PDA

View Full Version : planning for over 5's??

Mrs.L.C
05-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Do we need to do planning for the over 5's? Currently I use playwork with my after schoolers atm and let them decide what to do and self risk asses but supervised

sarah707
05-08-2008, 07:43 PM
The principles of the eyfs cover all children including over 5s... but it doesn't say anything about the way we are supposed to look after the learning and development requirements of children once they leave reception class.

I intend to do some kind of ongoing memories folder with over 5s - showing the activities they have enjoyed, asking them to put in comments, photos etc. I will share this with Ofsted and it will be a nice record of their time with me when they leave.

I agree with what you are saying about following playwork principles, but if you read the eyfs guidance, playwork settings up to reception age have to follow eyfs as well, so they will be changing the way they work and I imagine this will impact on older children because they will be involved in the activities the younger ones are enjoying...

As things stand at the moment, it really does seem to be a grey area... except that every child is unique and needs to be part of empowering relationships in an enabling environment with an ethos of holistic learning and devleopment surrounding them :D

EllieF
05-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I work with school age children, and will be using a learning diary for my reception age children, and I am able to explain how I work to a childs individual needs with the older ones e.g. a child who did not want to play outside, or do anything except play with lego, we extended his play using "next steps" by making lego men out of junk modelling and designing our own lego men from ablank template. This led to him interacting with the other children more, and he now goes outside and plays and is far more sociable in groups and doesny always play with the lego every day, but enjoys other activities
I havent anything written down but will use examples such as this in my SEF and during discussion at inspection time
Hope that helps
Ellie

Cammie Doodle
06-08-2008, 11:21 AM
I follow (loosely) my long term themes for all the children, I have an after school Album where I put phots of the activities and things they do . This was so they did not feel left out as the Little Ones all have their own learning Journey books :)

Mrs.L.C
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
That sounds like a good idea. My older children have never been fussed as I dont usualy have any younger children when they are here and I display photos of the outings we do but maybe a small photo book for them to keep and write in that they could them selves...Hmmm...got me thinking