PDA

View Full Version : The (very) high cost of childcare

bunyip
10-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Browsing through the N:censored:mums 'childcare/work' message boards in an idle moment I came across one of those (many) "it's not worth going to work what with the extortionate fees those evil grabbing CMs charge" threads. You know the type. :yawning:

It took me a while to figure the mum didn't quite mean what she said when she erroneously typed into her laptop: "my childcare bill irradiates my entire salary". :D

At least, I hope she meant "eradicates" or she's going to be passing some dangerously radioactive £notes onto her CM. :p

Ripeberry
10-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Off to have a look. Haven't been on Netmums for months...

sarah707
10-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Fees are going to be forced up if hmrc continue its witch hunt against self-employed childminders and reduce or cut their benefits :panic:

Mouse
10-01-2016, 05:32 PM
When I had my third child it wasn't worth me going back to my office job as I'd have been paying out more than I earned on childcare.

I never for one minute thought it was because childcare cost too much. I always accepted it was because my job paid too little!

watford wizz
10-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Some parents/carers complain the cost is too high but what I do is point out the long term cost taken over the whole of a parents working life which on average is say 45 years, most professions if you take a prolonged break to have say 2 children 6-8 years you would have to completely retrain for including our own, by using child care for a relatively short time they don't need to take a break, retain their skills and level of working, are able to go for promotions etc. I'm sure if our "high" cost were worked out over this time scale they wouldn't be seen as so bad.

rickysmiths
10-01-2016, 07:57 PM
I hate the way childcare costs are promoted as too high or sooo expensive.

Mums these days are so lucky, they can be off for up to a year and have their job held open (it was 29 weeks when I had my two)

They get paid for longer than I was (6 weeks statutory Mat pay ) that was it the other 26 weeks were unpaid.

No funding at 3 so I had to pay for my children's Playgroup fees (this was what they were called before Ofsted Inspected them) and certainly no free childcare at 2!

No childcare vouchers so no Tax relief on childcare fees.

Now they get much more money when they are off.

They get Childcare Vouchers and if they are registered when they are pregnant their employer has to continue to pay into the Voucher account as part of the Maternity benefit so that is a potential £3000 banked in Childcare Vouchers while you are off!

Only paying full fees for childcare from at most approx 8-9 months old to 3 years old. I had to pay from 6 months old until they were in School full time in the year the turned five.

So I had childcare fees for 4.5 years and now the most a parent is likely to pay full fees is for 2 years and a few months!!!

You would think they were being asked to pay a second mortgage for 25 years!

Simona
10-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Browsing through the N:censored:mums 'childcare/work' message boards in an idle moment I came across one of those (many) "it's not worth going to work what with the extortionate fees those evil grabbing CMs charge" threads. You know the type. :yawning:

It took me a while to figure the mum didn't quite mean what she said when she erroneously typed into her laptop: "my childcare bill irradiates my entire salary". :D

At least, I hope she meant "eradicates" or she's going to be passing some dangerously radioactive £notes onto her CM. :p

The only thing this woman has been 'irradiated' with is govt's propaganda and rhetoric!
She seemed to have swallowed it in one gulp.
I wonder what she gets paid per hour compared to those who receive as little as £3.50 to care, nurture and educate her child!??

Considering the changes that are taking places I think some parents may have a rude awakening soon!

Fees will definetely rise across the sector and the govt can only blame itself for walking around with blinkers on.

AliceK
11-01-2016, 10:11 AM
When my DS was a baby and I was a single mum I would have been better off financially giving up work and staying at home, getting my rent paid and receiving social. BUT, that's not in my nature and I wanted my child to see that you have to work and be paid for working so I went back to work when he was 4mths old. My childcare bill along with my other bills did mean I had virtually nothing left but at no time did I think about not working, and neither did I resent the money I paid to my wonderful childminder. We are now in a catch 22 situation. Parents and the government want low cost (free) childcare and yet the same government will soon be forcing us all to considerably increase our fees because they will be taking away any little financial help they might be giving us to help us. What exactly do they want us to do :angry:

xx

JCrakers
11-01-2016, 10:34 AM
The problem is that people want something for nothing nowadays. They still want their mobile phone contracts, nice cars, holidays, gadgets, cigarettes, drinking money or whatever 'treat' they need and they expect to pay peanuts for childcare.

Working on minimum wage and being stressed with this work get me down every now and again. Maybe if they tried it they wouldn't moan as much?

Simona
11-01-2016, 12:21 PM
The problem is that people want something for nothing nowadays. They still want their mobile phone contracts, nice cars, holidays, gadgets, cigarettes, drinking money or whatever 'treat' they need and they expect to pay peanuts for childcare.

Working on minimum wage and being stressed with this work get me down every now and again. Maybe if they tried it they wouldn't moan as much?

One of the main reaction to all the changes is to address exactly what you say about wanting something for 'nothing'
The free entitlement is just that but it is not that simple...it is apparently given for nothing but there is a lot behind it....including our subsidy.

I strongly believe many parents do not actually understand what is behind the 'free' 15 hours of childcare...how it works...how it is funded and, most important, what providers get for this so called free scheme.

What we do know though is that the govt is helping 'hard working' families with the cost of childcare while ignoring the very reasons why cost of childcare has risen to current levels...that is the result of govt's own policies, turning childcare into a market, withdrawing LAs support and funding and asking providers to fend for themselves.

My action would be to review the 'pre-prep' first visit when parents come and look at our settings
This should be an introduction based on what providers offer and also evidence of what parents can access for financial help.
so pointing out to parents that they will benefit by £5,000 when the Tax Free Childcare comes in
The benefits of Childcare Vouchers which save parents money and ...up to now...the Working Tax Credits parents can claim...these will be cut in future for both parents, EY employees and Cms....all in it together as the DWP cuts the Welfare State even further.

It also means giving information to parents on how the 'funding' works, who gives it to us and how much or 'how little we get having followed the bureaucratic procedures to claim LA funding and its Terms and Conditions.

I think only by reviewing this initial interview we may stop parents from making crass statements such as the one Bunyip spotted on that site....forewarned is forearmed...or so I believe the saying goes!

Last but not least is making parents understand that...like any other service provider...we will review fees annually.

loocyloo
11-01-2016, 01:00 PM
One of the main reaction to all the changes is to address exactly what you say about wanting something for 'nothing'
The free entitlement is just that but it is not that simple...it is apparently given for nothing but there is a lot behind it....including our subsidy.

I strongly believe many parents do not actually understand what is behind the 'free' 15 hours of childcare...how it works...how it is funded and, most important, what providers get for this so called free scheme.

What we do know though is that the govt is helping 'hard working' families with the cost of childcare while ignoring the very reasons why cost of childcare has risen to current levels...that is the result of govt's own policies, turning childcare into a market, withdrawing LAs support and funding and asking providers to fend for themselves.

My action would be to review the 'pre-prep' first visit when parents come and look at our settings
This should be an introduction based on what providers offer and also evidence of what parents can access for financial help.
so pointing out to parents that they will benefit by £5,000 when the Tax Free Childcare comes in
The benefits of Childcare Vouchers which save parents money and ...up to now...the Working Tax Credits parents can claim...these will be cut in future for both parents, EY employees and Cms....all in it together as the DWP cuts the Welfare State even further.

It also means giving information to parents on how the 'funding' works, who gives it to us and how much or 'how little we get having followed the bureaucratic procedures to claim LA funding and its Terms and Conditions.

I think only by reviewing this initial interview we may stop parents from making crass statements such as the one Bunyip spotted on that site....forewarned is forearmed...or so I believe the saying goes!

Last but not least is making parents understand that...like any other service provider...we will review fees annually.

I agree, but for some parents, they don't get past the first enquiry of 'how much' and then often a shocked gasp!

