PDA

View Full Version : my first potential visit last min help!

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Hey I've had another enquiry Yay!
10 month old 3 full days a week .
Mum coming for a chat etc this afternoon, hit me with your last min advice tips!

What paperwork should I go with I don't want to overboard her with paperwork
I've printed off my welcome pack , baby routine information, all about me form.
Shall I print off the necessary section of what to expect when booklet?

Thanks x

lollipop kid
13-11-2015, 12:55 PM
That all sounds good.

Personally, I always want to get a feel for the Mum and baby, and to allow both of them to get a feel for my setting and experience a little of what it is like for a child here. I think these two things are much more important than paperwork.

If you are child-free for her visit, then you will be able to answer lots of her questions. If not, then you can always invite her back for another visit once she's got a feel for the place (and you) and whether or not it is right for her and her child/she feels she can work well with you.

You can also ask where she is in her decision-making process and find out more about what she needs. For example, is this the start or end of the process for her? What other settings has she visited already? When does she want a place from?

I often find that parents are looking months in advance and often don't really know what they want for their child until they've visited a good number of childminders and Nurseries. If they then come back to you, you're doing really well.

Good luck with the visit. Don't overwhelm her with paperwork - it's probably unlikely that she's even ready to sign up with you there and then. Just enjoy it and use the time to make her visit a really enjoyable experience for both of you.

All the best,

LK

greenfaerie
13-11-2015, 12:57 PM
I found that parents mostly just wanted to get an impression of me and how I worked. You can always mention the other booklet and email them a link to it if they're interested? Or you can print it if you want to chat to them about it. :)

I'd just say, be welcoming and friendly and don't rashly commit to anything that you'll have to take back later. (I'm awful at over promising when put on the spot!) :D

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Brilliant thank you all good ideas and things to think about.
My 18 month daughter will be here I'm hoping she is on her best behaviour lol
I'll set up some nice activities etc in the playroom which will help hopefully it'll be a nice relaxing chat

loocyloo
13-11-2015, 01:08 PM
The only thing I ensure I do at a first meeting is asking the parent to fill out a form with their name address phone and email, child's name, age, what care they are looking for, (days/hours ... even if really vague) and when they anticipate needing care to start.
I find this helps them to realise that you are serious about the job, and it's not just something you do for a hobby!

Other than that, I just chat and answer questions. Maybe ask a few of my own but overall I am trying to gauge whether we get on and I want to look after the child.

Just remembered, I also give them a little flyer with my contact details on and a few brief statements about what I do/offer etc.

Good luck xxx

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 01:09 PM
The only thing I ensure I do at a first meeting is asking the parent to fill out a form with their name address phone and email, child's name, age, what care they are looking for, (days/hours ... even if really vague) and when they anticipate needing care to start.
I find this helps them to realise that you are serious about the job, and it's not just something you do for a hobby!

Other than that, I just chat and answer questions. Maybe ask a few of my own but overall I am trying to gauge whether we get on and I want to look after the child.

Good luck xxx

That's a good idea I'll make one up now ready.

lollipop kid
13-11-2015, 01:14 PM

Just remembered, I also give them a little flyer with my contact details on and a few brief statements about what I do/offer etc.

Good luck xxx

That sounds like a fantastic idea, Loocyloo. I might have to steal that! (I do something similar - that is, I get them to fill in their contact details in my Visitor book, so that I have them on record, then I do a quick 'note' to myself of the other information - especially the child's name - so I can refer to it the next time I contact them or follow up. I love the idea of a form, though. Genius!)

Thanks,

LK

Mouse
13-11-2015, 01:37 PM
I do similar to Loocyloo.

At the first meeting I ask parents their info so I can fill out a form with name, address, phone numbers, email address, child's name, date of birth, days/hours needed and when care would be to start. I then note down anything we agree - fees, what meals will be included, retainers, deposit etc.

