PDA

View Full Version : OBC North West meeting 12.3.16

sarah707
13-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Feedback from Ofsted Big Conversation north west open meeting – 12th March 2016

Over 400 delegates including a lot of representatives from Ofsted met in Blackburn on Saturday.

I hope all those who attended felt it was an excellent way to spend their morning, talking to Ofsted.

Jane Jones (National Lead for Mathematics, Ofsted) gave a very interesting and though provoking maths presentation and Gill Jones (Deputy Director of Early Education at Ofsted) and her colleagues answered our questions.

The maths presentation was very well received – it was interesting to note the things inspectors are looking for during inspection explained by someone who trains inspectors in maths!

Key points from the presentation include –

• Remember maths is everywhere and can be promoted at all times during the day – we need to find it, draw it out and make the most of it! We are seeing lots of inspection reports that talk about ‘missed opportunities’ to include maths in daily routines such as snack preparation or hand washing – these are the times inspectors are told to watch us and check that we are making the most of them!

• Research shows the importance of adult-led activities and promoting children’s home learning – we need to spot missed opportunities to capitalise on maths learning during joint observations (when one practitioner observes another) and think about how we can improve our maths teaching.

• There is an inter-relationship between maths and the prime areas of learning which can be exploited throughout our activities with the children. For example, we can provide books which support literacy - and include maths concepts such as time, distance, shapes etc.

• Ofsted remind us that they do not have a preferred teaching style – we need to use whatever planning we find best. What they are checking during inspection is how well we support children’s learning and help them to make progress from their starting points. It is this progress that we need to be able to show - for all children across all areas of learning including the specific areas.

• Look at every part of your setting and think about how you might enhance maths provision – inside and in the garden. Don’t just focus on displayed numbers – there are so many more maths elements you can include. Ensure record keeping resources are always available as well – demonstrate to children how they can record what they are doing and provide pads, pencils etc in the house and garden for independent use.

• Exploit child initiated activities by playing alongside the children and asking open questions which include maths concepts and maths language. Make sure you know the correct terminology yourself - Jane had a square and tipped it to one side – ‘what is it?’ she asked. A lot of the delegates said ‘diamond’ – ‘no’ said Jane ‘there is no such mathematical shape as a diamond – it is still a square’ – everyone laughed and she made her point!

Jane suggested we look at the nrich website for further inspiration - https://nrich.maths.org/early-years.

I was busy with the microphone during the Q and A so thank you to my colleague Saira Horner for taking the following notes which she has shared with me -

Re. childminders and cohort tracking

Sarah Neville asked Gill Jones (Deputy Direction of Early Education at Ofsted) directly if she could confirm that childminders are not required to complete cohort tracking.

Gill Jones confirmed that cohort tracking was not expected from childminders though it was expected that childminders should know the children's starting points and be aware of their progress. She felt that cohort tracking was more relevant for larger settings with large numbers of children and staff who were sharing the care/education of those children. In a childminding setting there are smaller numbers of children and greater continuity - by knowing starting points and tracking progress we will be more aware of where all children are.

Note from Sarah – I have talked to Gill about this in detail and she says that all inspectors have been told during training that cohort tracking is not relevant to childminders. If you are asked about cohort tracking during your inspection, explain why you track each child individually, talk about the progress they are making from their starting points and challenge the inspector to explain why it is relevant.

Re. length of re-inspection following "requires improvement" grading

Ofsted were asked why there was still a discrepancy in the length of time passing before group settings and childminders were re-inspected following a "requires improvement" grading. Childminders must wait until the next inspection cycle but group settings are re-inspected within 6 months.

Gill Jones acknowledged that there was an un-level playing field with regard to the re-inspection of childminders. She explained that Ofsted have finite resources and as there have been budget cuts they need to utilise their resources so that they impact on the greatest number of children.
Ofsted want to re-inspect quickly but they are not able to during this inspection cycle - they are currently working with the Department of Education and are trying to prioritise all inspections where settings are not graded at good or above.

