PDA

View Full Version : Communication with other early years settings

Mrs M
07-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Part of the requirement of the EYFS is to communicate with any other early years settings that the children in our care attend. Therefore, one of my children also attends nursery two days per week so I need to be in communication with them regarding his development etc. I have provided the parents with an All About Me form to complete and pass back to me. Should I then contact the nursery direct and arrange for the form, or indeed booklet as I'm sure it will become, to be sent between us. Should the parent transport the booklet from setting to setting or is it our responsibility? I have heard that we as childminders should in fact be meeting with key workers at nurseries but I'm sure none of us really have the time to do that with most of us having families of our own.

mimo
07-08-2008, 08:04 AM
I was talking to one of m parents about this i look after 3 of her children 2 are just about to go into year 2 and her youngest comes to me 2 afternoons a week for 2 hours nursery 3 times a week and 2 playschool sessions a week. She would prefer the nursery/playschool not to disscus his education with me obviously if there is a problem that i need to know about for the afternoon i have got him or if he has had a fall or injury she is happy for them to let me know .If the playschool/nursery has a concern over his development she would rather them inform her directly,If i had a concern with his development i woud raise it with the parent and not the pre school setting.The only exception to this would be if was concerned about his welfare i a abuse or neglet way then i would approch the pre school setting to see if they had any concerns in that area, the same with the 2 school age children. I have to say i can see where she is coming from as i would not want the school telling anyone about my childs progress i would rather they raised the concerns with me directly. I would check with your parent if she would want you meeting their childs key worker.

Paula J
07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi I have had the same dilema but have agreed with parents to follow what nursery etc is working on and base my activities around this. As for appointments with key workers , nursery teachers I dont think it is our place to speak to them with regards a childs education it is their parents job. I ask parents to let me know what school has said to them in their teachers assesments and get a copy of reports etc from the parents so I too can work on improving weak areas and pushing strong ones. I have special needs children this would mean I had to meet with SENCO and Iclusion Support workers as well as teachers and while I am happy to do so if parents are there feel it is too much for me to do alone.
Hope this helps a little I think we are all just learning what works and doesnt so go with what you feel you have the time to do
Paula:)

2kidsunder5
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I may be wrong and I am sure some will tell me if I am but...

The child is the key in this not the parents. We as professionals will have a duty as from 1st September to work with other early years settings. See page 10 ref: 1.16 of The Statutory Framework.

I currently mind a 15 month old who attends nursery 3 days a week and I have him the other 2. Within the EYFS guidelines we have to work together to provide care and meet all standards for this little boy. This does not necessarily mean that they or you disclose all information it simply means that you work together - possibly by following the same themes or working on the same topics etc.

If the parents are not happy or comfortable with you exchanging information with other settings then I would suggest you get this in writing from them. However, the way I understand it is the parents are not the important party the child is.

Sorry, I am not the best at putting things into words and I have had a long day.

Diane x

butterfly
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
i'm hoping that my local nursery will share their planning themes with me so that I could follow along the same lines. However I can't see them being very impressed with me suggesting they follow my planning themes!!

Mrs M
08-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I may be wrong and I am sure some will tell me if I am but...

The child is the key in this not the parents. We as professionals will have a duty as from 1st September to work with other early years settings. See page 10 ref: 1.16 of The Statutory Framework.

I currently mind a 15 month old who attends nursery 3 days a week and I have him the other 2. Within the EYFS guidelines we have to work together to provide care and meet all standards for this little boy. This does not necessarily mean that they or you disclose all information it simply means that you work together - possibly by following the same themes or working on the same topics etc.

If the parents are not happy or comfortable with you exchanging information with other settings then I would suggest you get this in writing from them. However, the way I understand it is the parents are not the important party the child is.

Sorry, I am not the best at putting things into words and I have had a long day.

Diane x

I totally agree Diane and I think you worded it great. I'm lucky in that the parents I deal with believe that their child's care is paramount and therefore will go along with whatever the Government decides (that's what the mum said to me). She reads up a lot and understands exactly what is expected of childminders and nurseries and I appreciate that she has done that as it makes life a lot easier for me. Why should parents stand in the way of what we as childminders HAVE to do? If more parents were to educate themselves on the EYFS it would be an easier job for us.