Simona
11-01-2016, 01:07 PM
I agree, but for some parents, they don't get past the first enquiry of 'how much' and then often a shocked gasp!

Never tell parents what you charge when they first contact you....something most would not ask in an email.
If they are genuine they would want to see what is on offer
If they gasp then you can say a cheaper fee would not mean 'high quality'...don't all parents want high quality?

High quality costs :thumbsup:

loocyloo
11-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Never tell parents what you charge when they first contact you....something most would not ask in an email.
If they gasp then you can say a cheaper fee would not mean 'high quality'...don't all parents want high quality?

:D and that's what I tell them, and usually ask them to come and visit me first, however, some people are on a budget, and I appreciate that, and if they ask, then I tell them my hourly fee, whilst mentioning that it includes all meals/outings etc and that apart from their child and nappies, I do not expect them to provide anything else.

one mum recently said 'that makes you the most expensive CM in the area', and I said yes, but also one of the most experienced and qualified! She still came to see me, and when she knows what she is looking for :rolleyes:, hopefully I will be able to accommodate her.

crumpet54
11-01-2016, 02:12 PM
:D and that's what I tell them, and usually ask them to come and visit me first, however, some people are on a budget, and I appreciate that, and if they ask, then I tell them my hourly fee, whilst mentioning that it includes all meals/outings etc and that apart from their child and nappies, I do not expect them to provide anything else.

one mum recently said 'that makes you the most expensive CM in the area', and I said yes, but also one of the most experienced and qualified! She still came to see me, and when she knows what she is looking for :rolleyes:, hopefully I will be able to accommodate her.

I've had so many enquiries the last couple of weeks and it is so frustrating when the first question is how much? I had one lady with twins and she said i take it that's for both and not each..... eerrr no!
What can I say when they ask how much, I feel that they right me off without either meeting me or knowing about my experience and what I have to offer! It's getting frustrating now. Any ideas?
Ps sorry to hijack the post! X

watford wizz
11-01-2016, 02:31 PM
I answer the question how much with that depends on the sort of service you require if you'd like to come for a visit we can discuss your needs in more detail X I don't discuss charges over the phone. Has worked for me x

crumpet54
11-01-2016, 02:36 PM
I answer the question how much with that depends on the sort of service you require if you'd like to come for a visit we can discuss your needs in more detail X I don't discuss charges over the phone. Has worked for me x

I'll try that next time thanks, hopefully something will come soon.

Simona
11-01-2016, 03:01 PM

Of course parents are on a budget...but so are cms in order to achieve sustainability? And while making up the shortfall in funding!
Parents receive huge amounts in financial help from the govt
You could say your hourly fee depends on what they require....some may not want meals...so you can flag up 'flexibility' and catering for individual needs

Some cms charge less for after school care, more for babies and less for older children....or term time care
What we should do in my view is match the fees with other providers then flag up our additional perks which we can only do when they visit.

If a parent says you are the most expensive cm what is she comparing this with? Experience, size of setting? A one-room nursery environment where children are stuck 10 hours a day each day?

I would be suspicious if the first question is 'how much' rather than 'what do you offer'?

I hope Bunyip won't mind we are extending this thread.....as his post was 'the very high cost of childcare'

Last thought...if I were to approach a decorator, dress maker or such like I would ask to visit and give me an estimate....never ask 'what do you charge'?....it should apply to parents looking for childcare too but then...some are expecting a lot for very little remuneration maybe backed by govt's policy that childcare is very expensive :angry:

bunyip
11-01-2016, 07:02 PM
I hope Bunyip won't mind we are extending this thread.....as his post was 'the very high cost of childcare'

I don't mind at all.

I find it frustrating that the top 3 (usually the first 3............ sometimes the only 3) questions parents ask at the initial enquiry are:-

Do you have a vacancy for the times I need?
How much?
How close are you?

If anything, I find question 3 far more irritating than question 2. I can understand people having a limited budget, and it does make sense not to overstretch themselves. But it's very frustrating that parents can't be bothered to add as little as 5 minutes to their journey-to-work time to find decent childcare. I've known plenty of parents send their darlings to the most dreadful settings simply because they are on the doorstep or have a car park next door.