... in summary - they're aware of the problem and are working on it but there are no funds.

The next Ofsted Big Conversation north west open meeting is in October when the Ofsted National Lead for Literacy will give us a presentation.

I hope to meet lots of colleagues there! :D

mumofone
13-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Feedback from Ofsted Big Conversation north west open meeting – 12th March 2016 Over 400 delegates including a lot of representatives from Ofsted met in Blackburn on Saturday. I hope all those who attended felt it was an excellent way to spend their morning, talking to Ofsted. Jane Jones (National Lead for Mathematics, Ofsted) gave a very interesting and though provoking maths presentation and Gill Jones (Deputy Director of Early Education at Ofsted) and her colleagues answered our questions. The maths presentation was very well received – it was interesting to note the things inspectors are looking for during inspection explained by someone who trains inspectors in maths! Key points from the presentation include – • Remember maths is everywhere and can be promoted at all times during the day – we need to find it, draw it out and make the most of it! We are seeing lots of inspection reports that talk about ‘missed opportunities’ to include maths in daily routines such as snack preparation or hand washing – these are the times inspectors are told to watch us and check that we are making the most of them! • Research shows the importance of adult-led activities and promoting children’s home learning – we need to spot missed opportunities to capitalise on maths learning during joint observations (when one practitioner observes another) and think about how we can improve our maths teaching. • There is an inter-relationship between maths and the prime areas of learning which can be exploited throughout our activities with the children. For example, we can provide books which support literacy - and include maths concepts such as time, distance, shapes etc. • Ofsted remind us that they do not have a preferred teaching style – we need to use whatever planning we find best. What they are checking during inspection is how well we support children’s learning and help them to make progress from their starting points. It is this progress that we need to be able to show - for all children across all areas of learning including the specific areas. • Look at every part of your setting and think about how you might enhance maths provision – inside and in the garden. Don’t just focus on displayed numbers – there are so many more maths elements you can include. Ensure record keeping resources are always available as well – demonstrate to children how they can record what they are doing and provide pads, pencils etc in the house and garden for independent use. • Exploit child initiated activities by playing alongside the children and asking open questions which include maths concepts and maths language. Make sure you know the correct terminology yourself - Jane had a square and tipped it to one side – ‘what is it?’ she asked. A lot of the delegates said ‘diamond’ – ‘no’ said Jane ‘there is no such mathematical shape as a diamond – it is still a square’ – everyone laughed and she made her point! Jane suggested we look at the nrich website for further inspiration - https://nrich.maths.org/early-years. I was busy with the microphone during the Q and A so thank you to my colleague Saira Horner for taking the following notes which she has shared with me - Re. childminders and cohort tracking Sarah Neville asked Gill Jones (Deputy Direction of Early Education at Ofsted) directly if she could confirm that childminders are not required to complete cohort tracking. Gill Jones confirmed that cohort tracking was not expected from childminders though it was expected that childminders should know the children's starting points and be aware of their progress. She felt that cohort tracking was more relevant for larger settings with large numbers of children and staff who were sharing the care/education of those children. In a childminding setting there are smaller numbers of children and greater continuity - by knowing starting points and tracking progress we will be more aware of where all children are. Note from Sarah – I have talked to Gill about this in detail and she says that all inspectors have been told during training that cohort tracking is not relevant to childminders. If you are asked about cohort tracking during your inspection, explain why you track each child individually, talk about the progress they are making from their starting points and challenge the inspector to explain why it is relevant. Re. length of re-inspection following "requires improvement" grading Ofsted were asked why there was still a discrepancy in the length of time passing before group settings and childminders were re-inspected following a "requires improvement" grading. Childminders must wait until the next inspection cycle but group settings are re-inspected within 6 months. Gill Jones acknowledged that there was an un-level playing field with regard to the re-inspection of childminders. She explained that Ofsted have finite resources and as there have been budget cuts they need to utilise their resources so that they impact on the greatest number of children. Ofsted want to re-inspect quickly but they are not able to during this inspection cycle - they are currently working with the Department of Education and are trying to prioritise all inspections where settings are not graded at good or above. ... in summary - they're aware of the problem and are working on it but there are no funds. The next Ofsted Big Conversation north west open meeting is in October when the Ofsted National Lead for Literacy will give us a presentation. I hope to meet lots of colleagues there! :D

Thanks sarah, great feedback thank you so much.

