my oldest one did too, plus all my older ones go there too. I often bake brownies, and just drop them into the office. I use the chocolate brownie mix from Costco, and everyone loves it. The school office is a place parents may ask about childcare, so it's worth keeping the office ladies sweet!! Also don't forget that often teachers need childcare too! I currently have the kids of one of their teachers, chair of the PTA, and another teacher lined up.

Find out when the new parents reception open evening/meeting is. The teachers may be able to discreetly pass your details on.

Good luck, and it will come.

crumpet54
22-03-2016, 02:07 PM
:(

I'm sorry to hear things are so bad for you.

I don't think anyone ever tells you how tough it can be to get started so it can come as a bit of a shock when the work doesn't appear.

I know it completely defeats the object of registering as a childminder, but could you look for some temporary work to help you out? And have you checked that you're definitely not entitled to any benefits? Did you receive the childminding grant after you'd registered (is it £250?) I know it's not a huge amount but it all helps.

Thanks, yes I applied and got the grant successfully.

I've just been on phone to my development officer to confirm the price i would get for funding £2.29 per hour for 3-4 funding what a joke

crumpet54
22-03-2016, 02:08 PM
It might be worth crafting your local school again. Not sure of everyone's dates, but our local authority lets their parents know their primary school place on the 18th April. After the schools are announced, there can often be a flurry as parents are getting sorted for September, or child may start after Easter.

I have a very good relationship with my local school, my daughter is in year 5, and my oldest one did too, plus all my older ones go there too. I often bake brownies, and just drop them into the office. I use the chocolate brownie mix from Costco, and everyone loves it. The school office is a place parents may ask about childcare, so it's worth keeping the office ladies sweet!! Also don't forget that often teachers need childcare too! I currently have the kids of one of their teachers, chair of the PTA, and another teacher lined up.

Find out when the new parents reception open evening/meeting is. The teachers may be able to discreetly pass your details on.

Good luck, and it will come.

Thanks, yes I'll pop back down the school thank you x

alex__17
22-03-2016, 02:36 PM
£2.29!!! Wow that's terrible, even with 3 funded children you wouldn't be at new min wage, and with what hard work this job can be at times that is far too low.

k1rstie
22-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks, yes I applied and got the grant successfully. I've just been on phone to my development officer to confirm the price i would get for funding £2.29 per hour for 3-4 funding what a joke

Did they say what the 2 year old rate was? £2.29 is terrible!

crumpet54
22-03-2016, 02:42 PM
£2.29!!! Wow that's terrible, even with 3 funded children you wouldn't be at new min wage, and with what hard work this job can be at times that is far too low.

Yep I've only got 2 spaces as I have my own daughter so I said to my development officer so I'll be earning 4.58 an hour she said yes that's right- would you like me to come and sign you up......

Eerrr no thanks lol

crumpet54
22-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Did they say what the 2 year old rate was? £2.29 is terrible!

£4 per hour

Mouse
22-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Yep I've only got 2 spaces as I have my own daughter so I said to my development officer so I'll be earning 4.58 an hour she said yes that's right- would you like me to come and sign you up......

Eerrr no thanks lol

Where on earth do all the 3 & 4 year olds go for their funded hours? Surely no one wants to take on for that little.

crumpet54
22-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Where on earth do all the 3 & 4 year olds go for their funded hours? Surely no one wants to take on for that little.

No idea..... it's ridiculous

watford wizz
22-03-2016, 04:07 PM
What about a "special" offer with a qualifying amount before they get the offer or an open day event.

Mouse
22-03-2016, 05:28 PM

Eerrr no thanks lol

No wonder she was quick to sign you up! Do you know if many childminders offer it?

But despite the ridiculously low amount, it may be something to consider. Earning £4.58 an hour for 2 children is rubbish, but it's better than nothing and might lead to more work, or at least get your foot in the door.