I've had parents from the next town to me visit and then say "you're too far to come". They drive. I walk past their houses several times a week to take mindees to toddler group, library, shops, children's centre, etc. It's pathetic. :panic:

mumofone
12-01-2016, 08:53 AM
I see both sides I have to say -

From my point of view we provide an excellent much needed service for very little per hour really

But for parents it soon adds up and I do wonder how people on more modest incomes afford childcare

Simona
12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
I see both sides I have to say -

From my point of view we provide an excellent much needed service for very little per hour really

But for parents it soon adds up and I do wonder how people on more modest incomes afford childcare

I see your point but not everyone provides an excellent service...it depends how you describe that? but most strive for that of course

A needed service....yes but not always calculated per hour as cm are not 'waged' and per hour payment is not the right way to look at it...income is more appropriate terminology....for me.

What we provide is a service which is individual to the Cm who offers it...contrary to nurseries where many of the procedures are fairly similar as no 2 Cms houses are the same but few take account of the environment from where they offer this service.

We decide how much we would like to be paid in fee...our choice and many cms would argue against being paid little as they charge an adequate fee for their business accounting for skills, experience and also ....size of setting.
many Cms keep their fees low to compete with nurseries...I think that is not wise...my view of course.

Yes childcare adds up...just as fast as our costs do and recently they have doubled...those who have been in childcare prior to Truss et all will verify that...a quick look at our past accounts will soon tell us.

Parents are on modest incomes? well some are low paid but that depends on the hours worked and much more ...BUT...all can expect a Minimum Wage which is going up in April...that is compulsory

Parents on modest incomes receive the same amount of financial help from the govt as those who can earn £100,000 and still claim from subsidising providers.
The problem is the govt policy is built around parental employment not around children.

Plenty more will come out soon as policies are revealed further

rickysmiths
12-01-2016, 11:03 AM

I actually have to disagree again. I am finding more and more over the last few years the first question parents ask by email or phone or by message on advertising sites is how much.

I am with you I never used to discuss cost until the parent was in my home. For many reasons one being what I supply for my fee, that I don't add extra for food or outings , that I provide all changing needs apart from nappies etc. Many parents do look at the hourly fee/weekly fee instead of looking at the overall annual costs for everything and then dividing if they want the true fee. I do try to steer them away from cost but it is hard and I find that actually if the cost is the first thing they ask they are prob not going to come and see me first and go to the cheaper cms and then work their way back when they realise the standard some of the cheap one s offer.

Simona
12-01-2016, 11:24 AM
I actually have to disagree again. I am finding more and more over the last few years the first question parents ask by email or phone or by message on advertising sites is how much.

I am with you I never used to discuss cost until the parent was in my home. For many reasons one being what I supply for my fee, that I don't add extra for food or outings , that I provide all changing needs apart from nappies etc. Many parents do look at the hourly fee/weekly fee instead of looking at the overall annual costs for everything and then dividing if they want the true fee. I do try to steer them away from cost but it is hard and I find that actually if the cost is the first thing they ask they are prob not going to come and see me first and go to the cheaper cms and then work their way back when they realise the standard some of the cheap one s offer.

No problem...no one is asking for agreement and as said 'it is my view'

If a parent calls me and asks 'how much do you charge'? ....my reply is 'what needs do you have?...can you visit and we discuss?
Also remember any parent can call our LA and ask generally what the 'going rate' is...often after the question on charges parents follow it up with 'such and such charge this'
...we must not under estimate the research parents do before they call us and the amount of chats they have amongst themselves.

JCrakers
12-01-2016, 11:42 AM
The price is always the first thing that parents ask me. I feel, to them it's the most important thing. I do feel that they are trying to judge whether or not they can afford it and keep their luxury car and their lifestyle.