Just one small question ...how do you promote maths during hand washing exactly?!

mumofone
13-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Feedback from Ofsted Big Conversation north west open meeting – 12th March 2016 Over 400 delegates including a lot of representatives from Ofsted met in Blackburn on Saturday. I hope all those who attended felt it was an excellent way to spend their morning, talking to Ofsted. Jane Jones (National Lead for Mathematics, Ofsted) gave a very interesting and though provoking maths presentation and Gill Jones (Deputy Director of Early Education at Ofsted) and her colleagues answered our questions. The maths presentation was very well received – it was interesting to note the things inspectors are looking for during inspection explained by someone who trains inspectors in maths! Key points from the presentation include – • Remember maths is everywhere and can be promoted at all times during the day – we need to find it, draw it out and make the most of it! We are seeing lots of inspection reports that talk about ‘missed opportunities’ to include maths in daily routines such as snack preparation or hand washing – these are the times inspectors are told to watch us and check that we are making the most of them! • Research shows the importance of adult-led activities and promoting children’s home learning – we need to spot missed opportunities to capitalise on maths learning during joint observations (when one practitioner observes another) and think about how we can improve our maths teaching. • There is an inter-relationship between maths and the prime areas of learning which can be exploited throughout our activities with the children. For example, we can provide books which support literacy - and include maths concepts such as time, distance, shapes etc. • Ofsted remind us that they do not have a preferred teaching style – we need to use whatever planning we find best. What they are checking during inspection is how well we support children’s learning and help them to make progress from their starting points. It is this progress that we need to be able to show - for all children across all areas of learning including the specific areas. • Look at every part of your setting and think about how you might enhance maths provision – inside and in the garden. Don’t just focus on displayed numbers – there are so many more maths elements you can include. Ensure record keeping resources are always available as well – demonstrate to children how they can record what they are doing and provide pads, pencils etc in the house and garden for independent use. • Exploit child initiated activities by playing alongside the children and asking open questions which include maths concepts and maths language. Make sure you know the correct terminology yourself - Jane had a square and tipped it to one side – ‘what is it?’ she asked. A lot of the delegates said ‘diamond’ – ‘no’ said Jane ‘there is no such mathematical shape as a diamond – it is still a square’ – everyone laughed and she made her point! Jane suggested we look at the nrich website for further inspiration - https://nrich.maths.org/early-years. I was busy with the microphone during the Q and A so thank you to my colleague Saira Horner for taking the following notes which she has shared with me - Re. childminders and cohort tracking Sarah Neville asked Gill Jones (Deputy Direction of Early Education at Ofsted) directly if she could confirm that childminders are not required to complete cohort tracking. Gill Jones confirmed that cohort tracking was not expected from childminders though it was expected that childminders should know the children's starting points and be aware of their progress. She felt that cohort tracking was more relevant for larger settings with large numbers of children and staff who were sharing the care/education of those children. In a childminding setting there are smaller numbers of children and greater continuity - by knowing starting points and tracking progress we will be more aware of where all children are. Note from Sarah – I have talked to Gill about this in detail and she says that all inspectors have been told during training that cohort tracking is not relevant to childminders. If you are asked about cohort tracking during your inspection, explain why you track each child individually, talk about the progress they are making from their starting points and challenge the inspector to explain why it is relevant. Re. length of re-inspection following "requires improvement" grading Ofsted were asked why there was still a discrepancy in the length of time passing before group settings and childminders were re-inspected following a "requires improvement" grading. Childminders must wait until the next inspection cycle but group settings are re-inspected within 6 months. Gill Jones acknowledged that there was an un-level playing field with regard to the re-inspection of childminders. She explained that Ofsted have finite resources and as there have been budget cuts they need to utilise their resources so that they impact on the greatest number of children. Ofsted want to re-inspect quickly but they are not able to during this inspection cycle - they are currently working with the Department of Education and are trying to prioritise all inspections where settings are not graded at good or above. ... in summary - they're aware of the problem and are working on it but there are no funds. The next Ofsted Big Conversation north west open meeting is in October when the Ofsted National Lead for Literacy will give us a presentation. I hope to meet lots of colleagues there! :D

