PDA

View Full Version : Newly registered price setting query

White Rose
31-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Hi all

Had my OFSTED registration visit last Tuesday, answered a local ad on Facebook on Wednesday, mum and gorgeous baby came to visit Thursday and agreed to be my first customers that evening :-) Am thrilled to bits - but a bit at a loss as to where to start sorting out the practicalities. I quoted my hourly fee for the 2.5 days he'll be attending (which was fine) - but then got into a bit of a muddle about whether I would charge for two weeks holiday pay for myself, given that it's a term time only contract ... Advice please on what's normal?

He's not due to start till May but I guess I also clearly need to get registered with Pacey and send his mum my policies - but whe would I send her my contract and expect it signing? And would I start settling in after Easter?

I've another mum and daughter coming to see me on Tuesday - it's all moving so fast! Where else do people advertise?

moggy
01-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Will you be taking holidays in term time? If so, you need to decide how much and if you will charge full, 50% for that or no charge- it is just a personal decision, no right or wrong. Make sure you have an agreement of term-time dates, they differ across counties and schools, and check you are in agreement about inset days and days the schools are closed for snow etc.

I have learned from experience that a verbal agreement means absolutely nothing until contract is signed AND deposit paid. The most lovely family can say yes-yes-yes but then there is a change in their circumstances, or Granny unexpectedly offers to have baby, or mum's return to work goes wrong... and you are let down.

I would say clearly that the space will be reserved for them once contracts are signed and deposit equal to 4-weeks fees paid in full. Until then, I am actively looking for other new clients. I make this clear as soon as I meet a family. There are a lot of time wasters out there- they too have cute babies. Hopefully this one will work out for you, but be professional and protect yourself.

Contract signing needs to be done in person- face-to-face, talk through each section, make sure illness policy is clear, holiday pay agreement, early/late arrival/drop-off, when fees need paying and how, late-fees policy etc. This needs to be with both parents (if both parents have parental responsibility, even if parents are split).

I get a lot of work from childcare.co.uk

Good luck, good to hear you are getting enquiries!

White Rose
01-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Will you be taking holidays in term time? If so, you need to decide how much and if you will charge full, 50% for that or no charge- it is just a personal decision, no right or wrong. Make sure you have an agreement of term-time dates, they differ across counties and schools, and check you are in agreement about inset days and days the schools are closed for snow etc.

I have learned from experience that a verbal agreement means absolutely nothing until contract is signed AND deposit paid. The most lovely family can say yes-yes-yes but then there is a change in their circumstances, or Granny unexpectedly offers to have baby, or mum's return to work goes wrong... and you are let down.

I would say clearly that the space will be reserved for them once contracts are signed and deposit equal to 4-weeks fees paid in full. Until then, I am actively looking for other new clients. I make this clear as soon as I meet a family. There are a lot of time wasters out there- they too have cute babies. Hopefully this one will work out for you, but be professional and protect yourself.

Contract signing needs to be done in person- face-to-face, talk through each section, make sure illness policy is clear, holiday pay agreement, early/late arrival/drop-off, when fees need paying and how, late-fees policy etc. This needs to be with both parents (if both parents have parental responsibility, even if parents are split).

I get a lot of work from childcare.co.uk

Good luck, good to hear you are getting enquiries!

Thank you moggy, that's clarified my thinking. No, I will always take my holidays in the school holidays when I'm closed for business anyway - I think that's why I was scratching my head a bit at the idea of building in any holiday pay. Ok, I'll send policies etc through and advise that the place will be held once contracts are signed. I hadn't thought of them paying a deposit - will add that to my list to factor in!

I registered on childcare..co.uk yesterday but hadn't realised you have to pay a membership fee to contact people through there.