I live in an affluent town with a major train link to London, the price of a 2 bed flat next to the station is in the region of £280,000 - £300,000. The majority of my parents work full time and live in 4 bed houses which are around £360.000-£450.000, they have two cars on the drive, their kids do dancing, karate, theatre, sports clubs and older kids have iphones and Hollister/superdry clothing.

Most don't complain about the £3.75ph fee (used to be £3.50 before Sept) which includes food, toddler groups. But I've had a few comments over the years. One lady who lives just around the corner always brings up how she finds it expensive and all her money goes to me. :rolleyes: But then they had their garage turned into a playroom for the children and her kids wear branded clothing.

Another, when she picked up her crying dd (tantrum) that I should be 'ok with the tantrums because of the money I bring in' :eek:

Most parents are ok but money is top priority here even though these people are not on the poverty line

Simona
12-01-2016, 01:22 PM
The price is always the first thing that parents ask me. I feel, to them it's the most important thing. I do feel that they are trying to judge whether or not they can afford it and keep their luxury car and their lifestyle.

I live in an affluent town with a major train link to London, the price of a 2 bed flat next to the station is in the region of £280,000 - £300,000. The majority of my parents work full time and live in 4 bed houses which are around £360.000-£450.000, they have two cars on the drive, their kids do dancing, karate, theatre, sports clubs and older kids have iphones and Hollister/superdry clothing.

Most don't complain about the £3.75ph fee (used to be £3.50 before Sept) which includes food, toddler groups. But I've had a few comments over the years. One lady who lives just around the corner always brings up how she finds it expensive and all her money goes to me. :rolleyes: But then they had their garage turned into a playroom for the children and her kids wear branded clothing.

Another, when she picked up her crying dd (tantrum) that I should be 'ok with the tantrums because of the money I bring in' :eek:

Most parents are ok but money is top priority here even though these people are not on the poverty line

That is where I think differently as money is in a way a priority for us all.
I am not interested where parents live, how affluent they are or what they aspire to in terms of holidays and cars...that is not my main concern!
what is the problem is making my business viable and refusing to discuss fees in an email or text
A recent research found out the vast majority of parents do not visit a setting prior to registering their child...all is done by mobile and internet...I found no one in agreement with that

I have another business and get calls from clients....the first question is 'can you visit and give me an idea of cost?'...so why can it not be the same for childcare and cms in particular?

The remark by your parent about what 'you bring in' says it all really...respect is sadly missing there....eek indeed!

In 1993 I started my preschool and charged £4 ph...normal as it was the average charge by other providers....can you survive on £3.75?

Thanks for your input ...an eye opener in a way.

mumofone
12-01-2016, 01:36 PM
I think it's a completely fair question for parents to ask and I asked too as a parent looking for childcare.

You wAnt to know the hourly charge and what's included, you want to know if you'll be penalised for being late, charged For their holidays and for yours. I think it's fair that they ask.

I just tell parents upfront and publicise it on the Internet then if its complexity out of their reach I don't waste their time and they don't waste mine.

JCrakers
12-01-2016, 01:43 PM
That is where I think differently as money is in a way a priority for us all.
I am not interested where parents live, how affluent they are or what they aspire to in terms of holidays and cars...that is not my main concern!
what is the problem is making my business viable and refusing to discuss fees in an email or text
A recent research found out the vast majority of parents do not visit a setting prior to registering their child...all is done by mobile and internet...I found no one in agreement with that

I have another business and get calls from clients....the first question is 'can you visit and give me an idea of cost?'...so why can it not be the same for childcare and cms in particular?

The remark by your parent about what 'you bring in' says it all really...respect is sadly missing there....eek indeed!

In 1993 I started my preschool and charged £4 ph...normal as it was the average charge by other providers....can you survive on £3.75?

Thanks for your input ...an eye opener in a way.