Oh and I would have said diamond too....oops!! ;-)

sarah707
13-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks sarah, great feedback thank you so much.

Just one small question ...how do you promote maths during hand washing exactly?!

That was just an example but you could... talk about time taken to wash, wash fingers individually and count them, compare your hands by size and shape... We make up lots of silly stories about bugs and we were talking last night about how we might include maths in those.

It is tricky because we must be careful not to focus on maths to the exclusion of other equally important teaching and learning opportunities... hence the reminder that it is cross curricular x

k1rstie
13-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Mathematical language need not be too complicated.
During my recent inspection with one 11 month old, we were playing with and exploring a range of balls. It was very simple stuff, 'look a big ball and a small ball, this one is bigger, this one smaller, they are round' , 'how may?, one, two, three....'

BallyH
13-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Thank you Sarah for attending and posting. Very informative.

During my recent inspection, the inspector was very close and quiet as she observed the children having their snack (she didn't hang around for lunchtime). They had a whole slice of bread toasted amongst fruit etc. We done the shapes, similiarities and counting individual fruits but when it came to the toast she seemed to stand even closer to the table. After they spent ages buttering their slices then we starting talking about shapes and quantity. 'If you cut it down the middle how many slices have you?' 'if you cut those slices down the middle how many pieces have you' etc and on and on. Afterwards she said it was a good learning opportunity but next time could I introduce 'halves and quarters please'. So yes, every available opportunity to extend their maths learning but also to introduce new words and extend their learning that way.

Maza
13-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks Sarah, very useful and demystifies (sp?) a lot. All very sensible recommendations - a relief to know that they do know (well, at least this lady) what is practical in our setting.

I remember a childminder on here not so long ago did get questioned about the cohorts. I'm glad this has been discussed and clarified.

Tulip
13-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Thanks for attending and for the feedback sarah, very useful

FloraDora
13-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Thank you, very good feedback Sarah.
We have now been invited to our Midlands one as it apparently is finally up and running and not on a Saturday!

I totally understand about the cohort but as a anecdotal point after I had been childminding about 6 months, I reviewed the progress of all the children in a holiday, as a group on one data analyses sitting and noticed that their next steps were all predominantly in the maths area. When I thought about my learning environment, passion for books and the children's own interests I realised that my practise needed to be re thought in weighting of focus. As I played with the children I naturally encouraged communication and literacy and with more thought I encouraged maths. So I read maths for the whole of the holiday, became fascinated by, as you say it actually can be incorporated into all areas ....and I was on my way. I now make sure I have an even focus. That was through a cohort observation though, so it does have its uses for us sometimes.

Hand washing maths? On the back of my downstairs toilet door I have photos of the children washing their hands which we have ordered, 1st 2nd 3rd etc... It prompts the children and I to use this vocabulary as we wash our hands.
Also time - " you are taking too long" You weren't in the toilet long enough to wash your hands!!" " how many pieces of toilet paper do you need to use?!"

mumofone
13-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Thank you Sarah for attending and posting. Very informative. During my recent inspection, the inspector was very close and quiet as she observed the children having their snack (she didn't hang around for lunchtime). They had a whole slice of bread toasted amongst fruit etc. We done the shapes, similiarities and counting individual fruits but when it came to the toast she seemed to stand even closer to the table. After they spent ages buttering their slices then we starting talking about shapes and quantity. 'If you cut it down the middle how many slices have you?' 'if you cut those slices down the middle how many pieces have you' etc and on and on. Afterwards she said it was a good learning opportunity but next time could I introduce 'halves and quarters please'. So yes, every available opportunity to extend their maths learning but also to introduce new words and extend their learning that way.