You could limit the hours you offer to say 3 per day and charge for lunch so you're not losing a huge amount over a day. It might make parents look again if they realise they could get 3 hours out of their day free with you.

mama2three
22-03-2016, 05:36 PM
But remember you wouldn't actually be earning £4.58 , you would have expenses to come off of that - especially when you're just starting out and are less likely to have stockpiled all the usual necessities You'd be lucky to ''earn'' £2 per child per hour.

crumpet54
22-03-2016, 05:55 PM
But remember you wouldn't actually be earning £4.58 , you would have expenses to come off of that - especially when you're just starting out and are less likely to have stockpiled all the usual necessities You'd be lucky to ''earn'' £2 per child per hour.

Exactly, i couldn't do it on principle, i think it's really demoralising. I've put some much into this business, my playroom and garden are really good, (sorry to sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet but I'm really proud of it, and have brilliant feedback)

Maybe it's just the time of year, i really don't know.
But considering its school holidays next week, I've not had any enquiries for it.

I said to my partner this morning I thought by now I'd be earning a decent wage by now!

Mouse
22-03-2016, 05:56 PM

But if that was only for 3 hours a day and an additional charge was made for lunch, it would be a limited amount that was lost. And if there's no other work coming in it could be better than nothing. If you got a child in for 8 hours, 3 hours funded at £2.29, 5 hours at £4, food at £3, that would give a total of almost £30 a day. If you charged £4 an hour for 8 hours it's only £32, so you're not actually losing much. Plus it would only be term time, so you'd get the full amount in the holidays. And it's only short term as the children will be off to school so you're not committed to it forever.

If it was the difference between attracting work or being in the position of not having any work all, I'd have thought it was worth losing just £2 a day.

crumpet54
22-03-2016, 05:56 PM
No wonder she was quick to sign you up! Do you know if many childminders offer it?

But despite the ridiculously low amount, it may be something to consider. Earning £4.58 an hour for 2 children is rubbish, but it's better than nothing and might lead to more work, or at least get your foot in the door.

You could limit the hours you offer to say 3 per day and charge for lunch so you're not losing a huge amount over a day. It might make parents look again if they realise they could get 3 hours out of their day free with you.

No i don't know any personally that offer it, but there must be some that do.

crumpet54
23-03-2016, 08:07 AM
But if that was only for 3 hours a day and an additional charge was made for lunch, it would be a limited amount that was lost. And if there's no other work coming in it could be better than nothing. If you got a child in for 8 hours, 3 hours funded at £2.29, 5 hours at £4, food at £3, that would give a total of almost £30 a day. If you charged £4 an hour for 8 hours it's only £32, so you're not actually losing much. Plus it would only be term time, so you'd get the full amount in the holidays. And it's only short term as the children will be off to school so you're not committed to it forever.

If it was the difference between attracting work or being in the position of not having any work all, I'd have thought it was worth losing just £2 a day.

Yes I see what you mean, it's something to consider, i don't provide lunch , and don't intend to, but I get what you are saying. Tbh I've not had one enquiry in 6 months in regards to the funding anyway. It was just another thought after chatting with the D.O.

I'm doing a baby sale boot fair type thing on Saturday so I'm going to wear my t-shirt, hand out flyers/business cards get chatting to potential families. Fingers crossed for me!

watford wizz
23-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Why not hand out a simple question air, to get e mail addresses, perhaps incentive win egg?? if the fill then in.

crumpet54
23-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Why not hand out a simple question air, to get e mail addresses, perhaps incentive win egg?? if the fill then in.

Yes good idea,

Hey I've just been notified by childcare.co.uk that I cant message any more parents for 24 hours lol that shows how many I'm messaging (but still getting no replies! )

FloraDora
24-03-2016, 12:21 AM
Ok...I have just read through this thread and I think you need to be looking for your unique selling point.

If nobody has enqired then you have to look at what you are saying ..because, It may sound harsh, but your profile on childcare.co.uk is not interesting parents!

My advise would be : look at your local competition I.e childminders and nurseries and market yourself....and think about what you could offer that would interest parents over them.