My post wasn't aimed at you Simona, it was just a comment at the cost of childcare :thumbsup::D

Simona
12-01-2016, 01:54 PM
My post wasn't aimed at you Simona, it was just a comment at the cost of childcare :thumbsup::D

Yes I know...apologies if it came out that way...I should not have copied your comment ...it was a general reply even though I mentioned your fee comment.
It is confusing when this is an open thread.

Mumofone....if you are happy to discuss your fees by email or phone that is ok...if you put it on your website why do they ask you again? I would expect them to visit and look at what you offer ...no?
One of the main recommendations to parents is to visit when a cm has children in her care
I personally do not feel I want to discuss my late fees or any terms and conditions on the phone as I use this for different purposes

I also said they can ask but the reply would be 'what do you need'?
There is a lot that can be gained by face-to-face interviews and again we are different
I can only go by 22 years of experience and what I feel is best for me.

mumofone
12-01-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm interested in what 'packages' people offer, I currently just charge by the hour so it's clear cut but when do you decide not to charge in this way?

greenfaerie
12-01-2016, 02:02 PM
I think it's a completely fair question for parents to ask and I asked too as a parent looking for childcare. You wAnt to know the hourly charge and what's included, you want to know if you'll be penalised for being late, charged For their holidays and for yours. I think it's fair that they ask. I just tell parents upfront and publicise it on the Internet then if its complexity out of their reach I don't waste their time and they don't waste mine.

I do this too. I advertise my price and that way if the price puts them off then they're not right for me. If someone has to "get over" the price that their childcare will cost then won't there be a chance that they'll still feel a bit negative about it, month to month? I'd prefer to just avoid that whole awkwardness and mention my fees (and what's included from the get go) I even advise parents flick through my policies before they visit me, just to make sure that we're not wasting one another's time and if they're happy with what they read then we'll arrange a meeting.

I did have my most recent sign up say "Oh, yeah that's good!" when I mentioned my fees and that made me worry that I'm charging too little! :D I was thinking of increasing a bit next September, but that's bound to be awkward. :S

smurfette
12-01-2016, 11:28 PM
The price is always the first thing that parents ask me. I feel, to them it's the most important thing. I do feel that they are trying to judge whether or not they can afford it and keep their luxury car and their lifestyle. I live in an affluent town with a major train link to London, the price of a 2 bed flat next to the station is in the region of £280,000 - £300,000. The majority of my parents work full time and live in 4 bed houses which are around £360.000-£450.000, they have two cars on the drive, their kids do dancing, karate, theatre, sports clubs and older kids have iphones and Hollister/superdry clothing. Most don't complain about the £3.75ph fee (used to be £3.50 before Sept) which includes food, toddler groups. But I've had a few comments over the years. One lady who lives just around the corner always brings up how she finds it expensive and all her money goes to me. :rolleyes: But then they had their garage turned into a playroom for the children and her kids wear branded clothing. Another, when she picked up her crying dd (tantrum) that I should be 'ok with the tantrums because of the money I bring in' :eek: Most parents are ok but money is top priority here even though these people are not on the poverty line

I have similar house prices near me (only in euros not pounds if you see what I mean.. €280-300000 for a flat ,
House prices at least €300-400 000. Of course as a young couple starting a family and having a mortgage childcare is another expense but I charge €5 per hour so would have thought you could charge more if all relative if you see what I mean?! Cheeky parent to comment on what you are bringing in.. If they saw our expenses 😱. I charge more for very part time like half days etc around €5.50-6 but interestingly I usually don't have trouble filling spaces because of the fact I take mindees out so much (most local don't ) but when j tried to up it to 5.50 - 6 for fuller time spaces I couldn't fill them. So that's obv the limit here. Although I hVe a friend just up the road (well five / ten mins Away) who doesn't take kids out at all as she is nervous , has two big hairy dogs (purs lives outside they do put people off I know) and charges €7 per hour!! She only works part time but most of mine are part time too and some of my mindees live in her area. Go figure!!

rickysmiths
13-01-2016, 12:37 PM

So similar we live a 45 min tube ride from Baker Street just inside the M25 in a reasonably well off area. New bedsits next to the station £300,000 and some flats being built opposite will start at £600,000 for a 2 bed!! They have all sold off plan and when the ones by the station came on the market there was a line around the block and a few people camped out overnight! We moved here 11 years ago because it was cheaper and much nicer than were we were 10 miles nearer to London our house has doubled in value in that time to a level that we couldn't afford to buy it now!

