PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

halor
01-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Have a 14 month little girl who mum is keen to potty train because of frequent nappy rash. Lo doesn't seem ready, she doesn't acknowledge dirty nappies and doesn't give clues that she is filling her nappy. Apparently she has at home so it may just be here that's the problem.

Mum wants me to put her on the potty every half hour, which is fine when we are at home but I've explained that out and about probably won't be as frequent, especially school runs etc. Mum has sent her in regular nappies so I've asked for her to be put in pull ups from tomorrow as its a fight to get the nappy back on her (don't think mum was happy but I think it's fair)

Does anyone have any hints for early potty training?

moggy
01-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Personally, at 14mths, I would be looking for different solutions for the nappy rash rather than potty training- washable nappies, different brand, try the eco-brands, different barrier creams etc, more nappy-free-time, even check at GP to see if it is thrush or some other cause of nappy-rash symptoms.

halor
01-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Unfortunately that's all been done. I've expressed that I don't feel she is ready. Gran said that mum was in knickers at the same age, she's a young mum do wore disposables, and this is what has caused the whole potty training thing x

halor
01-03-2016, 01:29 PM
There were times that her bum was a mass of open sores and the GP's just shrugged their shoulders and handed over more cream

JCrakers
01-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Mum has to realise that putting her on the potty every 30mins might not be doable for you f you have other children. Even potty training a 2-3yr old is difficult to remember to do it.

If you're out and about, you cant just stay in all day to do this.

Although its a very, very early age to do this, I would do it in the house, as far as I remember to do it. If we go out I wouldn't have the time to stress about it.

Pull ups aren't as absorbent as nappies as they aim to keep the wet against the skin.....so you might find that pull ups make her bottom worse if you don't catch a wee.

halor
01-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Mum has to realise that putting her on the potty every 30mins might not be doable for you f you have other children. Even potty training a 2-3yr old is difficult to remember to do it. If you're out and about, you cant just stay in all day to do this. Although its a very, very early age to do this, I would do it in the house, as far as I remember to do it. If we go out I wouldn't have the time to stress about it. Pull ups aren't as absorbent as nappies as they aim to keep the wet against the skin.....so you might find that pull ups make her bottom worse if you don't catch a wee.

I didn't think of that :-/ Having the fight to get her back into a nappy will be a nightmare. I suppose I can see how it goes, she's only here a day and a half so with mum predominantly. I've told mum I will do where possible but probably not every half an hour as like you said, it's just not possible.

In my heart of hearts I fully believe lo is no where near ready. I'm keeping it really relaxed here as don't want to put her off the potty

tess1981
01-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Have a 14 month little girl who mum is keen to potty train because of frequent nappy rash. Lo doesn't seem ready, she doesn't acknowledge dirty nappies and doesn't give clues that she is filling her nappy. Apparently she has at home so it may just be here that's the problem.

Mum wants me to put her on the potty every half hour, which is fine when we are at home but I've explained that out and about probably won't be as frequent, especially school runs etc. Mum has sent her in regular nappies so I've asked for her to be put in pull ups from tomorrow as its a fight to get the nappy back on her (don't think mum was happy but I think it's fair)

Does anyone have any hints for early potty training?

I have known others to potty train at this age and have success. I don't care what age a parent wants to pity train their children but the rules in my house are send them to mine in pull ups so I can see how it's going. I do bring child every half hour to the toilet (I don't like using a potty) but if on a school run at least if they pee it's not going to soak them I have a 2 yo mindee in pull ups. He is in week 3 of training but only 30 % success I would say but mum sends him in pull ups and I train away :) I just tell the child they are his big boy pants.

halor
01-03-2016, 05:56 PM
I've had a really frank discussion with mum, she asked me my opinion and I was totally honest and said that with me she doesn't seem ready. However, she isn't with me enough to base the decision on my opinion, I only see a snapshot and my house is very different from her own. There's a lot more distraction at mine as there are other children all playing or doing things that lo wants to be a part of.

I mentioned to mum about the pull ups being less absorbent so she is going to wear them here whilst in the house as I think the whole process of pulling them down, sitting her on and pulling them back on will help her mentally prepare as well as me not having the nappy fight everytime. Normal nappies when we are out and about and whilst she is at home with Mum.

Thanks guys :-)