I don't give them any paperwork or printed info at all at the first visit. Once they have left I decide if I want to offer them a space, then email them either saying sorry, but I can't offer them a space at the moment, or how lovely it was to meet them and how well I think their child would fit in here. I confirm everything we have spoken about, go over fees and include my parent info that gives details of our daily routine, a sample menu, my payment policy, sickness policy etc. I include a line saying to let me know by X date if they would like to take up the space and how will will proceed - complete necessary paperwork and arrange settling sessions.

I don't give out anything like All About Me forms until contracts are signed, deposits are paid and a starting date is set.

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 02:02 PM
I do similar to Loocyloo.

At the first meeting I ask parents their info so I can fill out a form with name, address, phone numbers, email address, child's name, date of birth, days/hours needed and when care would be to start. I then note down anything we agree - fees, what meals will be included, retainers, deposit etc.

I don't give them any paperwork or printed info at all at the first visit. Once they have left I decide if I want to offer them a space, then email them either saying sorry, but I can't offer them a space at the moment, or how lovely it was to meet them and how well I think their child would fit in here. I confirm everything we have spoken about, go over fees and include my parent info that gives details of our daily routine, a sample menu, my payment policy, sickness policy etc. I include a line saying to let me know by X date if they would like to take up the space and how will will proceed - complete necessary paperwork and arrange settling sessions.

I don't give out anything like All About Me forms until contracts are signed, deposits are paid and a starting date is set.

Thanks that's really useful especially the follow up email

lollipop kid
13-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Just throwing another one out there - instead of settling in sessions, I offer the parents a home visit for the weekend before the child starts with me. At that visit, I spend lots of time on the floor with the child, getting to know them and then looking at where they sleep, eat, their favourite playthings, etc.

This way, the first four weeks of the contract are used for settling in. Plus, I find that the home visit usually ensures that the child sees me as a safe person to be around from day one, so makes the settling process so much easier all round.

I hope this helps.

LK

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Just messaged me saying she's running late coming now at 5 ish
Ha hopefully it's a one off if not it's not a good start lol lol lol

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Just throwing another one out there - instead of settling in sessions, I offer the parents a home visit for the weekend before the child starts with me. At that visit, I spend lots of time on the floor with the child, getting to know them and then looking at where they sleep, eat, their favourite playthings, etc.

This way, the first four weeks of the contract are used for settling in. Plus, I find that the home visit usually ensures that the child sees me as a safe person to be around from day one, so makes the settling process so much easier all round.

I hope this helps.

LK

Good idea for settling in well x

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Right so here goes...
Originally wanted 8-3 - 3 days a week.
Then said I was most expensive around and others charge 1.50 less than me.
Then wanted baby to sleep upstairs in MY DAUGHTER'S COT!!!!!!!!
I said no I have a snuggle bean bag thing and travel cot and a bouncer so a few options all downstairs.
She couldn't understand the ratios when I said I will have 3 under 5 including my daughter. She was acting like I was saying I'll have an extra one???
She then changed mind to 10-3 then says baby will sleep at 10.30.
Then said can she do 1 or 2 days in Dec then build up to 3 days.
Baby is breastfed said could I supply the bottles?? No!
Said r u sure you have dbs first aid etc?? I said yes otherwise I wouldn't have been able to register!
Everytime my daughter made a noise she pulled a face!
Her 2 year old son is at nursery and will continue to go there, not come to me.

Then she says she's a solicitor! !! (But in a nasty way)

Oh god help me! Do I run for the hills now??

lollipop kid
13-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Right so here goes...
Originally wanted 8-3 - 3 days a week.
Then said I was most expensive around and others charge 1.50 less than me.
Then wanted baby to sleep upstairs in MY DAUGHTER'S COT!!!!!!!!
I said no I have a snuggle bean bag thing and travel cot and a bouncer so a few options all downstairs.
She couldn't understand the ratios when I said I will have 3 under 5 including my daughter. She was acting like I was saying I'll have an extra one???
She then changed mind to 10-3 then says baby will sleep at 10.30.
Then said can she do 1 or 2 days in Dec then build up to 3 days.
Baby is breastfed said could I supply the bottles?? No!
Said r u sure you have dbs first aid etc?? I said yes otherwise I wouldn't have been able to register!
Everytime my daughter made a noise she pulled a face!
Her 2 year old son is at nursery and will continue to go there, not come to me.