Oh goodness, I get the need to teach maths but at the same time do get annoyed that snack time can't simply mean refuelling and enjoying the snack!!! ;-)

mumofone
13-03-2016, 09:37 PM
That was just an example but you could... talk about time taken to wash, wash fingers individually and count them, compare your hands by size and shape... We make up lots of silly stories about bugs and we were talking last night about how we might include maths in those. It is tricky because we must be careful not to focus on maths to the exclusion of other equally important teaching and learning opportunities... hence the reminder that it is cross curricular x

Thanks sarah :-) x

Maza
13-03-2016, 09:50 PM
Oh goodness, I get the need to teach maths but at the same time do get annoyed that snack time can't simply mean refuelling and enjoying the snack!!! ;-)

I know what you mean, but it really is vital that we introduce/reinforce vocab and concepts through every day real life experiences. Otherwise, Maths just becomes something that you do when you are time tabled to do it in a lesson at a table, and then negative attitudes set in as pupils can't see the relevance of it, or rely on learning things parrot fashion and not being able to apply it in real life. It takes seconds to just throw in a mathematical word, just like you would say 'what do you say?' to a child who you are teaching to say 'thank you'. This means that by the time they do come to learn about fractions (or whatever) in the formal sense, they will find it easier because you have already laid the foundations with concrete examples.

FloraDora
13-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Maza is spot on,

I find it second nature now to find literacy and maths / learning opportunities in everything after 40 years of being an educator. But then my own lads are educationally successful in a sense of degrees etc ...and life skills and happiness and the children I care for have that same experience from me.
I really do not see anything wrong with finding learning opportunities in life. If it's fun and they learn, then you are on a winner surely.
The skill is finding those opportunities and seeing them as automatic and part of life.
In my previous life I met too many children who were not given any of this. They came to school, went home and were not talked to, just listened to CBeebies and videos, were well loved and cared for but not 'educated'...they were given books for birthdays but never read to, their life opportunities were significantly lowered.

Everything we do has a learning opportunity.

Mouse
14-03-2016, 10:07 AM

I feel the same about outdoor play. Why does it always have to be a big learning opportunity? Why can't the kids just go out and run round to burn off some energy?

Through the better weather we spend a lot of time outside and the learning is just an extension of what we do indoors. When the weather's bad though the children might only get outside for 15 minutes at a time to run around. They just want to tear up and down the garden on bikes, but I always feel I should be counting and timing and pointing out sounds and shapes and clouds and shadows. All I want to do is let them run and ride without any input from me!

Mouse
14-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Although the maths I have no problem incorporating in everything we do. I'm a maths geek so it comes naturally!

FussyElmo
14-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Thanks for sharing the feedback Sarah :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
14-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Thank you Sarah for your very detailed feedback.

On question how come you get to have a meeting on a Sat for so many with a fantastic presentation when in London we have a very small and exclusive meeting that isn't promoted and is held at the most difficult time for most childminders and no presentations that are so helpful!?

sarah707
14-03-2016, 09:23 PM

On question how come you get to have a meeting on a Sat for so many with a fantastic presentation when in London we have a very small and exclusive meeting that isn't promoted and is held at the most difficult time for most childminders and no presentations that are so helpful!?

From the very beginning all the members of the steering group have been incredibly pro-childminders being involved.

They have made sure meetings are on days when I can attend and they have always asked me how they can best accommodate childminders.

If for any reason I haven't been able to attend they have taken childminder questions for me and made sure our voice has been heard.