E.g. Flexibility
Forest school type activities
Specialism in something ...SEN for instance
Background, the unique impact that would have on children
Position, near nature reserve or fields for instance.
Willingness to venture furthur if nature isn't on your door step.
Pick up and drop offs to local school
Value for money, including trips/ food/ wipes/ puddle suits etc...
Availability of home....lots of parents want a home situation, not a confined to playroom situation..this they can get at a nursery.
Music
Your background and how that will impact on their child..I.e any childcare background is going to influence parents.

Costs, holiday etc..

It sounds that you now need to do an analysis of why you are not getting enquiries...l
Our local authority has just produced an analysis of how much, quality and league data a local school is and others...perhaps you could look at yours which shows gaps in types of childcare...and alter your offer to suit..

crumpet54
24-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Ok...I have just read through this thread and I think you need to be looking for your unique selling point.

If nobody has enqired then you have to look at what you are saying ..because, It may sound harsh, but your profile on childcare.co.uk is not interesting parents!

My advise would be : look at your local competition I.e childminders and nurseries and market yourself....and think about what you could offer that would interest parents over them.

E.g. Flexibility
Forest school type activities
Specialism in something ...SEN for instance
Background, the unique impact that would have on children
Position, near nature reserve or fields for instance.
Willingness to venture furthur if nature isn't on your door step.
Pick up and drop offs to local school
Value for money, including trips/ food/ wipes/ puddle suits etc...
Availability of home....lots of parents want a home situation, not a confined to playroom situation..this they can get at a nursery.
Music
Your background and how that will impact on their child..I.e any childcare background is going to influence parents.

Costs, holiday etc..

It sounds that you now need to do an analysis of why you are not getting enquiries...l
Our local authority has just produced an analysis of how much, quality and league data a local school is and others...perhaps you could look at yours which shows gaps in types of childcare...and alter your offer to suit..

Thank you flora dora, i think you are right, I'm going to sit down tonight once dd is in bed and look at what I can adapt, im going to take new photos of my playroom both tidy and cleared away and set up with activities, i really think that my room is my unique selling point, but I will also add that we use other areas of the house accordingly for quiet time, cooking, baking with the children etc and my experience and outings I offer,
Yesterday we spent a lot of time at a fantastic farm, which was wonderful so many learning opportunities.
im going to then ask my cm friends and mummy friends for honest feedback.

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions xxxx

crumpet54
28-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Update i have a viewing booked for 2mo! Mon -fri 8-5 18 month old
Yay

natlou82
28-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Perfect :-) hope it goes well for you x

crumpet54
28-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Perfect :-) hope it goes well for you x

Me 2, mum sounded on the ball, asked good questions , great feedback from my fb page, said she loved my space and the photos of the activities and experiences that I offer!
Fingers crossed for me xxx

singingcactus
28-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed for you xx

crumpet54
28-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed for you xx

Thanks, I've had 4 enquiries this afternoon /evening! Crazy how it changes isn't it

alex__17
29-03-2016, 07:41 AM
Meet all the enquiries, even if days or hours are not ideal they so often change or may be able to be flexible to fit in with you.
Always the way you go weeks without hearing anything then suddenly everyone needs a childminder!
Fingers crossed for you

crumpet54
29-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Meet all the enquiries, even if days or hours are not ideal they so often change or may be able to be flexible to fit in with you.
Always the way you go weeks without hearing anything then suddenly everyone needs a childminder!
Fingers crossed for you

Thanks, yes I definitely will, one is coming today for a viewing, and another is getting back to me today, the others are for July and Sept.

It is strange how it goes, i had started thinking about looking for jobs

Mouse
29-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Good luck with your visit today!

crumpet54
29-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Good luck with your visit today!

Thanks mouse!

crumpet54
30-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Update **
Visit went really really well, probably the best I've had!
-my daughter was good as gold (thank goodness! )
-the child fitted in soooooo well
-parents friendly and asked really good relevant questions etc
-they loved the playroom and experiences /activities and outings that I offer.
Left the playroom for a few minutes to discuss their thoughts etc and to see how the child was , well it went perfectly child was laughing and playing with my daughter and I. The parent's were so happy, said they were really pleased.
They want to come back fri for contract signing etc I'm emailing them the policies etc tonight
So fingers crossed it works out well and falls into place!

They did ask if the fees were negotiable -i said not usually BUT I'm thinking now I could have a bit of a play with numbers as it is a full time 5 full day space
What do you think?

Mouse
30-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Update **
Left the playroom for a few minutes to discuss their thoughts etc and to see how the child was , well it went perfectly child was laughing and playing with my daughter and I. The parent's were so happy, said they were really pleased.
They want to come back fri for contract signing etc I'm emailing them the policies etc tonight

They did ask if the fees were negotiable -i said not usually BUT I'm thinking now I could have a bit of a play with numbers as it is a full time 5 full day space
What do you think?

That's great news :clapping:

Do you want to reduce your fee? I have no problem at all with parents asking if the fee is negotiable, as long as they accept my 'no' answer! Sometimes when you get the perfect family you feel so happy about it that you think you'll happily take them on at a reduced rate. But at the end of the day this is your business and you've set your fees at a certain rate for a reason. What I would do is work out what the full fee would be, look at what the fee would be if you reduced the bill by 5% or by £x per day and see how much you'll be losing out on. It might only work out at a few pounds a day, but think of that per week or per month and think about what you could do with that money.

crumpet54
30-03-2016, 05:35 PM

Do you want to reduce your fee? I have no problem at all with parents asking if the fee is negotiable, as long as they accept my 'no' answer! Sometimes when you get the perfect family you feel so happy about it that you think you'll happily take them on at a reduced rate. But at the end of the day this is your business and you've set your fees at a certain rate for a reason. What I would do is work out what the full fee would be, look at what the fee would be if you reduced the bill by 5% or by £x per day and see how much you'll be losing out on. It might only work out at a few pounds a day, but think of that per week or per month and think about what you could do with that money.

Yes I totally get what you are saying,
I've got 4 options I've worked out and the difference is

Pressed send to early see above comment

crumpet54
30-03-2016, 05:38 PM

I've got 4 options I've worked out and the difference is 20, 30 40, or 50 (from the cheapest to the most expensive option if this makes sense, )
They may not even mention it again, I just wanted to be prepared in case they do.
For the sake of 20 , 30 or even 40 a month i could potentially loose a big sum if they decide to go elsewhere do you see what I mean? The last time I had a full time spaces enquiry was 6 months ago, i could be waiting another 6 months for another!

Sorry I'm waffling and tired I hope I make sense lol

Mouse
30-03-2016, 06:06 PM
I've got 4 options I've worked out and the difference is 20, 30 40, or 50 (from the cheapest to the most expensive option if this makes sense, )
They may not even mention it again, I just wanted to be prepared in case they do.
For the sake of 20 , 30 or even 40 a month i could potentially loose a big sum if they decide to go elsewhere do you see what I mean? The last time I had a full time spaces enquiry was 6 months ago, i could be waiting another 6 months for another!

Sorry I'm waffling and tired I hope I make sense lol

I can totally see what you're saying.

Now that you've looked at figures you're prepared if they do ask again - that's much better than being put on the spot! If they don't ask I wouldn't mention it, but if they do ask you could say that you don't normally offer a reduction, but as they are signing up and paying the deposit promptly you are happy to offer them a reduction of £20 per month.

crumpet54
30-03-2016, 07:39 PM
I can totally see what you're saying.

Now that you've looked at figures you're prepared if they do ask again - that's much better than being put on the spot! If they don't ask I wouldn't mention it, but if they do ask you could say that you don't normally offer a reduction, but as they are signing up and paying the deposit promptly you are happy to offer them a reduction of £20 per month.