Then she says she's a solicitor! !! (But in a nasty way)

Oh god help me! Do I run for the hills now??

Run! Run! Run! Very fast - and don't look back. I'm feeling stressed just reading your post. Now imagine actually working with her!??!

:censored:

Let's hope some other lovely parents come along soon.

In the meantime, tell her you have other parents interested in the space who are a better fit for the hours and days you have available, so regretfully you do not think you will be able to help her on this occasion, but wish her well with her search for childcare that better suits her needs.

All the best,

LK

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Yes you're so right, I feel really stressed now she's gone. So much more happened that I haven't even written in that post but omg no I couldn't work with her. She will be the type that thinks she's my boss I could just tell.
At least this is my first week of advertising properly. So I'm not too desperate yet ...... lol

lollipop kid
13-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Yes you're so right, I feel really stressed now she's gone. So much more happened that I haven't even written in that post but omg no I couldn't work with her. She will be the type that thinks she's my boss I could just tell.
At least this is my first week of advertising properly. So I'm not too desperate yet ...... lol

I think some parents think that, because you are newly registered, they can try their luck.

Another rule I have is never to take anyone who is looking for childcare in a hurry. (It's usually because they have behaved really badly with another setting and have been sent packing.) I also don't feel comfortable taking a child into my setting when their sibling attends somewhere else - why aren't they trying to have both children in the same setting??

Hope it helps,

LK

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 07:04 PM
I think some parents think that, because you are newly registered, they can try their luck.

Another rule I have is never to take anyone who is looking for childcare in a hurry. (It's usually because they have behaved really badly with another setting and have been sent packing.) I also don't feel comfortable taking a child into my setting when their sibling attends somewhere else - why aren't they trying to have both children in the same setting??

Hope it helps,

LK

Yes I kept thinking well why don't i have both children? Or the nursery has both?

Mouse
13-11-2015, 07:28 PM
To be honest, it doesn't sound like she was totally serious.

Do you know other childminders in the area? You could ask round to see if she has been to see any of them. Some parents seem to go round visiting everyone, but never commit to anything.

Also, never believe it when a parent says you are the most expensive and everyone is cheaper than you. If you are that much more expensive, why come to see you in the first place?

This is the ideal example of why you don't start handing out paperwork at the first visit. If you had give her your All About Me forms, it would have been a lot harder to turn round and say you can't offer her a place! Did she say when she would get back to you? I would wait until tomorrow and email her saying that due to other commitments you will be unable to offer the a space, but you wish them luck in their search for suitable childcare.:thumbsup:

Mouse
13-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Yes I kept thinking well why don't i have both children? Or the nursery has both?

It could be that the nursery doesn't take under 1s or has no vacancies at the moment, so she's looking for a stop gap until a space becomes available.

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 07:54 PM
To be honest, it doesn't sound like she was totally serious.

Do you know other childminders in the area? You could ask round to see if she has been to see any of them. Some parents seem to go round visiting everyone, but never commit to anything.

Also, never believe it when a parent says you are the most expensive and everyone is cheaper than you. If you are that much more expensive, why come to see you in the first place?

This is the ideal example of why you don't start handing out paperwork at the first visit. If you had give her your All About Me forms, it would have been a lot harder to turn round and say you can't offer her a place! Did she say when she would get back to you? I would wait until tomorrow and email her saying that due to other commitments you will be unable to offer the a space, but you wish them luck in their search for suitable childcare.:thumbsup:

She said she phoned round all cms and they were all fully booked and one of them passed on my number
The thing is I know for a fact I'm the same price also my LA said the price was right x

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 07:56 PM
It could be that the nursery doesn't take under 1s or has no vacancies at the moment, so she's looking for a stop gap until a space becomes available.