We are very lucky up here - we have brilliant engagement with Ofsted as well :D

Simona
15-03-2016, 10:04 AM

You were at the last London OBC RS...you had the opportunity to ask about the meetings which you feel are 'exclusive and not well represented' and on the wrong day at the wrong time

I hope you will raise this question next time to the London OBC organisers and not here where no one can do anything about it
Have you also asked Pacey to attend the London OBC if you feel not well represented? my association attends all the meetings

I also think you need an update on the representation which you feel is unhelpful...maybe you could volunteer to represent Cms.

It is not going to help the situation which you have complained about a lot by commenting here and not being pro-active

Please do something positive about it when others are trying on cms' behalf ...please remember this is also a public forum

While I appreciate your frustration please remember that London OBC... as well as the other 6 areas ...have made a good job of the opportunity and we all have an excellent engagement with Ofsted and the results have been well documented.

We need positivity not criticism and ...as I said before... well done to all those cms who have given their free time in this issue.

Simona
15-03-2016, 11:51 AM
At this very moment all the OBC chairs are meeting in London...they will be representatives from all the 7 OBC areas...London OBC has 2 chairs ...one being June O'Sullivan herself.

The last London OBC was in January 2016 at Ofsted HQ in London.
Here is the feedback from June who puts the minutes in her 'official' blog after each meeting and it is shared widely.

https://www.leyf.org.uk/blog/london-ofsted-big-conversation/

The very 1st meeting of London OBC was in 2014...we have come a long way since then
Here is the feedback which is also on the OBC website for those who wish to keep informed on other areas' meetings.
On that 1st meeting several questions were put about cms' issues

The #OfstedBigconversation (http://linkis.com/co.uk/pS55O)

London OBC covers most LAs...I believe there are 39 in London... so it is a huge area
Meetings are open to all cms who wish to attend and put questions to Ofsted.
Anyone not able to attend can always contact the chairs and ask for questions to be put on Cms' behalf.

I am sure the feedback from the chairs will be available in due course
I would recommend anyone wishing to keep updated to subscribe to June's blog.

BallyH
15-03-2016, 06:57 PM
At this very moment all the OBC chairs are meeting in London...they will be representatives from all the 7 OBC areas...London OBC has 2 chairs ...one being June O'Sullivan herself.

Here is the feedback from June who puts the minutes in her 'official' blog after each meeting and it is shared widely.

The very 1st meeting of London OBC was in 2014...we have come a long way since then
Here is the feedback which is also on the OBC website for those who wish to keep informed on other areas' meetings.

London OBC covers most LAs...I believe there are 39 in London... so it is a huge area
Anyone not able to attend can always contact the chairs and ask for questions to be put on Cms' behalf.

Thank you Simona.

rickysmiths
16-03-2016, 04:07 PM
You were at the last London OBC RS...you had the opportunity to ask about the meetings which you feel are 'exclusive and not well represented' and on the wrong day at the wrong time

Yes I was and Simona I have raised the Time and Day of the meetings and asked for more appropriate times for childminders at EVERY meeting I have attended. Maybe you just didn't hear me ask? You were at the meetings and at ones I haven't been able to get to because they are during a week day. have you as a childminder, ever asked on our behalf for them to be held at a more appropriate time? That would be a no wouldn't it!

I hope you will raise this question next time to the London OBC organisers and not here where no one can do anything about it
Have you also asked Pacey to attend the London OBC if you feel not well represented? my association attends all the meetings

You keep banging on about Pacey not being there, you were a member why don't you ask them? Yes I know PLA attend all the meetings and they also represent Childminders and as I understand it Neil does actually talk to Pacey?

I also think you need an update on the representation which you feel is unhelpful...maybe you could volunteer to represent Cms.