Yep you are right mouse, im prepared if they do ask, and yes I won't mention it if they don't lol
They've just received my welcome pack and policies via email so fingers crossed, they have been on childcare.co.uk today though (I'm not stalking honest)

natlou82
30-03-2016, 08:07 PM
Glad it went well, fingers crossed for you. All I'll say is don't sell yourself short, if they really like you they will probably pay your full fee anyway. If you feel you want to offer a small discount then yes go ahead but definitely trust yourself and all the great things you have to offer :-)

crumpet54
30-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Glad it went well, fingers crossed for you. All I'll say is don't sell yourself short, if they really like you they will probably pay your full fee anyway. If you feel you want to offer a small discount then yes go ahead but definitely trust yourself and all the great things you have to offer :-)

Thanks natlou x

crumpet54
31-03-2016, 08:37 AM
Aaahhhhhh just had a quick look on childcare.co.uk and she's been on looking this morning! She's top of the list as most recent! Oh no

Mouse
31-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Aaahhhhhh just had a quick look on childcare.co.uk and she's been on looking this morning! She's top of the list as most recent! Oh no

That doesn't mean she's still looking.

She may have had notifications saying someone has looked at her profile, so she's logged on to see who. Or maybe other childminders have messaged her and she's logged on to message them back saying she's no longer interested as she's already found the perfect childminder :D

Don't read too much into it.

Simona
31-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Update **

What do you think?

Your answer could be that 'fees are reviewed each year...as per terms and conditions of our contract...and parents given adequate notice of any increase'
No where in any business fees and charges remain static...certainly not in childcare.

Watch this and you will know why....it mentions nurseries only...as per usual...but can easily be applied to cms!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zm-mYA6XpQ&app=desktop

I cannot understand parents who want to bargain/negotiate on fees...why?

crumpet54
01-04-2016, 07:24 AM
Your answer could be that 'fees are reviewed each year...as per terms and conditions of our contract...and parents given adequate notice of any increase'
No where in any business fees and charges remain static...certainly not in childcare.

Watch this and you will know why....it mentions nurseries only...as per usual...but can easily be applied to cms!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zm-mYA6XpQ&app=desktop

I cannot understand parents who want to bargain/negotiate on fees...why?

Yes I will take that on board Simona, they're suppose to be coming today for 2nd visit, Contracts etc but I've not heard from them to arrange times etc. Plus she's been online searching on childcare.co.uk

hectors house
01-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Our town has got a parents facebook page it may be worth seeing if your town (or others nearby) have one - on the parents page for our town someone generally asks once a week for recommendations for a childminder, our town has an Independent Childminders enquiry page so I always direct parents to that and then see their enquiries get circulated round by e-mail to everyone in our network.

Do you have NCT sales locally, I know at ours they won't let childminders in to hand out cards but there is nothing to stop you handing out leaflets or cards or just chatting to pregnant mums or mums/dads in the queue or leaving a leaflet on their windscreen - at least you know everyone who is attending has children so are your target audience, more chance of success than just putting leaflets through 100 houses on local housing estate just hoping they have kids.

Make sure you have a handful of cards on you at all times, I have handed out cards when requested at the park and even at the fields when walking my dogs.

Mouse
01-04-2016, 11:22 AM
r leaving a leaflet on their windscreen - at least you know everyone who is attending has children so are your target audience, more chance of success than just putting leaflets through 100 houses on local housing estate just hoping they have kids.

That's a really good idea! Target cars that have got car seats in them and leave a leaflet on their windscreen.

crumpet54
01-04-2016, 12:19 PM
That's a really good idea! Target cars that have got car seats in them and leave a leaflet on their windscreen.

Yes I've done that in the mother and baby car spaces in boots, asda and morrisons, i have my cards absolutely everywhere always to hand out.

crumpet54
01-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Our town has got a parents facebook page it may be worth seeing if your town (or others nearby) have one - on the parents page for our town someone generally asks once a week for recommendations for a childminder, our town has an Independent Childminders enquiry page so I always direct parents to that and then see their enquiries get circulated round by e-mail to everyone in our network.

Do you have NCT sales locally, I know at ours they won't let childminders in to hand out cards but there is nothing to stop you handing out leaflets or cards or just chatting to pregnant mums or mums/dads in the queue or leaving a leaflet on their windscreen - at least you know everyone who is attending has children so are your target audience, more chance of success than just putting leaflets through 100 houses on local housing estate just hoping they have kids.