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Hmmm, E goes to another minder for the first half of the week (mum and dad are divorced) and I have sent a note home to go via dad to the other minder that mum says she has passed on, but apparently the other minder isn't interested in working with me. I have tried and thats all I can do. I'll keep mum updated and send a spare newsletter or occasional bits of info about what we have been doing. I don't even know the other minders' full name (mum apparently doesn't either which I find a bit strange) and doesn't know where she lives just a general area.
The only chance I may have is that Mum goes on holiday in October and Dad will be bringing E to me - so I may get chance to talk to him (apparently he wants to "check me out" anyway).

So as far as it goes i will note down my efforts etc

Mrs M
08-08-2008, 08:19 AM
How awful that the other minder won't work with you. What's her problem? It can only be a positive thing can't it? Surely the child's development is paramount here, why can't she see that? And the fact that the mother doesn't know where her child goes for half the week!

barbarella68
08-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I totally agree Diane and I think you worded it great. I'm lucky in that the parents I deal with believe that their child's care is paramount and therefore will go along with whatever the Government decides (that's what the mum said to me). She reads up a lot and understands exactly what is expected of childminders and nurseries and I appreciate that she has done that as it makes life a lot easier for me. Why should parents stand in the way of what we as childminders HAVE to do? If more parents were to educate themselves on the EYFS it would be an easier job for us.
Unfortunately we as Childminders must do as the Government and powers to be tell us,but Emma we must remember WE are not the parents and the main reason that most parents work is because they have too not because they want to,they stand in the way as parents because thats what they are parents,and being away from their children is probably one of the hardest jobs they have had to do,imagine being told that your opionion on your childs up bringing doesn't matter.

Mrs M
08-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately we as Childminders must do as the Government and powers to be tell us,but Emma we must remember WE are not the parents and the main reason that most parents work is because they have too not because they want to,they stand in the way as parents because thats what they are parents,and being away from their children is probably one of the hardest jobs they have had to do,imagine being told that your opionion on your childs up bringing doesn't matter.

I don't think anyone is saying their opinion doesn't matter. Afterall, we are constantly providing parents with questionnaires, asking how they feel we could better our setting, asking for input etc. However, when the Government is telling us we have to do something and we're going to be inspected on it, it becomes a very difficult situation. This should make absolutely no difference to the type of care the children are receiving and in a lot of cases, parents don't even have to know much about the obs side of things if they don't want to. I have a set of parents who don't read the daily diary I provide and don't even know what their little boy has been up to during the day. That's their choice but I'm fulfilling my part of working with parents by providing them with the information.
I agree it must be awful to be away from your child and I couldn't imagine it. The parents I deal with don't have to work full time, they choose to because they couldn't imagine being with their children seven days per week and they have great careers!!!

donnahay0
08-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I also agree with Dianne on this one. I don't think playschool will divulge indepth information and neither would I without the parents consent. Generally, I think that as childminders we will probably have the upper hand with the children's developmental rate anyway as we spend more one-to-one time with them.

I think that I will work alongside them with regard to activities and current themes they are doing and will chat on a daiy basis about what the child has been doing, ejoying, not enjoying etc.

Where there is a specific developmental issue I think it will become more of a three way thing, but we will probably already be aware of the problem anyway.

I hope that make sense as I am having problems with brain function this morning. (sorry)

barbarella68
08-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Emma you are very unfortunate to have parents like that.
I have been in the childcare business for over 20 years and ended up working in Social services and very seldom did I come across parents who didn't care about their childrens development.The trouble is the government change things every few years so all the childcare proffessions change their way of doing things but in the end is their way the right way (Probably not).:rolleyes:

donnahay0
08-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Hmmm, E goes to another minder for the first half of the week (mum and dad are divorced) and I have sent a note home to go via dad to the other minder that mum says she has passed on, but apparently the other minder isn't interested in working with me. I have tried and thats all I can do. I'll keep mum updated and send a spare newsletter or occasional bits of info about what we have been doing. I don't even know the other minders' full name (mum apparently doesn't either which I find a bit strange) and doesn't know where she lives just a general area.
The only chance I may have is that Mum goes on holiday in October and Dad will be bringing E to me - so I may get chance to talk to him (apparently he wants to "check me out" anyway).