I did Volunteer to go on the Steering committee but was never contacted about it possibly because they know all the meetings are during the working day and they won't budge on that they knew as a full time working cm I would have difficulty attending? You would know that because you are on the Steering Committee I understand? But then I understand you haven't worked anything full time as a cm for sometime, if at all now, and have the time during the working week to go to all the meetings and Conferences you feel like going to, unlike working cms.

It is not going to help the situation which you have complained about a lot by commenting here and not being pro-active

??????? It is hard to be pro active when they seem to refuse to do what they do in Sarah's area and have some meetings at childminder friendly times. I didn't hear you speak out in support of that at the last meeting when I brought up the suggestion? I do try to go to the meetings as often as I can.

Please do something positive about it when others are trying on cms' behalf ...please remember this is also a public forum

I do realise this is a public Forum. I haven't said anything I would be worried about anyone reading. I haven't heard one person except me speak out asking for a more cm friendly time for meetings? Maybe more working cm would come if they were?

While I appreciate your frustration please remember that London OBC... as well as the other 6 areas ...have made a good job of the opportunity and we all have an excellent engagement with Ofsted and the results have been well documented.

I haven't said that isn't the case. However Having read Sarah's account I do think London could up their game considering the area they cover and I know a number of cm who would love to attend but can't because they are working full time. Also London have never had a presentation like Sarah's area, nor have they ever had anywhere approaching 400 attendees. Maybe 20-25 on a good day!! In the London area it should be more than achievable to get 400 attendees and then they would be reaching even more people from all sectors surely?

We need positivity not criticism and ...as I said before... well done to all those cms who have given their free time in this issue.

I am sorry to criticise. However in the light of what has and does happen in Sarah's area London need to up their game and become a more Inclusive meeting rather than the exclusive club they have become? Of course people are good to give up their time but I think they might get even more feedback and help if they just opened up the group a little and met on a couple of saturdays a year as well as the weekdays. Maybe you could feedback this to the Steering Committee and let me know what they say?

It is hard to be positive when you see sarah's post about such a positive meeting for so many people to take part in. I am sure there are other members on here who would love to attend a meeting like that if it were held on a Saturday in the London area. do you not agree? Something to aspire to?

rickysmiths
16-03-2016, 04:13 PM

As long as they can get into London in the middle of a working week day which as I have said is not helpful for most working cm and ALL the meetings have been at this sort of time despite asking at the very first and subsequent ones for a more childminder friendly time. Meetings are therefore not open to many cm at all in reality.

Simona
17-03-2016, 09:14 AM
As long as they can get into London in the middle of a working week day which as I have said is not helpful for most working cm and ALL the meetings have been at this sort of time despite asking at the very first and subsequent ones for a more childminder friendly time. Meetings are therefore not open to many cm at all in reality.

I understand your frustration and will ask you again to ...please...bring it to the attention of the London OBC chairs who will listen and respond to your concerns.
Complaining here in this forum will make no difference and will get nothing done as all you are doing is having a go at those who ...you feel...are 'not helpful or give you proper 'feedback'

I also mentioned you had the golden opportunity to raise this at the last London OBC...in fact you did ask one of the HMI but did not pursue it in the end of the session when we had a chance to raise additional questions.

Please persevere...like others who have attended it is a question of priorities...you can get a day off or...if not possible... send questions in for other to ask on your behalf.

Please let us know once you have approached the London OBC with your complaints....I have raised the issue myself for you but I think you would be better at having your own questions answered...also ask Pacey to attend a and feedback to you.

Also please ask for an update on how the OBC is run....The London OBC has no steering committee...just 2 chairs and I think it is you who needs to approach them as it is you who has a concern and is unhappy....I am sorry to hear this.
If you aspire for meetings to be on a Saturday please ask them without criticising behind their back. or making it personal..

You are correct the NW OBC is well attended and that is great ...we are also grateful for any feedback given to us by Sarah
Although I did not attend last Saturday I was able to follow the NW OBC meeting as it happened via those who send messages...although it had different HMIs it was more or less the same format as the London OBC ...because the agenda is often shared

good luck!