Make sure you have a handful of cards on you at all times, I have handed out cards when requested at the park and even at the fields when walking my dogs.

Yep as I've said previously I'm on fb sharing lots, parents pages, baby/parents/child selling pages, community boards I share my advert/posts/business pages on over 25 pages on fb!

Yes I've been just last week to a baby sale handed out leaflets, wore my t shirt, told everyone etc

crumpet54
01-04-2016, 01:01 PM
So ..... I've emailed parent asking if she has had time to read through the paperwork and if there were any questions, did she still want to come for a 2nd viewing today (as arranged )
All very friendly not pushy etc- here is her reply

Hi, thank you for a message.
To be honest I didn' t read your polices yet. I am very busy at work and later on I am too tired, when Alicja going sleep I am going too. I am waiting for a weeked to sorted out all things.
I will be in touvh with you soon.
Thank you for your patient.

What do you think?
What should I reply?

k1rstie
01-04-2016, 01:14 PM
It could be that she wants to give herself enough time to actually sit and read them rather than skim through them.

I had a email from a mum recently, saying that she wanted to speak to me on the phone, but needed to wait until her partner was around to look after the baby, so that she could make the call.

This baby has started with me this week, so a mum saying they haven't had time to look at policies isn't necessarily a bad sign.

crumpet54
02-04-2016, 07:44 AM
It could be that she wants to give herself enough time to actually sit and read them rather than skim through them.

I had a email from a mum recently, saying that she wanted to speak to me on the phone, but needed to wait until her partner was around to look after the baby, so that she could make the call.

This baby has started with me this week, so a mum saying they haven't had time to look at policies isn't necessarily a bad sign.

Hope so xxx

crumpet54
02-04-2016, 10:03 AM
I did a big fb push this morning, got 5 new likes to my page and 3 enquiries. ....yay xx

crumpet54
03-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Update***
Parent had messaged me back saying she has read through my paperwork, and from meeting me feels that I would be best for looking after her baby... she trusts me and really liked what I had to offer.....
BUT she will be sending her baby to her mother in law for the next 3 months to save money as she cannot be eligible for tax credits etc. She said she understands that I may not have the space in 3 months time and she will contact me then.

I've then just had a notification from childcare.co.uk saying a parent you have views has updated their profile. ....yep it's the same parent wanting a nanny/childminders asap

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

alex__17
03-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Oh no how frustrating!! And so annoying, why do people not give the real reason, I would always rather be told why I wasn't picked than fed a story! Nice that she tried to spare your feelings but doesn't help you much when I bet all you want is some constructive feedback! Maybe now she's looking for a nanny she's realised she might not be looking for a childminder after all, at least she thought enough of you to get back to you and tell you she wasn't going to take the space, as so many just never respond.
So gutted for you, hope some of the other enquiries are more promising

crumpet54
03-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Oh no how frustrating!! And so annoying, why do people not give the real reason, I would always rather be told why I wasn't picked than fed a story! Nice that she tried to spare your feelings but doesn't help you much when I bet all you want is some constructive feedback! Maybe now she's looking for a nanny she's realised she might not be looking for a childminder after all, at least she thought enough of you to get back to you and tell you she wasn't going to take the space, as so many just never respond.
So gutted for you, hope some of the other enquiries are more promising

I know it's so hard and frustrating, I've had 4 enquiries in the last 2 days and not one has come of anything. ... people don't seem to know what they want or they're making enquiries for July 2017!! (I've had 2 recently asking do i have a space July 17, for goodness sake , beyond frustrating at the moment really seriously thinking about looking elsewhere for a job, as much as I don't want to ,, hope and wishful thinking is not going to pay bills xxx

Minstrel
03-04-2016, 08:19 PM
I'm so disappointed for you crumpet. I really hope things pick up for you. :cheerleader:

crumpet54
03-04-2016, 08:37 PM
I'm so disappointed for you crumpet. I really hope things pick up for you. :cheerleader:

Thanks minstrel xx

crumpet54
11-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Well just had feedback from a enquiry that visited last week, went very well, they've just emailed to say they are choosing a nursery......

