PDA

View Full Version : Outings risk assessments

sarah707
06-08-2008, 07:33 AM
I know this is confusing a lot of people, so I thought it might be helpful to break it down into sections, look at each section and work out what people might do to meet the requirements.

So, the EYFS Statutory Framework states -

For each type of outing, providers must carry out a full risk assessment

What type of outing do you think this should cover..? If we all share, it will help everyone

Obvious ones include - school runs, ducks, park, shops, friends ... please add more!!

which includes an assessment of required adult:child ratios

Ratios are not relevant for Childminders - we can only have the numbers stated on our certificates. To cover yourself, state that you are within your ratios for each outing somewhere on each risk assessment.

This assessment must take account of the nature of the outing.

So if you are going by bus, you would think about how to control children at the stop and remembering bus fare; if you are going by car, think about having enough petrol and suitable car seats; if you are walking, consider wrist bands, talking about personal safety, dog poo etc

The assessment must be reviewed before embarking on each specific outing.

It does not say the assessment must be re-written, they accept that is not possible. Just 'reviewed'... think about where you keep your risk assessments so you can show Ofsted you have easy access to them for reviewing purposes.

Providers should obtain written parental permission for children to take part in outings.

This should be with your initial paperwork... I intend to put a blank copy of the permission form with the outings risk assessments, to show I have thought about it.

Providers should take essential records and equipment on outings, for example, contact telephone numbers for the parents of children on the outing, first aid kit, a mobile phone.

I have included these things on my form as tick boxes. It makes it easier than writing them out every time.

Records should be kept about vehicles in which children are transported, including insurance details and a list of named drivers. Drivers using their own transport should have adequate insurance cover.

I intend to put a list of car paperwork in the outings risk assessments file, which is by now taking over an entire shelf and making a bid for world domination.

This is my Outings Risk Assessment form - I hope it inspires :D

crazybones
06-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Your everyday risk assessments are reviewed daily anyway - mentally and if anything changes then you can amend it on your form when you get back. For example recently they were relaying the path to our school so I had to change the route for a few days, so I came home and added an amendment to my risk assessment to cover those few days and then reverted back to the original one when the path was finished.

mimo
06-08-2008, 08:38 AM
thanks for the example sarah after spending most of yesterday redoing my policys i am now doing my risk assessments great to see an example mine look along the same lines. On the subject of parents giving written permisson do i have to get them to sign that i can take them out on each trip ie school run ,shops ect at the moment they have just signed to sy i can take them out in the car ,walking or public transport and then they sign a permission slip if it is a special or long journey. If i do i have to get them to sign for each trip can i do the trip then either walking or by car on the same permission form .Sorry for all the questions but i have read the eyfs pack 10 imes and i am either completly thick or its written in a different language:laughing:
thanks

sarah707
06-08-2008, 08:47 AM
My outings permission is the same as yours ... car, walking, public transport etc.

I decide how I am transporting them on the day :D

Mrs.L.C
06-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I have 2 pages full of consents, 1 of which is for taking children out to parks, walks, tots groups etc and another for taking them in the car/public transport etc and so on

Mrs.L.C
06-08-2008, 03:41 PM
This is my Outings Risk Assessment form - I hope it inspires :D[/QUOTE]

Liking your risk assesment form. thanks for the help/ideas

Wanted somehting like the ones on the Bromey website but its alot of writing so wanted a tick chart type thing and you have done it

Monkey1
06-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Thank you again! Some places of interest have their own risk assesments on their websites etc

butterfly
06-08-2008, 09:16 PM
i really must get on and do my risk assessments. have given it serious thought but unfortunately haven't put pen to paper yet!!

PaulaR
06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Thank you Sarah. I pinched that one from you. Do we only need the complicated house risk assessment and the outings? Or are there anymore??

miffy
06-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Cheers Sarah

Will take a look later

Miffy xx

Spangles
06-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Thank you Sarah, that's really useful and I'll definitely be able to adapt that.

sarah707
07-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Do we only need the complicated house risk assessment and the outings? Or are there anymore??

House - every room, garden, outings...

Everything children come into contact with according to the eyfs

See page 33 of the statutory framework :D