PDA

View Full Version : THINGS TO DO

shelly04
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone,

Just got my first two children to watch, a nine year old girl and two year old boy plus I have a seven and one year old of my own. Can any one give me good ideas that the nine year old can join in with as she is the oldest.

Thank you all:)

LittleAcorns
07-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Does she like reading, writing, making, dressing up, roll play, perhaps giving her a little responsibility like asking her to do a lunch menu, ask the other mindees what they'd like to eat/drink? help with hand washing, help dishing the food out, reading to the younger ones, ask her to draw som pictures for the others to colour in, can she choose a theme for the day/week

From experience all my older ones love looking after the younger ones :rolleyes: xx

hillbilly
07-08-2008, 08:32 PM
My dd is 9, and loves to have some responsibility with the little ones, so she is in charge of things like getting thier places ready at the table for lunch, making the drinks etc. she also really enjoys dressing up, computer games, art and craft, and role play. She loves being with the babies I care for and I make sure she knows where the boundries are, for example, she is not allowed to pick them up without my permission, and I dont allow her to be involved in their personal hygiene. She also loves music and so I get her to put her music on and we all dance around the living room!
The other thing she loves to do it make toys and treasure baskets for the little ones, like shakers with rice and hanging old CDs from a coat hanger to make a mobile.

Hope this helps.

PaulaR
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I have a 10 year old daughter and a tow year old mindee adn she loves baking cakes with the younger ones. It can take up quite alot of time if you let the older one ake charge. Then they all need decorating....anotehr hour goes by

donnahay0
08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I put together a personal box for each of my mindees containing colouring pencils, pens etc, colouring books, writing pads, those silver foil scratch things and sticker books - I add things here and there and check them out every so often to make sure it is updated.

They can take their box down whenever they like and just get to it. They can decorate the box how they like. Usually I find that if one takes the box down then other follow and they all have something to do that suits their age/ability inside the box.

The other thing they like to do is play schools - my own daughter and her friends spent hours playing this, apparently she hated school - figure that one out.

shelly04
08-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks everone for all your help, alot of good ideas there.

Polly2
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I love the personal box idea - might pinch that one!

donnahay0
08-08-2008, 02:51 PM
You are most welcome - I am pleased for a change that I have had an idea stolen instead of always doing the stealing. :)