Oh my goodness I cannot actually bear much more ! !

crumpet54
11-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Well just had feedback from a enquiry that visited last week, went very well, they've just emailed to say they are choosing a nursery......

Oh my goodness I cannot actually bear much more ! !

Edited to add-
They've just sent another email saying that the reason is because I don't provide meals they have chosen a nursery and that they loved my setting but that was what put them off

Minstrel
11-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Is that something you would consider changing?

Mouse
11-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Edited to add-
They've just sent another email saying that the reason is because I don't provide meals they have chosen a nursery and that they loved my setting but that was what put them off

That's a shame.

I provide lunch and snacks. If parents want their child to have breakfast they either provide it or pay extra. I don't provide an evening meal, but then none of the children are here particularly late.

Is there a reason you've decided not to provide meals?

crumpet54
11-04-2016, 06:33 PM
I provide breakfast and snacks, but I really don't want to provide main meals for a variety of reasons, it's just not for me and my setting.

Mouse
11-04-2016, 06:38 PM
I provide breakfast and snacks, but I really don't want to provide main meals for a variety of reasons, it's just not for me and my setting.

That's fair enough.

I think a lot of parents do expect lunch to be provided in an early years setting (either included in fee or paid for separately) so it will put some off. Hopefully you'll soon find the perfect family who are quite happy to send a packed lunch :thumbsup:

crumpet54
11-04-2016, 08:17 PM
That's fair enough.

I think a lot of parents do expect lunch to be provided in an early years setting (either included in fee or paid for separately) so it will put some off. Hopefully you'll soon find the perfect family who are quite happy to send a packed lunch :thumbsup:

The thing is when I was waiting to be registered and when I was on the childminding course via LA absolutely everyone said don't do food, make them provide a lunch...
Of all the cms I have spoke to i know only a couple that provide a cooked meal.

The mindees mum I have at the moment has no problem with bringing in food, it's not a problem at all.

It's just getting too hard , I've never felt so disheartenend in all my working life, im starting to think is it really for me?? Even my registration process was a total nightmare, was it all a sign ??

Sorry for moaning

Mouse
11-04-2016, 08:32 PM
The thing is when I was waiting to be registered and when I was on the childminding course via LA absolutely everyone said don't do food, make them provide a lunch...
Of all the cms I have spoke to i know only a couple that provide a cooked meal.

That does surprise me. The majority of cms here provide lunch so I guess it varies from area to area.

When I started out I had young children of my own. I was making lunch for them anyway so it seemed natural that I would make it for the other children. I don't cook a full meal at lunch time. We have something like sandwiches, pasta, jacket potatoes or something on toast - very quick and easy.

I can understand how disheartening this must be for you. As I've said before, it took me a very long time to get started and I did wonder whether it would ever happen.

crumpet54
12-04-2016, 07:22 AM
That does surprise me. The majority of cms here provide lunch so I guess it varies from area to area.

When I started out I had young children of my own. I was making lunch for them anyway so it seemed natural that I would make it for the other children. I don't cook a full meal at lunch time. We have something like sandwiches, pasta, jacket potatoes or something on toast - very quick and easy.

I can understand how disheartening this must be for you. As I've said before, it took me a very long time to get started and I did wonder whether it would ever happen.
How long did it take you mouse, im coming into my 7th month!

Yes I see what you mean, i make my own daughter a lunch obviously, i just don't want to offer meals for many reasons.
This was the only family that have mentioned the meals.

I'm doing the rounds again today, leaflet drops where I can, i visited a new factory this week that has just opened on a development site and asked them to put a leaflet up in their staff room, thinking that was a good selling point being close to their work for easy drop off and collection.

so hopefully something will come soon.

mumofone
12-04-2016, 10:09 AM
How long did it take you mouse, im coming into my 7th month! Yes I see what you mean, i make my own daughter a lunch obviously, i just don't want to offer meals for many reasons. This was the only family that have mentioned the meals. I'm doing the rounds again today, leaflet drops where I can, i visited a new factory this week that has just opened on a development site and asked them to put a leaflet up in their staff room, thinking that was a good selling point being close to their work for easy drop off and collection. so hopefully something will come soon.

