PDA

View Full Version : Written statement on what should I do if I receive complaints.

glow79
16-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Hi, I'm an In home childcarer and I have an inspection coming up. It's just a half hour meeting to check I'm meeting the requirements with paper work etc. She wants to see a written statement about what I would do if I received any complaints. Can someone please point me to some information about this so I can write this statement? In the general Ofsted childminder information, it says this statement is not required for In home childcarers, so I've never written one. I'm not sure what I'd do in the event of receiving a complaint, other than do whatever Ofsted required me to do once it arose! I only work with the kids for a few hours a week, and they're friends, so I doubt I'll be receiving any complaint, but I'd hate to get in hot water over this! Thanks :)

sarah707
16-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Welcome!

It is a requirement to have a safeguarding and a complaints policy in writing.

You will find information about complaints here - Sarahs complaints form (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/complaintsformsarah.html) :D

k1rstie
16-03-2016, 10:04 PM
It would be a good idea to think about what you would do in the event of a complaint. Complaints can be due to so many reasons.

As has been discussed on the forum, ( frequently ), parent/child carer relationships can break down very quickly. Your clients may be your friends now, but have an accident /incident/allegation or even a financial dispute, and your friendship may come under strain.

Simona
20-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Hi, I'm an In home childcarer and I have an inspection coming up. It's just a half hour meeting to check I'm meeting the requirements with paper work etc. She wants to see a written statement about what I would do if I received any complaints. Can someone please point me to some information about this so I can write this statement? In the general Ofsted childminder information, it says this statement is not required for In home childcarers, so I've never written one. I'm not sure what I'd do in the event of receiving a complaint, other than do whatever Ofsted required me to do once it arose! I only work with the kids for a few hours a week, and they're friends, so I doubt I'll be receiving any complaint, but I'd hate to get in hot water over this! Thanks :)

It will also depend whether it is a 'complaint'...or are parents just making a suggestion for improving your practice?...for instance parents may suggest you change the food you give children...or add this or take that away...as examples.
You can cover these in your policy and be clear how parents can approach you to improve practice and 'working in partnership'

The EYFS is very clear we need a complaints policy and a complaints log to record them.
It may be useful to state in your policy 'how' you would resolve a complaint...how long it would take...give copies of the log to the parents and keep one in your EYFS portfolio

If you receive a complaint 'against you' and it is around Safeguarding you need to consult the DfE Guidance 'Working together to safeguard children' 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/working-together-to-safeguard-children--2

also follow your LA LSCB guidance on how to seek support and what to expect from them should an allegation be made against you or a member of your family

Good luck