PDA

View Full Version : Exhaustion/Burnout

CherryMoon
08-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Hi All,
I'm new to Childminding (registered since May this year) and I'm struggling with the hours I spend working, heading towards exhaustion already. I was a teacher before, so I know all about long hours(!) but what I didn't consider with this career change is that I had a break every 6-8 weeks before (although I'd spend much of that time working at least I was at home and I could have the odd lie in).

I want to know:

a) how do you fit it all in? Do you have a dedicated time to sit down and do your assessments/planning etc. Or do you just squeeze it in around home life?

b) how much holiday do you take?

c) how do you make sure you get time to rest?

I should also mention that I have a one year old and in my previous job all my 'me' time was just for me!

JCrakers
08-07-2015, 04:04 PM
I used to work Mon-Fri but at Easter cut this down to Mon-Thurs as I was working myself into the ground. I have two teenagers which I find are harder than children...lol Just before Xmas I was feeling the same as you...exhausted form doing a 50hr week. I was stating to hate my job and had actually started to browse the internet for something different. I dropped a day and now I feel much better :thumbsup:

I don't work before 7.45am and don't work a minute after 6pm. I refuse to work out of hours.
All my paperwork is completed whilst the children enjoy free play. I do little short bursts of paperwork (15-20mins,here and there, while they play) I already do a 10hr day and I'm not prepared to do paperwork out of hours as basically my wages don't pay me enough to do so. :D
Tidy up time takes place before I finish at 6pm, the children do it.

At 6pm I start making tea for the family and work is shut away in the conservatory. I don't do any paperwork at the weekend and try not to answer texts from work.
I've been doing this job for nearly 8yrs and have learnt over time that if time isn't managed properly then this job actually takes over your life. You start to live and breathe it and it can become a bit of an obsession but there needs to be a switching off point.
Im now at a point where my two children are older (13 and 16) so it does entitle me to sit down and do nothing which is nice after 12yrs of running around after them

I take 5 weeks unpaid holiday - 2 at Xmas, 1 at Easter and 2 in the summer. This gives me a well needed break and a refresh, ready to start again with a fresh head otherwise I start to get down about all the demands, depressed and its all overwhelming. Looking after children is very hard work and is draining without a break. :D

Make sure you look after yourself :D

greenfaerie
08-07-2015, 04:43 PM
I currently only work 2 days a week. (As I got a customer 3 months ago, and that was all that they want) I'm actually holding back from advertising at the moment because I don't think I'd survive working any more at the moment! I'll start actively looking for more customers when I think I can face it. O_o

As for the holidays, I am term time only, since I wanted very defined holidays to get one on one time with my own toddler. I LOVE knowing I have that break coming up!

I mostly do the paperwork during nap time. (writing up observations, filing them and planning from them) Any printing or typing up new policies etc usually happens in any free time I have outside of work, but I'm a perfectionist and don't think that I could do it justice rushing it during the day.

For my rest I beg my own mother to visit at the weekend and get up with the toddler so I can get a lie in! :)

loocyloo
08-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Ooo, take care of yourself.

I take 5 weeks unpaid holiday (2 @ Christmas, 1 @ easter and 2 in summer holidays ) Plus occasional other days ( although they are usually because I need to take one of my children somewhere! )

I also only work 4 days a week.

I try to keep on top of paperwork during my day, but I do spend a few hours one weekend a month updating LJ, planning for next month, writing invoices etc. I usually spend a day over the summer holidays doing my tax return ( as despite my good intentions every year .. I always get about 6 mths behind! ) and updating/reviewing my policies etc.

It's hard to start with but with a bit of time and thought you can get things done in the day. I ensure that I have at least half hour to myself as all children either have a nap after lunch or a quiet time sitting on sofa reading books/listening to an audio story. In the holidays that's when I might put a dvd on! I could use that time to do paperwork but I try to make sure I have a (hot) cup of tea and sit down! Although I often also use that time to prep tea and have just sat down when someone wakes! But at least I have had half hour with my own thoughts!

Xx

natlou82
08-07-2015, 04:52 PM
I was getting a bit stressed out earlier in the year and decided to make subtle changes after the great advice I received on this forum. I try and do little bits of tidying throughout the day whilst LO's are having lunch etc, then aim to do a bit of paperwork at nap time (sometimes I do just chill though ;-). My DH works shifts so where possible he helps with the end of day tidy which he starts at 5pm whilst the children are having dinner. We don't get any more toys out after dinner and we put the TV on and chill before parents arrive. All of these things help make my evenings easier. I do still have to do some paperwork after hours as I'm studying my level 3. I work Mon-Fri 7am - 6pm and usually find by the weekend I just want to do nothing lol! Holidays are very important and I take 4/5 weeks unpaid.

moggy
08-07-2015, 05:05 PM
I keep my sanity by...

only working 4 days a week
doing minimal planning, and assessments 1x per term only
only having 3 mindees (all EYFS) on my books
taking 5 weeks of holiday a year
closed all bank hols
I use Tapestry online system- no printing photos, no scrap books
I write daily diaries by hand while children are having meals/snacks
I get all mindees in same routine- all nap 1-3pm every day
I type obs into Tapestry when all mindees are napping or in 10 mins after they have gone home
I prep dinner when they are napping and have a quick tidy up
parents do not cross the doorstep so no long chats, shoes already on and out they go, so not taking up my evening
I am flexible and laid back when it come to what we do each day- no point stressing about trying to do what was 'planned'
I do not have afterschool children- too stressful for me!
I really like the families and children I work with, I enjoy their company and miss them when they are away!
I really don't feel stressed at all, I love my work, I have plenty of spare time... maybe you are trying to do too much?

I hope you can find a new balance in your work/life. Take care of yourself.

Ripeberry
08-07-2015, 05:24 PM
I've been a CM for 6 years. Giving up next week. But I've always been TTO and have only ever worked 4 days a week.
Don't think I was ever cut out to work full time with a full ratio. It's just the way I am. I would have burnt out long ago!
It seems that the best balance is to have at least one day to yourself per week and make sure you have holidays or be TTO. Too many CMs end up never having a holiday. That's not good for anyone's health or marriage!

kellib
08-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I don't work a Friday and I wouldn't give that up for anyone, it makes a huge difference having a day to myself!

I'm also term time only so it's never that long to my next break, I'm always on the countdown! :)

CherryMoon
08-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Wow, thank you everyone. Lots for me to take away and think about. I guess a common theme is not working Fridays and it was my quiet day (with only one mindee and my own LO), but I've just agreed to take on another child :panic: My husband and I are in a really tight spot financially and at the moment every little helps so I'm trying to get as much coming in as possible. I have decided to work only with under 5s, which cuts down on all the faffing (toing and froing, planning etc.) and after reading your responses I'm really glad I made that decision.

I will certainly bear all of your tips in mind as I try to make sense of my new job and try to get a work/life balance. First step is early to bed, so I'm signing off and going to get some kip!

Thank you all x