Tell me to by££RR off if you like crumpet but can I ask why you don't want to provide meals exactly? It seems such a shame that you may not be getting customers because of this. At the simplest level, You just need a loaf of bread in the freezer and a tin of beans and charge parents for it! :-)

alex__17
12-04-2016, 01:00 PM
I provide meals and parents pick me because of that, especially ones that work more of the week than not, it's another thing to have to think of providing up to 3 meals and 2 snacks a day in advance. When I looked for a cm for my own son before I became a cm myself, I also only really looked at cm that provided food for this reason, whether included in the price or on top of fees just because when I was up through the night with my own baby then having to work all day commuting up and back from London, the last thing I could think about was getting a load of food ready for the next day
Perhaps offer cold lunch like sandwiches, or pasta is so easy, light tea like beans on toast and kids eat their main meal at home with parents? Presumably you make yourself something like a sarnie for lunch wouldn't be too much to make them one too...may mean you are picked over someone that doesn't provide food...
I saw several cm when I looked for my son and those that gave the option of food at extra cost, almost all kids ate the cm food rather than send their own, and all the cm I know provide food and parents choose that rather than send in
Could be worth considering, shame the parent that picked elsewhere didn't give you the chance to offer food before choosing somewhere else!

loocyloo
12-04-2016, 01:26 PM
I provide all meals. I find it easier as everyone has the same thing, I don't need to store meals or worry about reheating etc. Plus I don't need to carry lots of lunch boxes if we go out!
The only time I don't is for new baby starters that are being weaned, but usually within a few weeks I then 'take over' whilst at my house (and have been known to send some home!)

crumpet54
12-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Tell me to by££RR off if you like crumpet but can I ask why you don't want to provide meals exactly? It seems such a shame that you may not be getting customers because of this. At the simplest level, You just need a loaf of bread in the freezer and a tin of beans and charge parents for it! :-)

Yes I will tell you to mind your own business! Don't be so patronising.... it's only a loaf of bread and tin of beans, don't be so damm rude!

I've bitten my tongue many a day on here with your endless requests and guidance needed -that you don't seem to take on board or even at times respond to help given!

Goodbye I am off

mumofone
12-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Yes I will tell you to mind your own business! Don't be so patronising.... it's only a loaf of bread and tin of beans, don't be so damm rude! I've bitten my tongue many a day on here with your endless requests and guidance needed -that you don't seem to take on board or even at times respond to help given! Goodbye I am off

Err...I was trying to help you!!!

I'm sorry it's such a sensitive topic for you I shouldn't have bothered to help you!

I don't understand the secrecy behind your reason for not providing meals but hey ho, your business, your decision.

Mouse
12-04-2016, 06:46 PM
How long did it take you mouse, im coming into my 7th month!

It took me me a good 6 months to get my first mindee. Even then it wasn't someone local, but someone who travelled past my house on their way to work. And it was an early start - 6.30am! I wouldn't go back to starting that early again, but in the beginning I had to take what I could get!

Simona
13-04-2016, 10:08 AM

Crumpet...this is probably going to be something you hear more and more
There are many settings thinking about what they need to tweak when it comes to services offered...if funding does not cover the expenses they will have no choice.

You are not alone...I am sure hot meals will be a service everyone will either not provide ...charge for or ask parents to provide themselves

Keep tuned ...with regards to finding children...look into your LA and look at the FIS...I think FIS is still the best for finding local customers and it is their duty

Have you thought about going into schools and introducing yourself? many are linking up with Cms due to future policies

Do you know friendly preschools or day nurseries close to you with whom you could work with...or other Cms you can rely on to share vacancies?

I am sure you have tried everything....whatever you do will need to suit your practice

Good luck to you