Could be but doubt it's fully booked it's dire the one she said he goes to

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Also wanting 10-3 takes up a full day space doesn't it. Plus didn't want me going out in the morning while the baby sleeps only in cot not in car or pram. Wouldn't leave me with much time to get out cos once lunch etc been done then I'd have to be back for 3 for collection.
Just seems a lot of aggro

lollipop kid
13-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Also wanting 10-3 takes up a full day space doesn't it. Plus didn't want me going out in the morning while the baby sleeps only in cot not in car or pram. Wouldn't leave me with much time to get out cos once lunch etc been done then I'd have to be back for 3 for collection.
Just seems a lot of aggro

No doubt she only wanted to pay for the 5 hours from 10-3 as well (rather than a full day). I'd like to see her getting the same deal at a Nursery - thus going across both their morning and afternoon sessions.

LK

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 08:53 PM
No doubt she only wanted to pay for the 5 hours from 10-3 as well (rather than a full day). I'd like to see her getting the same deal at a Nursery - thus going across both their morning and afternoon sessions.

LK

Yes definitely that's prob why she's not gone to the nursery. Good point

greenfaerie
13-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Yikes! Sounds like you may be dodging a bullet there. Nightmare. Making me feel really lucky to have gotten the parents that I got, I'm not good at being dictated to! :S

Run fast! And I'm loving the eloquent refusal examples that others have posted, very professional and friendly sounding. More so than my terrified shrieking and hanging up on her would be. :D

Maza
13-11-2015, 10:04 PM
One of the best pieces of advice I was given was not to take on anyone who tried to barter with you over fees. I have stuck to that advice and never regretted it. If she is a solicitor she is hardly strapped for cash. As for her letting you know she was a solicitor, so flipping what? There are thousands of them in the country, so she's not that special. The nice ones, or the ones without a chip on their shoulder wouldn't have needed to tell you that.

I made a big mistake of taking on a child who could only sleep in a darkened room, and like you he needed to sleep slap bang in the middle of my morning. It was so restricting and depressing. I would never, ever agree to it again. I prefer children to be able to sleep in a travel cot but it would have been nice to occasionally to have let him sleep in a buggy while we were out.

Another one I turned down was someone who also made a funny face every time my daughter got a bit energetic - my DD is generally chilled and gentle, so I would love to know what she ended up with. I emailed her after her second visit and wrote something along the lines of 'I sensed some anxiety regarding my DD, and whilst 'x' needs to be safe, my DD needs to be allowed the freedom to explore and be a typical 2 year old, and so I don't think the two would be compatible, therefore I would not feel comfortable offering x a place'. I would have loved to have seen her face when she read the email. She and her husband had grilled me so much and never for one moment considered that it was a two way interview.

I don't like the sound of the mum you saw at all. I would turn her down, you deserve better. x

crumpet54
13-11-2015, 10:11 PM
One of the best pieces of advice I was given was not to take on anyone who tried to barter with you over fees. I have stuck to that advice and never regretted it. If she is a solicitor she is hardly strapped for cash. As for her letting you know she was a solicitor, so flipping what? There are thousands of them in the country, so she's not that special. The nice ones, or the ones without a chip on their shoulder wouldn't have needed to tell you that.

I made a big mistake of taking on a child who could only sleep in a darkened room, and like you he needed to sleep slap bang in the middle of my morning. It was so restricting and depressing. I would never, ever agree to it again. I prefer children to be able to sleep in a travel cot but it would have been nice to occasionally to have let him sleep in a buggy while we were out.

Another one I turned down was someone who also made a funny face every time my daughter got a bit energetic - my DD is generally chilled and gentle, so I would love to know what she ended up with. I emailed her after her second visit and wrote something along the lines of 'I sensed some anxiety regarding my DD, and whilst 'x' needs to be safe, my DD needs to be allowed the freedom to explore and be a typical 2 year old, and so I don't think the two would be compatible, therefore I would not feel comfortable offering x a place'. I would have loved to have seen her face when she read the email. She and her husband had grilled me so much and never for one moment considered that it was a two way interview.