Very strange indeed. Do you think the other childminder is feeling threatened because she isn't.... how shall i put it... quite up-to-date with the EYFS welfare requirements and is putting it off because she doesn't do much with the chidren. This of course may not be the case but it is the impression she is giving.

As for Mum I would certainly want to check this other childminder out just like Dad should be checking you out as a matter of course and wanting the best for their children. I certainly would.

I had divorced parents and initially met with Dad - I suggested Mum came along to see me at a seperate time as it was important she was happy. I confirmed that the contract side of things would stay confidential & also money issues. When she came round I found her to be a valuable source of information regarding the children's eating habits etc. She was also a really lovely woman and went away happy because she knew where her children were.

buildingblocks
08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I was talking to one of m parents about this i look after 3 of her children 2 are just about to go into year 2 and her youngest comes to me 2 afternoons a week for 2 hours nursery 3 times a week and 2 playschool sessions a week.
The two year 2's do not come under this anyway only nursery one

She would prefer the nursery/playschool not to disscus his education with me obviously if there is a problem that i need to know about for the afternoon i have got him or if he has had a fall or injury she is happy for them to let me know .If the playschool/nursery has a concern over his development she would rather them inform her directly,If i had a concern with his development i woud raise it with the parent and not the pre school setting.
in that case up need this in writing but you can still show you are working with settings by working towards the same theme or some thing similar as that will not be anything to do with development in the way mum probably means

The only exception to this would be if was concerned about his welfare i a abuse or neglet way then i would approch the pre school setting to see if they had any concerns in that area, the same with the 2 school age children.
You would need to be careful how you approached this if you had concerns because of confidentiality not sure if you are meant to iscuss it with them or not unless it has been made official - anyone got anymore thoughts on that one

I have to say i can see where she is coming from as i would not want the school telling anyone about my childs progress i would rather they raised the concerns with me directly.
I don't think it is about raising concerns on development which as you say you would discuss with the paretn first anyway but showing that you are all working together - tbh you are lucky if other settings are willing to work with you I have a theory I may find this one harder than the parents

I would check with your parent if she would want you meeting their childs key worker.

I am having trouble making my paretns understand how important the EYFS is goingot be and that I don't actually have a choice but to discuss it with them

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 12:39 PM

Very strange indeed. Do you think the other childminder is feeling threatened because she isn't.... how shall i put it... quite up-to-date with the EYFS welfare requirements and is putting it off because she doesn't do much with the chidren. This of course may not be the case but it is the impression she is giving.

As for Mum I would certainly want to check this other childminder out just like Dad should be checking you out as a matter of course and wanting the best for their children. I certainly would.

I had divorced parents and initially met with Dad - I suggested Mum came along to see me at a seperate time as it was important she was happy. I confirmed that the contract side of things would stay confidential & also money issues. When she came round I found her to be a valuable source of information regarding the children's eating habits etc. She was also a really lovely woman and went away happy because she knew where her children were.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the other minder isn't registered. I cannot find a trace of her on the vacancy sheets i have for that area (but she may well have opted out or uses a different forename) BUT my DO has been told of an un-reg carer working in that area by the same name.
I am finding it strange that mum doesn't know where son goes for half of the week or who to (knowing the surname).
Like I say I will note it down what i have tried and when and the outcome (none)!!

madasahatter
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Working with other settings is tricky. I've got my planning done upto Christmas and parents will get a newsletter detailing my themes each month. I will have 1 LO attending school nursery and 2 LOs attending preschool, so theoretically I will need to support the work they are doing in 2 other settings. Preschool issues newsletters with details of their themes, so I can work with that and add activities that will support the children further, however the school nursery doesn't do anything like that. I will happily give a copy of my newsletter to both establishments but I know full well they will neither have the time nor inclination to support the work we are doing at my house, and of course the children spend the most time with me rather than the other two settings so I am the primary childcarer! I can see myself becoming a nuisance to the school nursery staff by asking too many questions:rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Apart from getting a copy of our local nurseries themes/topics, I don't really see how we can work with them. I can't really see them adjusting their planning to fit in with mine!! They certainly don't have time to talk to me when I pick 'A' up at lunch time, apart from a quick handover! :huh:

2kidsunder5
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Apart from getting a copy of our local nurseries themes/topics, I don't really see how we can work with them. I can't really see them adjusting their planning to fit in with mine!! They certainly don't have time to talk to me when I pick 'A' up at lunch time, apart from a quick handover! :huh:

I know what you mean. Some children come out of Nursery chatting away about what they have done and can tell you themselves if they enjoyed it. A childminder friend of mine looks after a little boy who says nothing about nursery when he comes out, she has no idea what he has been doing.