I have a parent at the moment cutting back to the bone due to lack of money, dad only gets £120pm Vouchers because of his income they have bought a bigger house (Aug) number 2 due next week, they have had a massive extension built, new kitchen, bathroom, decorated throughout, since then they have bought a new car each. But now having said they would continue the 4 days they have cut the days, cut the hours to barely 45 hours thinking the funding will cover it??? They want continuity of care and for the new baby and they think I will now hold two places open when they have spent so much they need not have done? She is also on full pay for 6 months and is only having until Sept off and still getting her Vouchers. Priorities comes to mind.

I have replaced them and will be giving them notice in the next couple of weeks because I can't afford not to.

FussyElmo
13-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I suppose it depends on why they are asking price. If it's just because they want the cheapest they can find then nothing you can do.
However if it's a family who has worked out their budget and say for example they know they can afford £4 an hour is it worth them visiting cms who are more expensive. If a family has a budget and lots do it won't be worth anyone's time if they genuinely cannot afford it.

halor
13-01-2016, 12:46 PM
I advertise my costs, it makes things easier for budgeting families. I don't want to go through the meeting etc only to find out they won't pay my fees and I won't reduce them. Saves everyone time and awkwardness

rickysmiths
13-01-2016, 01:22 PM
I suppose it depends on why they are asking price. If it's just because they want the cheapest they can find then nothing you can do.
However if it's a family who has worked out their budget and say for example they know they can afford £4 an hour is it worth them visiting cms who are more expensive. If a family has a budget and lots do it won't be worth anyone's time if they genuinely cannot afford it.

This is a family who have been with me for two years and it would seem childcare is not top of their list as they seem to be attaching little priority to securing a valuable place for two children. I have worked with many families over the years in a similar situation and they will come and discuss a plan.

This mum did that in November and was keeping the 4 full days and since then they have bought 2 new cars (they only really needed one as Dad had a smart car) did all sorts of expensive stuff over Christmas including a big engagement ring, then she just handed me a spreadsheet in the New Year of her 'new' hours!!! Which instead of 36 hours over 4 days is barely 15 hours over three days with a 10am start instead of an 8am which completely does me going out anywhere, no discussion just this is what my hours will be!!. No one dictates to me like that and I can't afford to do less than half the hours how arrogant of her to think I could!

I had four people asking for care last week so I have a couple who will very neatly fill the 4 days and want to use me as soon as possible so I will allow the family I have to save even more money by letting them off their Notice Period and returning their Deposit. Wouldn't want them to go short!

smurfette
14-01-2016, 08:05 AM
This is a family who have been with me for two years and it would seem childcare is not top of their list as they seem to be attaching little priority to securing a valuable place for two children. I have worked with many families over the years in a similar situation and they will come and discuss a plan. This mum did that in November and was keeping the 4 full days and since then they have bought 2 new cars (they only really needed one as Dad had a smart car) did all sorts of expensive stuff over Christmas including a big engagement ring, then she just handed me a spreadsheet in the New Year of her 'new' hours!!! Which instead of 36 hours over 4 days is barely 15 hours over three days with a 10am start instead of an 8am which completely does me going out anywhere, no discussion just this is what my hours will be!!. No one dictates to me like that and I can't afford to do less than half the hours how arrogant of her to think I could! I had four people asking for care last week so I have a couple who will very neatly fill the 4 days and want to use me as soon as possible so I will allow the family I have to save even more money by letting them off their Notice Period and returning their Deposit. Wouldn't want them to go short!

Unbelievable.. You wouldn't have minded so much if they had had a chat with you. I wouldn't be holding spaces either x