I don't like the sound of the mum you saw at all. I would turn her down, you deserve better. x

Thanks maza, yes there's no way I'm going to take her on. It's really not worth it.
Like you say it's a 2 way thing and has to be beneficial to me and my daughter as well.
Ps loved that email yes oh to be a fly on the wall ay!

BallyH
13-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Crumpet54 you are learning fast. Good choice not to choose them. I felt she was being threatening telling you she was a solicitor as if to say 'anything happens .... I'll have you!' Really good advice in the other posts for your decline email. Best of luck.

Kiddleywinks
14-11-2015, 07:21 AM
I agree you're learning fast ;)

It is hard, especially when you need to be bringing the money in, not to agree to all and every demands potential parents make, just to secure the work, but.....

It is a two-way situation - parents need to fit in with you as much as you need to fit in with them
Anything that starts to deviate from how you intend to run your business and starts raising the hairs on the back of your neck, or starts you making a 'what?!' face (internally of course lol) is to be taken as a warning that this is probably not the one for you.

I'm sure most of us at some point would have sold our souls to the devil to get our first clients when we started out (....No? Just me then :blush:) but on reflection, 6 or 10 months later, also realised that waiting for the right 'fit' ensures a more comfortable and secure working life.
My first few enquiries would have created major problems for me had we signed contracts, so I'm glad now it came to nothing, even though we were skint for months.
Stay strong. The right contract for you will come :thumbsup:

crumpet54
14-11-2015, 09:06 AM
I agree you're learning fast ;)

It is hard, especially when you need to be bringing the money in, not to agree to all and every demands potential parents make, just to secure the work, but.....

It is a two-way situation - parents need to fit in with you as much as you need to fit in with them
Anything that starts to deviate from how you intend to run your business and starts raising the hairs on the back of your neck, or starts you making a 'what?!' face (internally of course lol) is to be taken as a warning that this is probably not the one for you.

I'm sure most of us at some point would have sold our souls to the devil to get our first clients when we started out (....No? Just me then :blush:) but on reflection, 6 or 10 months later, also realised that waiting for the right 'fit' ensures a more comfortable and secure working life.
My first few enquiries would have created major problems for me had we signed contracts, so I'm glad now it came to nothing, even though we were skint for months.
Stay strong. The right contract for you will come :thumbsup:

I'm only learning fast because of you lovelies on here! Months and months of coming on this forum is the best training preparation I could have lol lol

My partner and I were chatting about it and we've managed for 18 months on just his wage so we can wait until a better family come along. Although my own wage would be nice thus side of Xmas! Lol

crumpet54
14-11-2015, 11:42 AM
You'll all be pleased to know I contacted her and said that I was unable to meet their needs etc etc (all what had been advised on here thank you ) and she said ok thanks for letting me know

And rellllllaaaaaaxxxxx lol
What a relief x

Mouse
14-11-2015, 12:04 PM
You'll all be pleased to know I contacted her and said that I was unable to meet their needs etc etc (all what had been advised on here thank you ) and she said ok thanks for letting me know

And rellllllaaaaaaxxxxx lol
What a relief x

Well done!

It's good to know this board can help new childminders and hopefully give them the confidence to take a moment to think about what is best for them. I've seen so many new minders take on the first family that comes along, agreeing to all sorts of ridiculous conditions or reducing fees, then regretting it after a short while.

You've done very well to get enquiries so soon, so you're obviously doing something right. Keep going and the perfect family will come along soon :thumbsup:

crumpet54
14-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Well done!

It's good to know this board can help new childminders and hopefully give them the confidence to take a moment to think about what is best for them. I've seen so many new minders take on the first family that comes along, agreeing to all sorts of ridiculous conditions or reducing fees, then regretting it after a short while.

You've done very well to get enquiries so soon, so you're obviously doing something right. Keep going and the perfect family will come along soon :thumbsup:

Thanks mouse x xx