It's difficult, I agree the only thing we can do is ask what their themes and topics are and follow on with them in our own setting - you know yourself what the kids like so you can link activities to suit.

I actually feel it will be easier to plan for children who attend other settings (especially if they attend for more hours than they do with us) -providing the setting are co-operative, and let's face it if they want to impress Ofsted at their next inspection they will have to be, the theme is already set for us :) all we need to do is find activities that link.

Diane x

son77
08-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a little girl who's to start in Sept, I will have her just 1 afternoon a week. She will attend pre-school 2 days a week & play group 3 mornings a week, to which I will pick her up from on a thurs.

I have never worked liked this before & not sure what to expect from them.

Will I have to talk to her pre-school who I will never have any contact with (dont even know which one)? Will the pre-school & playgroup have to work together (again they wont have contact with each other)? Just wondering how it will all work.

With playgroup, what do I do? Introduce myself as a childminder & take it from there?

buildingblocks
08-08-2008, 09:20 PM
I will have 1 LO attending school nursery and 2 LOs attending preschool, so theoretically I will need to support the work they are doing in 2 other settings.

As I see it like you say they are not going to work with us so why should we have to follow there themes.

I am thinking more along the lines of seeing which bit of an area of learning they are working with e.g. say CLL and then possibly a smaller section of this (can you tell I don't know what I am talking about lol) and then following that up within my themes - not that I am doing themes as such - so that i will be able to show I am working with them but do my own thing at the same time.

Does that make sense. As a childminder you are working with two/three settings I may well be working with two settings so if thy are working on different themese how can we do this. And as you say we are their primary carers after parents sos in theory they should be following our lead.

mrsb
08-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I am very lucky in that I work at the same pre school my 2 mindees go to and I am there on the same days they attend there, does that mean that it is satisfactory for me to tell ofsted that I talk to myself about the children a lot:idea: :laughing:

Spangles
08-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't see why we have to change our themes etc to coincide with what's happening somewhere else? What is the point of that? If you have 2 or 3 children going to different nurseries etc how can you have 2 or 3 different themes? Why should we be dictated what we should be doing just because we have the child for less hours?

If we are all following EYFS then the child will have everything they need.

I can see the point of coming together if there are 'problems' to work on but other than that I can't really see the point but maybe I'm missing something?

madasahatter
09-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I suppose if we try to make it as simple as possible. When we visit a setting to drop off and collect there is usually some form of communication however brief. If you look around the setting you get an idea of what things they are doing from displays and activities so it should be really easy to support some of their work when at your home, whatever your chosen theme. You just have to be creative in how you link things together;)
PSED - teaching the children to fasten their own coats, sharing
CLL - reading some of the books you may see in preschool/nursery
PSRN - well we count everything don't we:laughing:
KUW- (I'll think of something)
PD - well we've all probably got similar bikes and trikes, beanbags etc etc
CD - See what the nursery/preschool have on their displays/role play areas

If I thought about it long and hard I could probably make lots of links without even going down the route of trying to follow their themes;)

Monkey1
09-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I was going to just write all communication in a book. Note down things i have been told, asked etc, things i have noticed ie wall displays etc to show themes and perhaps plans of how i could back that up during our story/activity time etc!

Donkey
09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
thats a good idea monkey

I think that we should encorporate things nursery/play groups are doing but if you have children attending different groups following their planning could be a nightmare.

e.g they have a spanish theme and you have planned an animal theme.

you could incorporate that by looking at spanish bulls?!?!

(brain not functioning, im grasping at straws :D)

Monkey1
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
thats a good idea monkey

I think that we should encorporate things nursery/play groups are doing but if you have children attending different groups following their planning could be a nightmare.

e.g they have a spanish theme and you have planned an animal theme.

you could incorporate that by looking at spanish bulls?!?!

(brain not functioning, im grasping at straws :D)

I think as long as you have that written down and you have a note of planning then i think that proves that you are complying with ofsteds request!