PDA

View Full Version : Interested in childminding

Chrissie88
29-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Hi guys!

I am strongly considering becoming a childminder. I currently work with animals for a well known charity. However, the distance i commute is difficult (as well as ruining my car). I have always had a need to care for anything that's needs it which is why I was driven to caring for animals. Yet I have always felt the same way for children. I think they are fantastic and I would love to be apart of educating them and showing them how great the world can be. I could imagine myself taking them for park walks, gardening in the garden, social groups etc. I would love it.

However, it is a big step going from a secure job (even tho it is hard and I pay out £400 a month on petrol) to a job that may not be consistent and hard to get rolling.

Can I please ask what made you all become childminders? Was it the right choice for you? Do you enjoy it? What is the best thing about it for you? And the worst?

I am 27 years old with little childcare knowledge but willingness to learn.

Thank you

moggy
30-08-2015, 04:52 PM
I do it so I can be at home with my own children. It fits with our family life very well. That is the best thing for me- and the children I care for are lovely and so are their families, I get a reasonable income and I enjoy being at home and being my own boss.

Worst things- unreliable income (it just take 1-2 families to give notice and your income can half or worse in just a few weeks). Ofsted hanging over you. The moments you have 3 crying children to deal with. When one flicks their dinner up the walls again... but having my own children I know what it is like!

tulip0803
30-08-2015, 06:00 PM
I also became a childminder as I had children of my own. My husband worked shifts which made it difficult for me to work without putting 2 children in childcare. I had no knowledge other than my own children and babysitting as a teenager.

The good stuff - I am my own boss and can choose what to do and when. I set my own terms. I love working with children. I have been home for my children. I earn a good income. I get paid to play :)

The bad stuff - It isn't guaranteed, twice I have had part-time work and childminded too (in a pub and in a family centre), sometimes parents can be slow paying (payment up front never arrears and no pay no care sorts this), The child that does not stop crying all day for weeks whatever you do (separation anxiety, I have only ever had 1). Insecurity I had 2 parents give notice the same month (both had 1 pre school and one at school siblings, 1 4 days, 1 5 days a week), It can take over your house, you do not finish work when they all go home, theirs cleaning, tidying, setting up for the next day, paperwork. Lack of adults to talk to

BUT I would never want to do anything else, my son was 7 & my daughter 2 when 1 started - My son is 23 and will hopefully qualify as a vet next year, My daughter starts uni in september and DD2 starts secondary school :)

You need to find out what the demand is like in your area, some are very busy others very quiet, You can find out by asking your LA family information service. Registration can take a year from starting the course so is not quick.

Ripeberry
30-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Hi, instead of jumping in with childminding, have you thought about maybe helping out in a pre-school? To see if you like being around children for a start. Most CMs (not all), went into childminding so that they could be at home with their own children, or they had worked in the childcare sector and then wanted a change. If you are in England, it's sad to say, that OFSTED have spoilt CM, especially with the constant paperwork! Caring for the children seems to be a small part of the job. Most of the time parents seem to be the problem and although you may not have to commute, your home is not your own. You can't shut the door on it.
Not trying to put you off, but you need to know that at the moment there seems to be many 'cons'. I was a CM for six years and I gave up in July. Glad to get my home back and OFSTED off my back!

Good luck in whatever you decide :thumbsup: